Engine Fuel Filters Lehman 80hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adelaide

Vessel Name
Adelaide
Vessel Make
1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
For those with an FL80/FL120, how often do you change the twin fuel filters on the motor? I have a Racor filter that is changed 1-2 times per year, the fuel filters on the engine haven't been replaced since 8/07. I am sure it's due, but how often are others switching these out?

What is the process of doing it? Is it a pain? Thanks,

Adelaide

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. Adelaide. While some may find changing the CAV filters on the 120 Lehman's no problem, to me they are a PIA. As a result I run 2 micron CAV filters and 2 micron Racor's. This, in the past has been a controversial topic with some advocating progressive filtering...30-20-10 micron Racor or whatever and 5-2 CAV whereas in my case as I mentioned I want to keep those dadgummed CAV filters clean as long as possible. Mine are about the same vintage as yours.

We change the primary Racors every 100 hours or sooner if we get dirty fuel, the secondaries get changed every 200 hours. BUT this will depend on the microns of your Racors. The larger the micron rating the more often the secondary should be changed. But that's just our schedule. Chuck

I have changed the Cavs once in 300 hours, It did not seem too difficult but you have to be prepared to put them somewhere and capture any remaining fuel.

If I recall a milk bottle with the top cut off worked well.

As long as I have clean fuel in the primary filter (racor) I do not think I will mess with the Cavs any time soon.

JohnP

We got rid of the CAV filters on our FL120s a long, long time ago and switched to the Parker Hannfin spin-on adaptors that mount on the same stock filter holder. So changing the filters is a snap, plus you can pre-fill the spin-on filters with fuel to greatly reduce the time it takes to bleed the system.

We change the element in the Racor 500 primary filter for each engine at every oil change, so between 100 and 150 hours. The element coming out always looks just like the new element going in other than being darkened by the fuel, and we have never gotten any water in the bottoms of the Racors. So we change the spin-on filters on the engine every three years or so.

We follow the advice we were given when we bought the boat by our diesel shop and friends in the marine diesel industry and use 2 micron filters throughout the fuel system. We would have anyway as I'm a big fan of stopping crud as far away from an injection system as possible.

Last edited:
It's my experience also that they don't need to be changed very often (if you don't get dirty fuel and you have proper filtration upstream of course). I change mine every other year but that is probably overkill. But it gives me peace of mond so it's worth the trouble.

Thanks for all the responses. It's photos to know that it isn't something I have to do right this minute. I'll probably wait until after the season.

Marin, I'm interested in your adapters. Do you have a link to more info?

Thanks,

Adelaide

The adaptors have been the subject of several discussions in the past. Check the archives for the posts and photos. I'm writing this on an iPad on location and don't have the links and photos handy.

Thanks Marin, I'll look it up when I get back home. If I have questions, I'll give you a PM.

I have a photo of the adapters on one of our engines-- I've included it in a post about the adapter opinion the recent past--- so you can see the setup. I think other people posted photos, too.

What I don't know is if the FL80 uses the same secondary filter setup as the FL120, so I don't know if the Parker Hannifin (sp?) spin-on adapter will fit the 4-cylinder engine. On the FL120 you need two adapter kits per engine. When we bought them they were about $50 apiece.

Back
Top Bottom