Which Blade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Which Blade
Do you carry a particular knife on your boat (other than a machete or a Leatherman) that you wear or keep readily handy? I wear a rigging knife when I’m on my sailboat, but on a trawler /cruiser, I would think a more utilitarian knife would be better. What do you use? Pics would be a good thing. KJ

PS I really like this guy’s knife.

Attachments

• Crocodile_Dundee_2[1].jpg
    Crocodile_Dundee_2[1].jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 400
I carry a stainless Leatherman Wave, which has a good-sized serrated line-cutting blade in addition to the regular knife blade. I find myself using the Leatherman for all sorts of things. Wouldn't be without it and have never found a need for any other type or size of knife.

We also carry a variety of fileting knives on both the GB and the Arima but I don't have any occasion to actually wear them.

Have a Leatherman that we keep on board but I don't carry it.

I tend to loose knives that I carry on me so I buy inexpensive ones.

This Ruko knife (and its predecessors) is what I have had in my pocket for a couple of years now. Keeps a fairly good edge.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 70
This Ruko knife (and its predecessors) is what I have had in my pocket for a couple of years now. Keeps a fairly good edge.

I also have one like this onboard but I don't carry it.

attachment.php

Of course, I have an extensive tool kit and kitchen knives onboard as well.

Come on guys, your on a trawler you've got to carry a fillet knive. I carry 3 filet knives and 12gauge

I carry 3 filet knives and 12gauge

:eek: I'd be surprised if you had anything left to filet with that kind of fishing gear.

I carry a Kershaw Tanto. Graphite handles make for a great grip on the water. Quick release allows one handed operation when holding on to something.

Oh and its made in the USA

I keep a K-bar in a leather sheath that I drop 3-in-1 oil into every so often to keep the blade rust free. the leatherstacked ring handle is great for grip and the rest of the knife is a tough SOB and easily sharpened. I've used it and a hammer to notch plywood, cut wire, and separate engine parts that just wouldn't give otherwise. You can find cheap-o examples all over but you'll get what you pay for with these knives.

I carry a Kershaw Tanto. Graphite handles make for a great grip on the water. Quick release allows one handed operation when holding on to something.

X2 the Kershaw knives are perfect with the spring assisted release...... just like a switch blade.

I also have one like this onboard but I don't carry it.

attachment.php

Of course, I have an extensive tool kit and kitchen knives onboard as well.

I have a Chinese knock off of that knife.

Letherman Wave on my belt I wouldn't be without it.

sd

Leatherman Wave always on my belt.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 90
Swiss Army "Trawler Owner" Edition

img_93730_0_f0e77fd9bbac49dc76b69373d46f12a3.jpg

Na, just made that up:). But as you can tell, this is my well used Swii Army Knife. Actually my third in about 10 years. I like the Leatherman style a lot, but this is more comfortable to carry for me, so it does get carried most of the time.

I carry an old Camillus like this:

Attachments

• camillus-lp-amp.jpg
    camillus-lp-amp.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 87

Pencil me into the Kershaw club too. Love that quick release.

I carry mine all the time on or off the boat.

Back
Top Bottom