Bellingham, Washington

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
March 12, diesel,*$3.80/gallon

-- Edited by Marin at 13:59, 2008-03-31

What's the tax deal there? Is this tx incl, or plus tx? Maybe no tax?

And, I understand it's probably red, no tax diesel, but some states charge sales tax anyway.

Red Diesel gets no Fed. Road Tax (approx. $0.49/gal.). All states that have a sales tax will typically add it to the price of fuel.

Anything to squeeze a nickel out of you.

In Washington state the price on the pump is the price you pay. Even though we have a sales tax it is not added to the pump price, no hidden tax.

There is sometimes the bonus of a cash price, and/or a volume price which is deducted from the pump price.

Ken Buck

Ken,

Perhaps, but you can bet that pump price has the sales tax built in to it. The state is gonna collect it, one way or the other.

I fill at a commercial dock (Janokvich & Sons) in LA, and there are no posted prices. The price is whatever they quote me verbally when I tie off. Suffice it to say, I've cultivated quite the relationship with those guys over the last couple of years, since my average fuel load is 700-800 gal.

Historically, Jankovich has been the least expensive fuel dock in the LA area for years... but they won't quote prices over the phone. I'll be filling up here soon, and will post an LA price thread in the topic.

The price I quoted for Bellingham (which may not be the price today) includes all taxes. There is no road tax on marine diesel here but there is sales tax and problaby some other ones too.

There is a truck operation in Bellingham, York Fuels, and their prices have always been considerably lower than the fuel dock in the marina. But you have to take your boat to one of the commercial piers so the truck can get to you, and they have a minimum purchase amount, which I think is four or five hundred gallons, but I could be mis-remembering that. But the minimum is higher than the typical recreational boat holds.

See my post 3 above yours about red diesel not getting a road tax. That's why you never wanna get caught with red diesel in your road vehicle.

My local dock gives all prices "plus tax", meaning sales tax. All other taxes are included in the quote price. Last time I filled, I paid around $3.00 for around 700 gal. Am afraid to see what it is today. However, a friend is an Engineer for Millenium Tugs, and their 18,000 gal tug paid $2.24 about 2 weeks ago.

Diesel fuel is specifically mentioned as a "special fuel" noted in #1.

Some of the most common exemptions
from the retail sales tax include:
Fuel: Certain purchases of motor
vehicle fuel, including fuel: (1) taxable
under the motor vehicle or special
fuel tax; (2) purchased for public
transportation purposes; (3)
purchased by a certified private,
nonprofit transportation provider;
or (4) used in aircraft for research,
development, and testing purposes.
(WAC 458-20-126)