SUV Launches onto docked boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Great Laker

Vessel Name
Great Laker
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
It is amazing that the boat suffered relatively little damage compared to the car.

For the complete story and more pictures;

SUV launches onto docked boat | Grand Haven Tribune

I live a couple of miles from this marina and this story has everyone talking.

Attachments

• SUV on BOAT.jpg
    SUV on BOAT.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 102
Wow-she was lucky the boat was there! Looks like other than the railing. the boat only had cosmetic damage. Pretty amazing. Would make a good ad for Sea-Ray!

Looks like other than the railing. the boat only had cosmetic damage. Pretty amazing. Would make a good ad for Sea-Ray!

Yes it does look like no structural damage.
But the deck forward of the helm will need to be re-gelcoated and the rail supports replaced and rebedded. That's probably not going to be as cheap as it looks.

According to the article this is her second time blacking out and winding up in the river, maybe next time across the lanes into a car full of kids. It's time to pull her licence.
Steve W

There has to be a "blonde" joke in there somewhere.

According to the article this is her second time blacking out and winding up in the river, maybe next time across the lanes into a car full of kids. It's time to pull her licence.
Steve W

She certainly is a danger to others.

My neighbors have an elderly parent living with them, somewhere in her mid 80s. She falls and has to have someone with her or be checked on from time to time. When the neighbors are away, my wife checks on her.

She had a couple minor car wrecks and they have tried to stop her from driving, but she still does from time to time. And of course, when driving, she is a danger to herself and others.

The other side of the story is, in most parts of the USA, it's difficult to exist without the ability to drive. You have to drive to the store, you have to drive to the doctor's office, etc. If you don't have someone to drive you around and cannot drive yourself, you feel like you might as well roll over and die.

I suspect in many cases, the person whose license is taken away will just continue to drive. They feel like they have no choice.

Back to your side of the story, if it had been my boat or she hit my car full of kids, I would be very angry, medical condition or not.

I'm thinking that there is more damage than meets the eye. You fly a 3600 pound auto on all that FRP there is going to be some major flexing and breaking.

I'm thinking that there is more damage than meets the eye. You fly a 3600 pound auto on all that FRP there is going to be some major flexing and breaking.

If it were my boat, I would demand that it be replaced. There's no wat to assure that the boat won't fall apart someday in the most dangerous situation.

Her picture is one of three at the top of the article (gal on the right). Hardly an elderly parent... :nonono:

Dude if that happened to me the FIRST TIME I would not be driving again until I got a medical diagnosis of why I blacked out and drove into a RIVER?!? HELLO!?! NOT NORMAL!!! I am glad nobody was hurt!

Seemed to me like a particularly good use for a Searay. Its means they're good for more than just letting Bayliner owners feel superior.

Bayliner vs. Searay!!! OHH NOOOO.... :eek::eek::eek:

Time to put this thread Off the Deep End ( pun intended)

Sea Rays are actually constructed better than most boats...I captained and was a maintenance tech for a Sea Ray Dealership for 3 years.

Other than some foredeck and hull joint work...the boat is probably fine as it did rock and roll when the car hit it so much of the impact could have been absorbed by the fact a boat isn't rigid.

NO insurance company will total it unless there is also major hull damage which I'll bet there is little or none past the deck joint...or the boat is an old pos.

Last edited:
Bayliner vs. Searay!!! OHH NOOOO.... :eek::eek::eek:
According to the Bayliner dealer that operates from my marina, Searays and Bayliners are built in the same factory by the same people. Engines, drives, instruments, etc. are the same. The difference is in the carpet, upholstry, counter tops, etc.

Sure glad my berth is far out of reach of errant cars.

img_94066_0_64d9cbfaa78727a654be1a3e1e236251.jpg

I'm the bit of yellow in a white-and-blue sea of boats.

Back
Top Bottom