Chesapeake boaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruthless

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Doctail
Vessel Make
Fu Hwa 42
We are new to the Chesapeake and are wondering what is a favorite day cruise from Kent Narrows?

We are new to the Chesapeake and are wondering what is a favorite day cruise from Kent Narrows?

I think a good one if only for a day would be St. Michaels.

If you can do over night, the anchorages on Wye River East are hard to beat. Dividing Creek, Granary Creek, and Quarter Cove are all good. Kent Narrows is well located for some great day or weekend cruising.

Reed Creek off the Chester River is a nice anchorage. Just be careful going in the narrow turning channel.

For a seafood lunch, Rock Hall harbor is good.

Chestertown is good, but could be a long day on a slow boat.

Thanks Moonstruck, we have done St. Michaels for lunch, tried Waterman's in Rock Hall this past Saturday, great crabs (and air conditioning), we have also done Annapolis and Baltimore. Wondering about "unknown gems" up the Chester or other closeby waterway.

Thanks Rick, did a weekend on town creek end of June. LOVED IT!

Since you don't mind crossing the Bay, Pirates Cove Restaurant and Marina in Galesville on the West River is good. The Rhode River just after the entrance on the starboard side is a good anchorage.

As RickB said, Oxford is good, and one of our favorites. Many anchorages off the Tred Avon. Trappe Creed just inside the entrance has a good anchorage. Cambridge is just across the river.

For a weekend, you could easily do Wharton Creek. Still Pond has a beautiful anchorage.

Georgetown on the Sassafras River is good.

Lots of great places.

Try Cacaway Island up Lankford Creek or Wye. We are slow, so much more than 15nm each way will be an overnighter. We have been to Chestertown over night and that was a blast. I think we will go back again soon.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try them all. We love a good restaurant destination and have big dogs that don't dinghy well so dock and dine or marinas work best for us.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try them all. We love a good restaurant destination and have big dogs that don't dinghy well so dock and dine or marinas work best for us.

With those requirements, I would definitely say Chestertown, Georgetown, Galesville, and Cambridge in addition the the ones you already tried.

If you enjoy marinas, Herrington Harbour could be a fun trip. We went to the North marina 2 weekends ago with 4 teenagers and had a good time. I understand that the South marina is even better but they were fully booked. Plenty to do, restaurant, pet friendly, and beautiful. It would be about 22nm or so but well worth it in my opinion. As for us, we love to stay at marinas and anchor out as well. We will be on the Wye River East each of the next two weekends.

We will be on the Wye River East each of the next two weekends.

Welcome KCaldwell. Glad to have a Chesapeake cruiser here. I will envy you the next two weekends. Wye River East is one of my favorite places. It is especially good in the fall.

This was taken in Quarter Cove.

img_93417_0_4a7c1322180d75945c7dc9e31feccd3f.jpg

Thanks. I don't want to threadjack so I will try to get around to posting an introductory thread soon. The Wye River is also our favorite. We go there a lot. There is an unnamed cove about 2 coves before Dividing Creek (on the elbow) that we typically anchor in. Can't wait to set the hook.

We need to go that way sometime. Mostly hang just north of Drum Point. Doing another Chestertown run in just over a week from now :thumb:

Thanks. I don't want to threadjack so I will try to get around to posting an introductory thread soon. The Wye River is also our favorite. We go there a lot. There is an unnamed cove about 2 coves before Dividing Creek (on the elbow) that we typically anchor in. Can't wait to set the hook.

try Worton Creek Marina or Great Oaks in Fairlee Creek. Harbor House in Worton is a real treat. Call them up ahead of time to make reservations and tell them the names of everyone that is with you. Each person will get their own customized menue with their name on the meals. (John's Crab Cakes; Jan's Fried Oysters, etc)
If you go into Fairlee creek, stay off for a little while and watch other people going in. The bouy's look like they must be in the wrong spot, but they're not.
John

If you go into Fairlee creek, stay off for a little while and watch other people going in. The bouy's look like they must be in the wrong spot, but they're not.
John

Good Idea. Narrow, tricky little entrance .

Last edited:
try Worton Creek Marina or Great Oaks in Fairlee Creek. Harbor House in Worton is a real treat. Call them up ahead of time to make reservations and tell them the names of everyone that is with you. Each person will get their own customized menue with their name on the meals. (John's Crab Cakes; Jan's Fried Oysters, etc)
John

Sounds perfect, I'll try it and let you know :flowers:

Harnish Cr. off South River is a gem & is next to large park. The Corsica River off the Chester has some really nice spots. Plenty of places to explore by dinghy; all the way up to Centreville's new town dock. Kent Narrows is ideally located to explore Eastern Bay/Knapps Narrows & the Choptank. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom