Fubar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dswizzler

Vessel Name
Delta Swizzler
Vessel Make
1988 58' Vantare
Although FUBAR has other meanings, in this case it stands for Fleet Underway to Baja Rally. Just wondering if anyone reading this forum has activitily partisipated in this rally ? I know it takes place every two years and the next one is scheduled is for 2013, but we are interested in crewing on one, before taking our boat down.

Wondering if anyone else here has done that, either crewing or taking your own boat down. I'm sure they have a crew listing right before the whole thing takes place, but wasn't sure if there were other ways to get started.

Appreicate any help

Might not take place with all the violent crime in Mexico plus their new punitive visa policy. The Corredores De Baja predicted log contest took place yesterday here in San Diego without the usual leg to Ensenada.

We have gone twice from San Diego to La Paz on our own boat. The last time in 2008. It's a great trip. We have met boaters who did the FUBAR and they were split about the benefit. Some liked the cruising by numbers and the others said it was an easy trip and would do it alone or with a buddy boat next time. I think if you could get a ride as crew, it would be an easy way to see if you wanted to take your own boat down. We spent 5 seasons on the west coast of Mexico and it is still one of our favorites.

Here's a link for the La Paz area set up by a bunch of cruisers and expats who have swallowed the anchor. Club Cruceros de La Paz - Home

Thanks for the post. We have been spoiled by bathtub boating in the CA Delta for the past 20 years and have limited coastal cruising experience. I have been the 3rd hand, taking a boat up the east coast from Tampa to Washington DC and a few weeks doing some intercoastal up by Prince Ruppert BC, but nothing on our own boat...yet. Thought this might give the wife and I a good favor for moving a boat down south..my plan is still 3 years out.

Thanks again,

..Might not take place with all the violent crime in Mexico plus their new punitive visa policy..

For what it's worth:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

"According to Bob Hoyt, a longtime friend of the Ha-Ha who operates the Mag Bay outfitters fishing operation, this new visa requirement only applies to long-range commercial fishing vessels that will be operating within Mexico's "economic zone" (which extends 24 miles offshore), and will not be clearing in at Ensenada. In recent years, there was an effort to force such vessels to clear at the port of Ensenada, but obtaining a Sea Visa in advance eliminates that necessity. Again, it does not pertain to sailors heading south."

According to INAMI, Mexico's immigration department, Articles 33,44,46,50,153 and 154, require ALL foreigners entering Mexican territorial waters MUST have a VISA.

Perfect I have a Visa and Mastercard..thanks for the comments

Before you visit our "friendly" neighbors to the south, you better find out the meaning of "mordita" which is the prevailing philosophy down there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom