View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hi Marin,
You're right Marin. Personal preference. Could even be more important than bottoms in anchor land. You know I process all the anchor stuff in front of me and then look behiend for more and I try to be objective but I know I fall short at times.
Re the Rocna my preference and philosophy dictates I'd prolly never buy one just because their short scope performance has (to my knowledge) never been praised and has been criticized several times in anchor tests. I gather that ther'e are many boaters here that always have enough room to anchor at 7-1 but I rarely do and when it's possible (without compromise) I still limit scope to about 4-1. 5-1 in a gale and I've never dragged. Many here would consider this careless.
I'm not say'in it did but it may have played a part in my using too much scope thereby limiting my ability to keep off the rocks and we hit a rock at 2am. So I've had the experience of using too much scope.
So Marin is spot on saying personal preference is profound in anchor thinking and I'll be the first to admit that I can be less that fully objective but I promise you I try hard to be objective.
Re the OP ..... I suspect that the shank on the Fortress is not only highly tapered but is probably made out of much stronger aluminum. The parent material in aluminum products is very important.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote