View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
We do what works and apparently works for most of the other boaters around here. So now that we have resolved our unreliable anchor issue anchoring is just something we do, not something we analyze. So while I read the posts on the subject I'm not into the topic enough to check everyone's math. Besides, I'm no good at math so I get my dog to do it for me and he's not here right now.

But whether the swing diameter with 5:1 is 500 feet or 5 miles I don't really care because using 5:1 hasn't been a problem for us or any of the people we've anchored around who are presumably using the same sort of scope.

When we set the anchor we make sure that with our rode stretched out we aren't going to end up on rocks or in too-shallow water when the tide goes out. Most of the time the weight of the chain keeps us fairly close to the anchor itself but we still check out where we'd end up if the wind came up and took all the catenary out of the chain. And so far, 5:1 or greater has never posed a problem in this regard.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote