Carpet Glue Removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I pulled up the carpet in my main salon today. There is still a good amount of adhesive residue left behind and also some of the underside of the carpet itself.
What is the best/easiest way to remove this stuff?
I was thinking of a heat gun. Any other solutions?

Soaked my concrete floor with vinegar soaked towel for 20 minutes and it scraped up fairly easily. Wiped with a wet rag after to dilute. Not sure how it would work on a wood floor in a boat?

Stunk to high heaven though. Good luck and strong arms are important ingredients.

CP,

A heat gun and 2" putty knife will work well. Keep it moving so you do not scorch the sole. You may also be able to find adhesive remover in the hardware store. One brand was Old Hard Adhesive Remover.

It does stink. Ventilation and a respirator are a good idea.

Rob

Not an easy job. Depending on the area you need to scrape a Fein Multi=tool with scraper blade might be a workable solution. But alas that only cuts a 2 inch swath. You don't say what flavor of adhesive was used, but if it the old oil base, outdoor stuff I know of as peanut butter glue, It is a real b@#$&. I have used an ice scraper that I sharpened just for the task, but seeing your from Texas, finding one of those, is out of the question. The goal is to provide a relatively flat surface to carpet over. so perfection is not necessary. Hopefully you have the environmentally friendly, don't work worth too good, water base stuff. It is a bit easier to deal with. A heavy scraper with a very straight ground edge is best. The edge should be sharp, but by sharp I mean no more than 45 deg. from vertical. Heavy, gives the tool momentum. Why would someone use adhesive to glue carpet to wood? They never hear of carpet staples?

carpet Glue Removal

I'm thinking of going with a teak and holly plywood floor.
All I need to do is get rid of the raised tracks and flatten the floor.
I will know more if the weather clears today and I can take it out for a hard run. I want to see how much noise there will be without the carpeting.

I'm thinking of going with a teak and holly plywood floor.
All I need to do is get rid of the raised tracks and flatten the floor.

I normally wouldn't recommend it because of the glue gumming them up. How about trying either a 36 grit flapper wheel or gasket removal pad on a 4 inch angle grinder. Gasket removal pads look like 3M Scotch Brite pads, only a whole lot harder. If the floor area is not that large you may accomplish it quicker than scraping.

Masking off the work area with thin plastic visqueen and wear a respirator for sure as it would be dusty. Make sure you only lightly "kiss" that grinder with very little pressure though or it may remove more than you bargained for.

Never tried it, just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the helpful hints folks.
I tried a heat gun and it worked really well if I was going to re-carpet, but I am not. Also the existing corners of the plywood are damaged and would take a while to repair strong enough for my needs. Since I am always on limited time, I figure I can cut new plywoood faster than I could clean and repair the existing ply pieces. I will be gluing the teak and holly ply down on top of the new ply.

Thanks for the helpful hints folks.
I tried a heat gun and it worked really well
Sorry,this is way off topic, might help someone. I used my new heat gun to: 1. Remove varnish (so what?), 2. Make pork crackling skin on a:hide::hide: leg roast. Worked a treat, never got it right before. BruceK.

That's not off topic. I was about to ask about the cracklin since I already had the heat gun out. Thanks.

Tony,
At least it wasn`t about anchors. BruceK

Back
Top Bottom