How far have you been in your Coastal Cruiser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
How far have you taken your Coastal Cruiser?

Have you completed the Great Loop?

Or a long trip on the ICW?

Have you traveled the Pacific Coast into Mexico and beyond?

Have you completed the inside passage to Alaska?

This is a thread to make others dream. Tell all about your voyages so we can dream about that voyage and someday make them ourselves.

I dream of going down the pacific coast into Mexico, then crossing into the Caribbiean if possible. Has anybody done that?

Personally in my Coastal Cruisers I've made the inside passage from Washington to Alaska twice, including two Gulf of Alaska crossings.

This is a trip everybody should take, and the great thing is anybody with a boat big enough to sleep on can do the inside passage. Fuel avaibility is a non issue for almost any size boat, and the scenery is unforgettable.

The gulf Of Alaska is not for the faint of heart, and requires a range of at least 300 NM but the crossing opens up the great cruising grounds of Prince william Sound.

So where have you gone, and how did you like it. Please do tell.

I'm not retired so our cruising time is limited to vacations. So far we have taken the GB as far north as Desolation Sound. We have no interest in going the other direction--- in fact our engines both die automatically if we try to take the boat south of Anacortes and won't restart until we get the bow pointed the other way.:)

We have flown the Inside Passage as far north as Juneau more times that we can remember starting in the 1980s so we know what's up there. In fact it's been those flights that prompted us to get a cruising boat so that perhaps someday we can explore the same region by boat. Assuming we ever get the time.

In the meantime we take what cruises we can into the Gulf Islands and other areas of lower BC. And we are able to take our trailer boat up to the north end of Vancouver Island so have explored some of that area as well, specifically Knight Inlet, Blackfish Sound, upper Johnstone Strait, etc.

Since it may be awhile before we are able to take our GB up north we are considering chartering the Gikumi out of Telegraph Cove next year to explore more of the islands surrounding Queen Charlotte Strait. We've flown that area extensively in the plane but it would be great to see and explore it at a more leisurly pace.

While it's anyone's guess how our time for cruising in our own boat will work out, we have no desire to cruise anywhere else other than between the San Juans and Glacier Bay. One could spend a lifetime mucking about just in the region between Campbell River and Cape Caution, let alone on up the Passage to SE Alaska.

Bought the boat in Annapolis end of November 2008 , brought her home via Atlantic ICW to Lake Okeechobee and on up to Houma, Louisiana. Since then made a trip From Houma to Sanibel Is/ Ft Myers and back in 2009, In 2010 down to the Keys, back up to Okeechobee via Miami, then across to the Gulf and up to Louisiana. 2011 to Sanibel/ Ft Myers and back. In 2012 parents had health issues so no trip this year.
The longest open water leg we have made is the jump across the Gulf from West Florida to Apalachicola's Gov't cut, three times via Tarpon Springs 148 NM, and twice from Tampa Bay 172 NM. Pretty good conditions each time,We enjoy Tarpon Springs and Apalachicola I don't mind waiting there for a good weather window.
Steve W

Last edited:
In 14 years we've been to SE Alaska four times and around Vancouver Island once. As far North as Skagway, AK and as far South as Olympia, WA. It's very doable for a cruising couple. We generally plan short day cruises to allow time to fish, crab and prawn. No fixed schedule and we enjoy the lack of distractions like email, politics and other stuff that effects our land lives.

We bought the boat in Manteo NC, brought her up to the Chesapeake in April and are now discovering the bay. I'm thinking a lifetime is not enough time for that. Ultimately in a few years when I retire we will go south to the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Belize and ultimately through the panama canal. Sounds a little crazy but we're dreaming right?

Our "central" ICW location in NC gives us opportunities for good destinations both north and south. The Admiral doesn't like to leave her pets for more than a few weeks at a time, but this has still enabled us to get as far north as the mid Chesapeake and as far south as Georgetown SC. Both our last "long" cruises were intended to get north to Annapolis, and south to Charleston, but weather delays have caused us to abbreviate the trips and turn around earlier than we hoped.

. Still, we have plenty of closer destinations (Bath, Belhaven, Oriental, Ocracoke, Manteo, New Bern, Beaufort, etc. that are only a couple of days away at most.

Crossed the North East corner of the GOM from Carrabelle to various destinations between Tarpon Springs and Fort Myers. Then through the Okeechobee Waterway to Stuart/West Palm/Fort Lauderdale, then across the Florida Straits to West End, Grand Bahama, South through the Abaco chain and back to Carrabelle. It is about 1,400 miles round trip. We've done it four times now.

My next time will be to the Exumas, but honestly, that will be with a faster boat.

Crossed the North East corner of the GOM from Carrabelle to various destinations between Tarpon Springs and Fort Myers. Then through the Okeechobee Waterway to Stuart/West Palm/Fort Lauderdale, then across the Florida Straits to West End, Grand Bahama, South through the Abaco chain and back to Carrabelle. It is about 1,400 miles round trip. We've done it four times now.

My next time will be to the Exumas, but honestly, that will be with a faster boat.

Sounds like great trip, how long did it take for the entire trip and in what time of year did you make it?
Thanks
Steve W

It the year and a half I have owned Mahalo, I've crossed Monterey Bay, a grad total of 32 miles! Santa Barbara didn't happen for me this season but it will at some point! And to be fair to myself, Mahalo was seriously neglected when I bought her, so for the better part of a year, she was under some form of reconstruction.

My relationship with her is only begining

My favorite time to be there is in May through Mid June. It is warm and sunny, water is nice to swim in, fishing is good, winds (generally) are not as strong as March or April (don't go in March, it blows like crazy) and it is not as hot as in July.

My parents have a dock in Fort Myers, so I usually break the trip up by leaving the boat there for a few weeks/month on the way down and back. We rent a car to get home/back to Fort Myers.

If I did it straight through, with our current slow boat, I would allow at least 4 weeks round trip, but 6 would be much better.

Hardest part is either the jump from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs, or the Gulf Stream crossing. The stream is shorter, but there are ways to minimize the rough seas in the upper gulf, especially if it is blowing from the NE, which is where the worst winds generally come from in the spring.

Greetings,
Not meaning to sidetrack the thread but I've heard it said many times to NOT attempt a gulf stream crossing if there's ANY "north" in the wind. Meaning any direction from ENE to WNW.

Greetings,
Not meaning to sidetrack the thread but I've heard it said many times to NOT attempt a gulf stream crossing if there's ANY "north" in the wind. Meaning any direction from ENE to WNW.

Absolutely correct about a Gulf Stream crossing, never go in anything with an N in it.

But crossing the northern Gulf of Mexico is a totally different thing. I actually like a North wind for the leg from Tarpon Springs to Carrabelle. I hug the 10' depth contour, which means I am in the lee most of the way, you get a pretty good ride in up to around 20 knots.

Bought the boat in Beaufort, SC. Cruised from Beaufort to the Chesapeake, spent two years there, then Chesapeake to Ft. Myers via the Okeechobee on this boat. On our previous, well too long to post here. Chuck

We spent about a month bringing our trawler home to Lake Ontario in 2009 from Portsmouth N.H., down the Atlantic coast through the Cape Cod Canal.... then to Long Island Sound, and up the Hudson River to the New York Canal system to Lake Ontario... a wonderful trip.. but only short hops and day cruises since then.

2011:

Bought the boat on Lake Erie and brought her back (650mi).

Took numerous short trips up and down the Lake MI coast visiting port cities such as Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, White Lake etc.

Took a 10 day trip north to Leland and Northport (350 mi).

2012:

Again numerous short trips along the lake.

About to take 16 days to go up into the North Channel and around St. Joseph Is. This is our first trip to Canada.

We start the Great Loop in September (5,500 mi). :dance:

We've been from NC all the way to Melbourne Florida and back. We just got back from an excellent trip from Ocean Isle NC to Cape Lookout and back. If you have never made the trip to Cape Lookout I would highly suggest it -- you must go outside from the ICW about 7 miles to get there.

Egregious-Do you live in Ocean Isle? My old stomping ground, i lived in Shallotte for 15 years. My son still lives in Sunset and teaches in Holden Beach. We kept our boat then at my ex-wife's uncle's shrimphouse dock beside the Holden Beach Bridge. Great area!

We have done several posts about our cruises. Our boats have been located at one time or another as follows:

North Carolina (Morehead City/Beaufort)
Chesapeake Bay (Baltimore area, Annapolis area)
South Carolina (Charleston, Hilton Head)
Florida West Coast (Bradenton, Venice, Boca Grande)
Florida East Coast (St. Augustine, Ft. Pierce)
Florida/Alabama Panhandle (Orange Beach)
Key Largo
Tennessee River (Chattanooga)

For over 40 years we have cruised these areas with several trips up and down the ICW and over as far as Louisiana, We have cruised the Keys and Bahamas. Just never got to the Dry Tortugas, but that is on the todo list for next year.

Cruiser

With that sweet boat all I would need is the time.

Nice dream.

I dream of having the time to just do nothing while on my boat in PWS.

Some day.

Cruising

We did make the trip from Seattle to Valdez when we bought the boat.

Wonderful trip except for the Gulf of Alaska crossing. Kind of long there.

wish we could do it again, just my wife and I.

We have not been very far, mostly local, but have funny story.:angel:

Being I do not like taking the Eagle out and always glad to be back tied to the dock. Most of the cruise are 2 for 4 hour from one dock to another dock. :thumb: The first time we moored at Everett commercial dock, we came from Seattle, 30 miles. A few of the commercial guys assist us docking, where getting ready to head to Alaska. I was so happy thankful, I said, “I am really happy that cruise is over with, and thank you for your help.” :flowers: For some reason, reason they thought we had cruised/come from a long ways. They asked, “Where are you from?” I respond with pride, “Seattle!” :dance: At which point they burst out laughing, “Seattle?” :rofl:To this day they ask me, “Are you going on any long trips this year?’ :rolleyes:

Nobody believes that I will ever throw off the lines and head for Alaska/Canada. :eek: I tell them as long as the cruises are under 8 hours/day, can tie to a dock, and eat at a restaurant we should be able to make it. :confused:

Last edited:
Cruised from San Diego, CA to Olympia, WA in 1992 and have cruised the San Juan and Gulf Islands since then. Farthest north we've been is to Desolation Sound and the awesome Princess Louisa Inlet and falls.
MEI LEE
1983 Grand Banks 42 Motoryacht
Hull No. 809

On my last boat From Va Beach to the keys and back to stuart and across to the west coast and back i think we figured almost 2,000 miles winter before last.

In 2001 we purchased our cruising boat in San Diego California and brought it back home to the San Francisco Bay Area. My wife and I had a total crew of 5 (3 boating friends joined us). We did San Diego to Santa Catalina Island, then on to Santa Barbara, Coho anchorage near Pt. Conception, Morro Bay, Monterey, Half Moon Bay then into San Francisco Bay and on to our home town of Benicia. Spent two years getting the boat ready for long term live aboard cruising. In October of 2003 we sailed out under the Golden Gate Bridge and turned left. Essentially we stopped a the same ports we had stopped at when we brought the boat home adding Long Beach and Oceaside on the way back down the coast.

In late October that year we joined in with 125 + boats and did the Baja Ha Ha down to Cabo San Lucas. The Ha Ha is primarily a sail boat "race / trek" from San Diego to Cabo but that year we were one of 6 power boats they graciously had placed in the "No Comprende" division. Several sets of friends crewed on the way down and some good and highly experienced boating friends (couple) joined us from San Diego to Cabo.

The boat is still in Mexico and we have just completed our 9th year of cruising. We did the Sea of Cortes twice, once for a month and the second time for 2 months. What was really wonderful was during the 2 month voyage we spent only 4 days in a Marina, stopping in La Paz to Provision and take on fuel on the way out and on the way back to our home port in Puerto Vallarta. Almost 60 glorious days of "hanging on the hook" at 20 or 30 different anchorages buying lobsters and clams from local fisherman, exploring little villiages where people literally lived off the land and sea. We kayaked, fished, snorkled and had a great time. We have been down the Mexican coast as far south as Zihautanejo and as far north as San Carlos on the mainland and as far north as Santa Rosalia in the Sea of Cortes. The last couple of years we have confined our seasonal cruising to the Mexican Gold Coast (Puerto Vallarta to Manzanillo).

Our origional plan was to cruise as far south as the Panama Canal and go on to Florida. Because of health reasons we decided not to cruise the very isolated Central American coast (in Mexico the medical facilities are decent and reasonably available and the Mexican Navy deals fairly well with medical emergencies at sea - in Centeral Ameria you are pretty much on you own until you get to Costa Rica). Oh well the dream was still lived.

We have finally decided that our long range cruising days are pretty much over and have put Freedom up for sale. We will probably get something smaller to use in the California Delta. By the way the picture of Freedom at anchor is at Isla Isbella. Isbella is about 1/2 way between Puerto Vallarta and Matzatlan an about 20 miles off shore. You can go ashore (the main island is about 200 yards directly off the stern). Isabella is a major rookery for Blue Footed Boobys and Frigate Birds.

Last edited:
I have had my 34' MT from the upper chesapeake to keywest 4 times mostly alone now with a bigger boat.......The islands next

Back
Top Bottom