Willy goes South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter an All,
We're at Port Browning and will stay another night to avoid some of the 4th circus. Friday Harbor is crazy enough during any week day.
Everybody here at PB seems to have a dog. It's nuts. One guy had 3 dogs on 3 leashes. Another was shaving in the washroom and there was his dog at his feet. What makes people think normal people would want to bathe in the same space/room with someone else's animal? Other than that this is a very nice spot and could see coming back.
Engine seems to get slightly better every day but still a bit I'll I think. WOT rpm is now up to 2850. Only 50 rpm down from what I think is normal w this prop. I worry about it very little now and plan no more effort to make it better till we get to LaConner.
A problem I forsee in the future is heat in the cabin. Never been a problem in Alaska.
It's odd the cruising guide Wagoneer didn't mention the head of the bay at Ladysmith. Great anchorage. Seems they are only interested in commercial. Not in the best interest of the boater. Our book is a 2004 issue though. But the head of the bay was prolly there then.

Port Browning has new owners and I've heard they have made a lot of improvements. The one time we were there was about three years ago on our way beck from Desolation Sound. The place was for sale then, and even though the food in the restaurant was very good the docks and and other facilities were starting to deteriorate pretty fast. In fact the finger float we were on was secured to the main dock by a pair of stout ropes--- the big angle fittings had rusted apart.

Dogs on boats is a way of life down here, Eric. You'll have to get used to it.

Attachments

• 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 75
WE HAVE FINISHED THE TRIP SOUTH
Last night we stayed in our own bed in Concrete and night before last at LaConner in our new slip on the boat. Wow these slips and fairways are small. There's less that 2' between our boat and the one next to us. In Canada there's even less space. I would'nt even have a boat at Comox. Nice place other than that.
The engine ran fine/OK for the rest of the trip. Still modulates a bit at about 2700 and is down 50rpm from max w this new prop.
We went through customs at Friday Harbor and not much lunch type moorage so we went on. I think I'll limit my time in Friday Hbr to the winter. Met Rob and Anne Hays in the West end of Upright Channel. I then decided if the tides wer'nt too strong we may be able to go all the way to LaConner ... and we did. I went to bed early. I think my physical condition is still not at WOT since the ordeal in Georgia Strait. It's not often I feel this way but I'm actually glad to be off the boat. 33 days in semi-camping conditions is too much for me to smile every day all day or wish for more. Anyway we're glad to be here and enjoying the sunshine.
Marin, they raised the standards at Port Browning and raised the moorage too. We paid $1.25 a foot and passed at $8 for electrons. A great anchorage though and there were about 3 times as many boats anchored as in transit in the marina and it's for sale again ... prolly w the same signs posted.

Last edited:
Congratulations on completing your journey and welcome back to the concrete. Enjoyed following your progress.

Thanks for letting us tag along, Eric. Glad you and Chris are safely home.

Yes, well done Eric. I can understand you are glad to get your feet back on the hard. Give it a few days and you'll wanna be back on her though I bet. After all, she got you there. Like the little engine that could. She looked after you and kept you warm and dry, well dry, anyway...I gather things got a bit chilly at times. Soon you'll worry whether she is ok, and you'll just have to check things out. Then you'll want to fix/sort out/re-arrrange all the little things which came to light on the trip which could have worked better. That's boating...

I too have been following you in the background. What an experience & also glad you made it. You know what I found the most interesting was the support you were getting along the way from your TF friends. This is a great site.

Elwin

Eric- Have you departed Thorne Bay for good? At some point you sound as though you are on a vacation, towards the last the post sound as though you are 'Home'. I ask as a newbe on this forum, discover that you are a neighbor. I had attempted to post earlier on in your voyage. Our home is Ketchikan directly across from the Pond Reef Marker on the beach. We recently sold our 30 foot 52 year old converted tug 'Tenacious' and purchased a 27 foot Marben. We use our boat as a 'golf cart' going to and back from Wrangell to play golf there.
We have lived here for many many years and I believe that I have seen your Willard in the harbor here, at least it sure looks familar.
As our course of travel is on the East side of Clarence (Meyers Chuck) we have not had reason to visit Thorne Bay. However, if you are coming back, we'd make a point of pulling in and making our introduction over a mug up.
Regards,
A.M.Johnson
M/V 'Hapi"- 27 Marben pock trawler

Got some Wi-fi in aStarbucks and have a few minuites.
Al, Wish I'd a known you were there. I think I know your old boat. Looks a lot like a Grand Banks ... NO? I've posted a pic at least once of that boat and I think I connect the name w it. I'll be back in Thorne Bay probably in less than a month. Myers Chuck is definitely cuter than TB but TB has lots more to offer. Yachties always prefer cute unless they need something.
OBNL, Indeed. I've been here since 07 and miss these guys when I'm away.
Peter, Already given a "few days" and I have no such inclination.
Moon and CPs and probably many others ..... Thanks for tag'in along w us and the warm well wishes. I post (usually) whatever I'm think'in about and usually receive nothing but good positive response back and/or a lot of nothing. I think there's about 500 on this forum and what goes on in the minds of the 450 that we do'nt hear from may be the most significant pat of what goes on here. Those of us that post regularly are prolly more like journalists and Therese are kinda like guys reading a magazine. Those of us that post (especially like me) a lot just like to express ourselves ... And feel a great urge to say something to much of the odd things that are posted here ... Like 4 out of 5 boats have swivels on their anchor rodes. We're so worldly though that some things are mostly unheard of in one place and common in others.
So ..... We're "home", glad to be here and I have no desire to commit boating at this point but my desire to be here is still intact.

Eric- Are you running back or barging back? We are departing Wednesday 4AM for Wrangell. Weather seems too good to be true based on what we have been experiencing this Summer. Will be in Wrangell for the Alaska Air golf tournament then Svendsen Marine Works will start the construction of an aluminum canopy for the aft of the boat. I don't think we will meet up.
By the way, what make of engine are you running in the Willie?
I don't know if you know Ed Purvis, he managed Waterfall Resort and properties for many years and recently retired. He has a 25 foot Ranger and enjoys short voyages. I will try to entice he and his wife to join with us and make a run to Thorne Bay sometime.
Keep safe and travel light
Al Johnson

Al we aren't coming back at all w the boat.
We have at least one container of stuff to ship south w Northland, 2 boats on trailers and 4 other vehicles ... 2 may tow trailers through BC. We'll basically be just on a work detail but can do basically whatever we want too. May run out west on the skiff to visit a friend on Marble Is or any number of fun things but the work should be done. If we get the weather we should do some painting on the house.
Haha ... "travel light" good advice. Usually anything in excess is just that EXCESS.
Engine in Willy is a Mitsubishi. Industrial rating of 37hp. Marineized by Klassen. 4 cylinder and 107 cu in. Not much excess there.
If you get to Thorne Bay we live in the house across the street from the TB school. I'd be pleased to meet you.
Eric Henning

Ed in Wrangell onboat using phone to type. Wil respond formerly when home. Sorry to learn you are out of trawler class. If next u in k,town call.show u my polsbo skiff 18 foot 6HP yanmar 15 foot rana norway lapstake ora 14 foot whitehall rowing skiff.we should b able to have good visit. Will be putting Thorne bay on schedule for visit. Ru in phone book. Enjoy the b. C. .drive we r taking our driving car out of storage and driving b.c. mid August. Chance of meeting on ferry or Timmy hortons? If u don;t know where u r going it matters not how fast u r going al

Al,
At fi......... Thanks for posting under challenging conditions. Doing a bit of that myself w my i-pad.
I 'll prolly sink your Poulsbo boat w drool. I wish somebody would make a FG version of those boats. Transom out of the water ..... Right?
Yes I agree we should have plenty to talk about.
Haha I had a Mukeltieo Boat (18') a few years ago. Figured the AK weather would do it in so I sold/gave it to my real-estate agent. Wouldn't have done that if it hadn't been fiberglassed though.
Yea ... Timmy Horton's or White Spot or ???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom