Buying a canadian trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peapod

Veteran Member
Has anyone purchased a owner build boat in canada and imported it to united states? What about taxes and any other thing i need to know.

I haven't done it in that direction but thanks to NAFTA if you can prove it was built in North America then there won't be any duty payable. Taxes are another matter but they shouldn't be any different than any other boat you bring into your state.

Sorry for not responding sooner on your reply but i've been playing boats and i think your right from what i have found out. I was told by the broker that i would have to pay a customs broker and also my maine sale tax. Thanks!

We ship between Canada and Us on a daily bases. You will require a broker to clear the boat, and with a NAFT certificate which you can get from the broker which the sell signs there is not duty, but there is a broker fee. Then you have to pay the states taxes, registration fee. Most large boating areas/cities have marine title companies which can handle the whole thing for you. If you finance they might require you to use there recommended broker and title company, so check with them.

the freight forwarder and broker I use is DHL as they are know world wide and have a office at most boarder crossing.

I imported our boat into the U.S. from Canada. I bought the boat in Vancouver, B.C. and entered at Anacortes, WA. Your broker is correct and you should not owe duty because of NAFTA. You will need a customs broker. If you're in the northwest, I think the quickest and easiest port of entry is Port Roberts, WA. What should have been a very easy entry process was made more difficult by a knucklehead at Anacortes customs.
Lyle

The boat would be trucked to maine our home port. What was the problem with anacortes customs? Thanks, tom

The boat would be trucked to maine our home port. What was the problem with anacortes customs? Thanks, tom

the trucking company can proable help you as they like to have the paper work done and waiting at the board so the truck is not held up.

Thanks i will look into that if we close the deal on this boat. We are debating over two different boats the other being on the west coast of the u.s.and my wife just told me that she likes that one the most so the debate goes on. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I wonder who will win the debate

When she said she wanted to live in maine and i didn't, guess where we live maine

Back
Top Bottom