Whats it called

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, back to the comments about the plexiglass wind deflector or what ever you choose to call it that is on the bridge of many boats. Ours keeps the wind directed over our heads when we are seated and if I want the wind in my face which I often do, I either stand or take the remote auto pilot control and go out from under the bimini to have sun and wind. The one we have is also kind of smoke colored so it can cut a lot of glare when the angle of the sunlight is just right.

Over here in Oz, they seem to just be called windshields or 'deflectors'. On the other tack, I quite like the reverse angled windscreens in the front of a proper pilothouse type of vessel, to me they sort of just look 'right' - business-like, if you like...

It is popularly called a Venturi windshield, I think.

That's about it. On large ships the wind deflector is actually made of two curved pieces that accelerate the air passing between them to create a high velocity "air wall" that keeps all but the heaviest rain and spray off the person standing on the bridge wing.

On little boats it is normally just called a windshield. Windows are called windows and not many flybridges have windows unless they are walled in like an oxygen tent.

Many people with slanted wheelhouse windows think they are more "salty" than those that don't for some peculiar reason.

... On the other tack, I quite like the reverse angled windscreens in the front of a proper pilothouse type of vessel, to me they sort of just look 'right' - business-like, if you like...

I quite agree with you, Peter, like our flagship Selene on the banner above. That is one beautiful boat!!

I have often heard the flybridge plexiglass wind deflector referred to as "Viser Glass." I have no idea where that comes from.

Larry B.

RickB said:
Many people with slanted wheelhouse windows think they are more "salty" than those that don't for some peculiar reason.

This is about as salty a boat as one can find. Clyde puffers served the little coastal communities in northern Scotland and Ireland for decades. Back and forth across the Irish Sea (a body of water with a bad reputation) anchor off the town, tide goes out, boat sits on its flat bottom, horses and carts and later tractors and wagons come out on the seabed to the boat and are loaded. No silly, pretentious wannabe windows here.

On the other hand....... RNLI lifeboat on a call on the same body of water.

image-1835075633.jpg

image-6803111.jpg

My favorite slanted window boat. Just completed construction at Dakota Creek ship yards, Anacortes

LB

Attachments

• Crowley.jpg
    Crowley.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 600
Back
Top Bottom