Boat Registration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
I understand and have been through the process of registering a boat in my state.What is involved in registering a boat with the USCG and do I still have to register at the state level?I'm reading through my state info but I can't seem to find the info.

:hide:

The last time I documented a boat I used:
Marine Documentations, Inc
34 West Queens Way
Hampton VA 23669
757-722-3240

The cost was $375. That was bout 5 years ago so the price may have gone up. After that you will recieve an annual renewel each year directly from the Coast Guard in west Virginia

Documenting a boat is not required but registering with your state is
John

It takes 2 forms available w/instructions on the CG website.

I understand and have been through the process of registering a boat in my state.What is involved in registering a boat with the USCG and do I still have to register at the state level?I'm reading through my state info but I can't seem to find the info.

:hide:

It depends on the state. In California, if a boat is USCG-documented, it needn't be licensed in the state, but would still be liable for user/sales tax and property taxes. Other states differ.

Google the USCG documentation site, download the form, complete it and send it and some money to get it done. My builder provided necessary boat measurements for completing the form.

The last time I documented a boat I used:
Marine Documentations, Inc
34 West Queens Way
Hampton VA 23669
757-722-3240

The cost was $375. That was bout 5 years ago so the price may have gone up. After that you will recieve an annual renewel each year directly from the Coast Guard in west Virginia

Documenting a boat is not required but registering with your state is
John

Save money by doing the paperwork yourself. It isn't that difficult.

Save money by doing the paperwork yourself. It isn't that difficult.

Mark is absolutely correct. I have documented three boats without using a service. One was imported as Mark's was. It is just not that difficult. Because I had to get one out of Florida before the 90 day cruise permit expired, they even rushed one through as a "hardship case".

Most states do require a state registration, but you just usually have to display the decal. Not the numbers.

One's dinghy isn't likely to meet USCG requirements to be documented, so it will most likely need to be registered with the state, particularly if it is engine or sail powered.

Greetings,
I suspect Mr. markpierce is absolutely correct. Big boat documented with the feds and the dink licensed by the state with a yearly renewal state sticker required. Used to be in FL you could mark your dink with T/T "Your boat's documented name" and get by with that but I wouldn't advise that now.

Greetings,
I suspect Mr. markpierce is absolutely correct. Big boat documented with the feds and the dink licensed by the state with a yearly renewal state sticker required. Used to be in FL you could mark your dink with T/T "Your boat's documented name" and get by with that but I wouldn't advise that now.

Mr. RT, a boat domiciled in Florida over their grace period has to be registered whether documented or not. My boat is documented, and is registered in Florida. A decal is displayed on the port side window. The documentation number is the registration number showing on the decal. The dinghy has to be properly registered, and display the numbers and decal. The decal on the dinghy is also on the port side.

Greetings,
Agreed Mr. M. Was just making a general statement and threw in that "tidbit" of how I remembered FL years ago.

markpierce said:
One's dinghy isn't likely to meet USCG requirements to be documented, so it will most likely need to be registered with the state, particularly if it is engine or sail powered.

That is correct, Mark. Dinks with engines are registered through California DMV. Our "big" boats that are documented are ignored by California....for now!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

The biggest change lately with the USCG documentation process was that states could NO LONGER TITLE a boat...funny just did mine and the NJ DMV titles it...you pay for it, they keep it and send it to the capital where it's shredded per USCG regs. Ain't government just a beacon of hope and efficiency sometimes!:D

I remember the T/T (tender TO) stuff also...most states now require registration though if it is powered.

I remember the T/T (tender TO) stuff also...most states now require registration though if it is powered.

That's correct for California. No longer Tender To allowed. Money, money, money! However, I never liked the idea of having my vessel name on the dink because it lets the bad guys know when we are on or off the boat.

Until 3-4 years ago Louisiana did not require a documented vessel to register with the state. That changed when someone must have seen the chance to make the state a few more bucks.
Steve W.

SCDNR said:
Documented Vessels are exempt from registration in South Carolina.
SCDNR - Documented Vessels

SCDNR is the titling and registering agency in SC.Tenders and dinghies have to be registered and titled here because they do not meet the USCG standards for documentation.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page
Here is the FAQ on how to documenting a vessel.It's way cheaper to DIY the documentation yourself.If I understand what I read correctly,it's just shy of $200 all in.Sure beats paying triple that every few years for a state registration.I pay $84 every three years on my 9.6ft J boat,Pond Scum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom