Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #34
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The IG 36 has an enclosed box type structure on which the windlass is mounted. Last year the whole structure, cracked, rotted, with signs of past patching, had to be rebuilt,suggesting a windlass puts out substantial loads.
To get a fair run for the snubber to the mooring cleat, without wearing the fresh paint off the aft top edge of the structure, I screwed a short length of half round s/steel along its edge.BruceK
I think some of the rot issues might also be related to how the water and plant debris is contained during the anchoring process. This was a concern with mine when I converted from a Powerwinch with rode over the top of my pulpit box to a windlass on top of the box with rode passing through the box.

The box is secured by four 5/8" threaded rods which run from the top stainless plate to my 12"x10" stainless backing plate. I had a 4 inch diameter stainless tube fabricated and welded to the top mounting plate. This sealed tube runs through the box and backing plate to both guide the rode and contain the water and debris. Three additional pulpit mounting bolts attach to the bow caprail. I use the washdown whenever needed and have noticed no problems so far, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote