Know a Good Diesel Mech?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
I had to wait for 3 weeks for the Mech to come out to my boat today. I took the day off and really didnt want to spend the vacation hours.. so I waited he came around 1000 and said he would be back to install the Fuel Injection Pump I provided. I waited.. ALL DAY.. never called, never said sorry I am delayed nothing.. end of the day, I button the boat up and now I am fuming.. anyone know of a good diesel mechanic in Pensacola?

Customer service.. what a freaking concept!!

3 week wait and burn a day off too? I'd be teaching myself how to install one by now.

DIY

Depends on the engine, what equippment is required to Time the pump.

a 3208 throwaway is easiest , R&R with a drill bit as timing pin.

Many Volvo are really hard and need a bag full of tools.

Depends.

Read Da Book!

FF

Last edited:
3 week wait and burn a day off too? I'd be teaching myself how to install one by now.

Exactly! One more case made for old school diesel engines to me. Common rail, electronic controls are going to be much harder to learn.

pm sent, hope he helps

We had a really good diesel mechanic in my area. Worked full time for a company and worked on the side for $50.00 per hour.

He was so good he was sent to Afganistan by his company. He's been gone about three years now.

I guess when I need a real diesel mechanic I'll have to call the local Volvo shop. List price plus 3% if you use a credit card. :mad:

DIY, I considered DIY, I have DIY other projects on my boat. Timing sequence of a new fuel injection pump is a show stopper for me. If it isnt done correctly I will create more issues. My intent was to watch and learn so I could do it on my own next time it is required. CP, come on down and teach me.. ;-)

My intent was to watch and learn so I could do it on my own next time it is required

Depending on what is required to time the unit , that could be 2 boat bucks for seldom used instruments.

FF.

DIY, I considered DIY, I have DIY other projects on my boat. Timing sequence of a new fuel injection pump is a show stopper for me. If it isnt done correctly I will create more issues. My intent was to watch and learn so I could do it on my own next time it is required.

That reminds me of the story about the guy who buys a fiddle and wants to learn how to play it. He goes to the symphony and watches, then comes home and tries to apply what he learned by watching. It sounds terrible.

He tells his friend "I think I'll go back but this time I'll sit closer!" :rolleyes:

You may find that just watching a trained and skilled person doesn't easily translate into knowing how to do what you watched being done. These people have years of training and experience.

But, how often do you expect to adjust the timing sequence of a new injector pump anyway? It seems to me that once it's done, it's done for good. Just pay the man and go boating.

"You may find that just watching a trained and skilled person doesn't easily translate into knowing how to do what you watched being done"

Sometimes it works , US Navy pilot training is monkey see , monkey do.

"Sometimes it works , US Navy pilot training is monkey see , monkey do. "

Indeed! Shock Bad.. Banana good!

"You may find that just watching a trained and skilled person doesn't easily translate into knowing how to do what you watched being done"

Sometimes it works , US Navy pilot training is monkey see , monkey do.

I wouldn't want a surgeon that had never watched an operation.

Belay my last! Fuel injector pump installed by a different mechanic. already to get out on the water now!

your trawler picture

I am looking at it, and I am thinking Tiliakas out of Fernandina Beach, like the one in my photo. But the house says Gulf Coast. Help me out here.

Attachments

• 3-Land's End @ Spanish Wells Aug. 1979.jpg
    3-Land's End @ Spanish Wells Aug. 1979.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 97
Most of diesel mechanics is just nuts and bolts. If you can find a good book on your paticular motor. Have at it.
Keep looking for your mechanic. If you really screw things up ( Doubt full)
I rebuilt the entire top end on a cat 3208.
I had never been into an engine befor in my life.
What have you got to loose, but time on the water.
Take it apart put it back together.
If you can't repair it baybe it shouldn't be on the boat.

SD

On that trawler question, I was talking to Swampu. I am not very familiar with using these forums. Sorry

Here in Biloxi, the house always wins! Jerry, your welcome to coast anytime and the first night of beer is on me.

Jerry, no worries wasn't sure you were talking to me so I didnt want to be rude and ignore you.

As a professional mechanic (forklifts of course) I can offer a few ideas to help the repair go smoother when you do have to pull a mechanic in. One of the first things is to have the work area/ engine room open and picked up when he arrives. This keeps you from paying $90 an hour for him to pull hatch covers and shuffle gallons of oil around. Have the boat cooled down and even set up a fan if feasible. This will probably mean a lot to guy who has up and down piers and crawling into tight spots all day. Have plenty of lighting set up for him. You may want to offer to get rid of any fluids or filters he ends up with. OReilly Auto Parts will let you dispose of any fluids at no charge. This may save you some labor time and a disposal fee. Depending on how he charges travel time (portal to portal is common in our industry), and how soon you need the repair done, you may tell him to take care of the repair the next time he is in the area. Sometimes this will save you some of the cost to get to and from your boat, since another customer is also paying to get him in the area. And most of ALL, don't let your dock neighbor corner him with questions about HIS boat while on your service call. This generally means that YOU are paying a buck fifty a minute for him to quiz your mechanic!:facepalm:

Forkliftt said:
YOU are paying a buck fifty a minute for him to quiz your mechanic!:facepalm:

I have used this line to end many unsolicited conversations. Puts things into perspective pretty quick. Conversely I've had customers request service calls to explain how things should be done so they can go the DIY route in the future if they choose.

I'm happy to oblige as they are typically my best customers.

Call Andrew at A1mds.com.
andrew @ a1mds. com

I'm located mid Atlantic.
visit the website.
a1mds.com

I have used this line to end many unsolicited conversations. Puts things into perspective pretty quick. Conversely I've had customers request service calls to explain how things should be done so they can go the DIY route in the future if they choose.

I'm happy to oblige as they are typically my best customers.
So true. It seems some customers don't realize they are paying you to listen to their fishing stories. And then sometimes they do but don't care:).

As a professional mechanic (forklifts of course) I can offer a few ideas to help the repair go smoother when you do have to pull a mechanic in. One of the first things is to have the work area/ engine room open and picked up when he arrives. This keeps you from paying $90 an hour for him to pull hatch covers and shuffle gallons of oil around. Have the boat cooled down and even set up a fan if feasible. This will probably mean a lot to guy who has up and down piers and crawling into tight spots all day. Have plenty of lighting set up for him. You may want to offer to get rid of any fluids or filters he ends up with. OReilly Auto Parts will let you dispose of any fluids at no charge. This may save you some labor time and a disposal fee. Depending on how he charges travel time (portal to portal is common in our industry), and how soon you need the repair done, you may tell him to take care of the repair the next time he is in the area. Sometimes this will save you some of the cost to get to and from your boat, since another customer is also paying to get him in the area. And most of ALL, don't let your dock neighbor corner him with questions about HIS boat while on your service call. This generally means that YOU are paying a buck fifty a minute for him to quiz your mechanic!:facepalm:

All good advice there. When I had my AC replaced, I removed the table and cushions that might have been in the way before the mechanic got there.

Back
Top Bottom