New Guy on the Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a Krogen owner, I can hgihly recommend the Krogens. Great boats, great company. Without knowing your price range, it is a bit difficclut to offer much in the way of suggestions. But you can find older 36' Manatees $250K and under, 39' Krogens (early 2000's) for $400K and under, and 42' for 250-350K. These are all well built and well supported boats.

The problem comes when you want to go trans-oceanic. Getting to the Med ot SE Pacific, You need to go bigger, at least the 48' Krogen, and thus more expensive.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much for the opinion and information on the Krogens. I read an article (I think...my mind gets hazy after reading so many articles) wherein the owner made a trans-Atlantic crossing in a 42' Krogen. It was probably in Passage Maker magazine, but I forget the specifics. I just remember that it was 5 guys who did it. But if I really need a 48' Krogen (fuel capacity?) to make the crossing, I'll have to reevaluate my objectives because there is no way I can come up with the cash to buy a 48' boat while also paying HUGE slip fees if I dock for a season.

(... Just a bit later) Not to beat the dead horse of my dream to get to the Med on a dinghy, but I think the Azores are about 1,600 miles from Newfoundland and about 1,800 from Bermuda, which are within the safe range of the older 42' Krogen. I found the article I mentioned - it was in Power Cruising magazine - and they took at 44' Krogen from New Jersey to Holland, making their first landfall in the Azores. They then went to England, but could have made European landfall in Portugal. Then on to the Med.

What model & year of Krogen do you have? How long have you owned it? And most importantly, how do you use your boat and what is your biggest complaint?

To be perfectly honest, I was considering training at the Annapolis School of Seamanship, which is offered on a 48' Krogen. Maybe I should look for training on a smaller boat and forget about ocean crossing. Or maybe I can look into one of the boat transport services...just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the comments. All are appreciated even when they show-off my idiotic dreams as idiotic.

Thanks for the comments. All are appreciated even when they show-off my idiotic dreams as idiotic.

Not a thing at all idiotic about dreams, we all have them. This forum has been invaluable to me to help "put feathers on the dart" that are my dreams.

The biggest obstacle I had to overcome so far is separating the purchase price of the boat from the operating expense of the boat. I can purchase far more boat than I would like to support. I'm afraid that without the advice from this group I would have bit off way more than I would have wanted to chew long term.

Some of the best advice I'd received to date was start out with the smallest boat that will suit your current need. I'm very happy I did. Wife and kids enjoy the heck out of our little sailboat and look forward to stepping up the size when the right boat comes along.

Sounds like the right measured careful approach. Lots of boats for sale and it`s hard to resell if you buy the wrong one.
I think it`s a mistake narrowing the field by excluding anything not "full displacement", but respect it`s your $ and your choice.Do you really need to plan for a hurricane? There`s a heap of hull variations between "planing' and "displacement". Maybe keep an open mind as you progress on the learning curve you`ve set. And with your kind of cruising plans consider twin engines, or at least some kind of auxiliary set up to get home.

You are absolutely right about a get-home system but I am not a big fan of 2 engines - because I will undoubtedly find some shoals in my cruising and it seems to me that most dual engine setups have largely unprotected props and shafts.

You've also made a good point of not eliminating a boat or manufacturer based simply on "full displacement". In fact, you and others here have caused me to broaden my search already. I can honestly say that, within this brief exchange, I've learned quite a lot. My main intent in joining this forum was to gather others' opinions based on experience. And the collective experience here has broadened my search to other boats that I did not previously consider. And I AM now considering the boat's layout as well as the hull and power plant.

As to planning for a hurricane, I think my personality makes me think about the worst scenario. And for me, solo in a boat, a hurricane ranks up there with unpleasant things that can happen to me. I had a sail boating friend who's worst fear was demasting but that didn't stop him from sailing.

As I said, I am here to learn and to challenge my opinions and self-defined biases. Broadly, then, I backed-up on my criteria to enable me to learn about and select the perfect trawler for me.

About the only things I know for certain now are: I want a diesel powered trawler (not a sail boat) of a length that is suitable for my intended purpose, costing no more than $200,000 fully outfitted/refitted.

How's that for a retreat? (smile)

Can`t wait to hear some GB responses. May need a heat exchanger for my laptop. BruceK

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have picked on the Grand Banks. What happened on that boat would have hurt many/most boats.

To all the GB owners I've offended, I offer my sincere apologies. Although I had a bad experience on a Grand Banks, I have no other data to suggest that they are anything but than well-built boats. After all, they are the market-maker in trawlers and that many owners of GB's can't be wrong.

Mea culpa.

Any boat can get tossed around and onto rocks and into pilings. I can show you photos of displacement salmon trollers that ended up in just such situations. So the kind of hull you have is no guarantee of no problems. Your statement is sort of like saying "I was in an accident in a (name your car here) so I'm never going to get that kind of car because they are prone to accidents."

From your minimal description of your experience it sounds like the outcome would have been the same had the boat been a GB, CHB, Fleming (bazillions of dollars), deFever, Eastbay, Bayliner, etc, etc, etc. Sounds like your problem was your skipper and his judgement and abilities or lack of them, not the kind of boat you were in.

Full displacement is a meaningless term since a boat is either displacement or it's not. If it's not, it's semi-planing or fully planing. Or submersible. You can certainly use whatever term you like--- none of our boats are trawlers, either, unless someone here happens to have a boat with trawl gear installed--- but displacement is the only word you need to describe that type of hull.

Thanks for your succinct and honest response. Of course, you are correct. And I was wrong to paint all boats by a manufacturer with my broad, misaligned stroke. Also, I will stop using the term “full displacement” and instead just use “displacement trawler”. Combined with others’ responses, I finally understand the objections to the use of “full displacement”.

What I meant to imply was that I am not interested in semi- or full-planing boats. I think that current marketing calls them “fast trawlers”. I just don’t want to expend the fuel these boats typically use. Although I don’t believe everything I read in print, I did recently read an article by a fellow who tried to replicate the fuel economy of a displacement trawler with his “fast trawler” traveling at slow speeds of 8 knots. He just couldn’t do it. From the article, I think I learned that hull design does have an impact on fuel economy and performance in excess of hull speed. Hopefully, I’ve not made another error.

Your budget will determine what's possible and what isn't. Most of the boats we've been talking about---- Nordhavn, Krogen, Victory Tug, Hatteras, Selene, etc.--- are pretty pricey even used. If they're not, there's a good reason and in the end, you will either have to spend as much as you would have had to spend to buy a newer boat of the same type, or you will have to lower your sights and get a different type of boat.

One displacement boat that has been mentioned here that is generally priced relatively inexpensively is the Willard. Particularly the smaller 30-foot models. Excellent design, well built, but only you can determine if this boat would be large enough for what you want to do.

I am rapidly finding out that my purse is not big enough for the type/size/maker of the boat I wanted. I had never heard of Willard. But I just did a quick search on Yacht World and saw a few for sale within my price range. I’m going to add them to my searches. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Boats are never-ending expenses.

< snipped >

Yes, you can buy a great boat for a whole lot less than $200k. But if you want a boat capable of open ocean cruising you need a reliable boat, not a project boat, and you need one capable in terns of its design, construction, and equipment of making the journey safely. And these types of boats are not cheap, even used, unless you are willing to settle for a very old one or a beater, both of which will require a huge amount of work and/or money to get them up to the point where you can truly depend on them.
Wow, that was a lot of information. I was (again) unaware that continuing costs were so high. I completely agree that I should buy the smallest boat I can afford, but it must also suit my needs of being large enough to live aboard comfortably (not in opulence, but not spartan). Now, I’m not sure I can afford any of this. The ongoing expenses will surely bankrupt me, even on a smaller boat.

Now, in addition to facing a failed dream, I may have to re-evaluate both my near-term and long-term plans.

Please don’t think I’m angry. I truly appreciate the slap in the face. Your reasoned response to my inquiry brought me back to reality.

If you can do the work yourself over several years like some of the members of this forum are doing, you can end up with a lot more boat for a lot less money. But if, as you imply, you are not in a position to do much of your own work on the boat you'll be hiring the work out and at yard and shop rates that are approaching $100 an hour these days, the bills are pretty impressive when they come in.

The work I can’t do would involve the heavy chores “down below” rather than the cosmetic maintenance or refurbishment around the boat. I guess what I’m saying is (for example) if I want to have a fuel polishing system installed, I cannot do it myself. But I can change the filters and oil. I certainly cannot rebuild a diesel engine or generator. I can do almost all of the wood/teak work, replacement of lights, work on things like sinks and heads, and much of the electronics work if it doesn’t require an awful lot of physical labor. I have lots of skills, just not the physical ability to do all of them. I have nothing but time on my hands. The biggest chore that scares me is bottom work – stripping the hull, sanding, filling and the applying bottom paint. Before my disability, I could have done this. Now, it is beyond my abilities.

If Good luck with your search. There are zillions of boats out there of every possible type, description, and condition. If it's meant to be, you'll find one to suit your purposes even if you have to morph your purposes around a bit to fit reality.

And remember, this is supposed to be fun.

Thanks for the shot of inspiration. I was beginning to get down in the mouth. Earlier this afternoon, I actually started looking at condos in Florida (with dockage) and serious open fishing boats (like a Mako 284). I already have a place in Stuart, FL but it is not near the water. I’d like to think I can find and afford my dream, but it is becoming clearer to me that it may be out of reach. I’m not going to buy a trawler just to have it and pour money into it. I just want to enjoy myself before I take a dirt nap.

Thanks for the dose of reality.

WTF guys!!! I can't believe what I am reading here (before deleting them). A new member needs advice about trawler buying and wants to become a part of our community and the thread turns into this? It's one thing to vigorously question the opinions of a veteran member where there is some history and understanding there, but to go after a new member like this? We, as a community, cannot stand for this.

Gary, please accept the apology of the vast majority of the community and of the mod team for not noticing this sooner and putting a stop to it. We love getting new members and would really like for you to stay as you can certainly bring yet another element to this forum as well as get to know some very smart people that can help you with many of your trawler related questions.

Once again, please accept our apology and we hope that you decide to remain with us.

Tom-

Last edited:
WTF guys!!! I can't believe what I am reading here (before deleting them). A new member needs advice about trawler buying and wants to become a part of our community and the thread turns into this? It's one thing to vigorously question the opinions of a veteran member where there is some history and understanding there, but to go after a new member like this? We, as a community, cannot stand for this.

Gonzo

I can only assume that you did in fact already delete the offending posts, as I cannot see anything that should be considered for deletion. Do remember that if you delete the offense, none of us will no what offends you.

Milshooter

Welcome!!! Good to see someone really research a big move like you are. I have only a couple things to add, which may be redundant, but I like redundancy.

First, I would say that you might want to consider an interim boat, to help you clarify your real interest in the dream. Only about 1% of the people I have either met or heard of that intended to blue water cruise, actually ended up doing so. This occurs for many reasons, whether they be the fear factor that sets in when there is no longer land to be seen, medical issues, or just plain satisfaction with local cruising. I would bet that you could explore every mile of the US coast, excluding Hawaii, and never feel you were missing anything. If you must cruise foreign waters, there is always the option to charter in those areas. There is a lot more that could be said on this, but I'll leave that to others.

My recommendation to anyone with your interests would be to buy a 30'-36' Willard as soon as you can, and enjoy the use of it for the many years between now and the big voyage. If the big voyage never comes, you will have lost nothing.
Enjoy the process!!!
Carey

Last edited:
Now, in addition to facing a failed dream, I may have to re-evaluate both my near-term and long-term plans.

There is a major huge difference between a failed dream and a modified dream that becomes a reality. A lot of new boaters get sucked into getting in way over their heads, either by their own vision of what boating should be or by others feeding them pie in the sky ideas. The end result is invariably disappointment, frustration, and perhaps a major financial penalty.

Better, I think, that the dreamer find out ASAP what's just a dream and what can become reality for him. That way he can concentrate on having a happy, challenging, exciting and rewarding time with whatever boat best fits his achievable goals, instead of encountering countless obstacles in pursuit of something that's simply not meant to be.

In no way am I trying to discourage you from getting a cruising boat. I am trying to encourage you to get one that will give you the most rewarding and satisfying time on the water.

Wow, that was a lot of information. I was (again) unaware that continuing costs were so high. I completely agree that I should buy the smallest boat I can afford, but it must also suit my needs of being large enough to live aboard comfortably (not in opulence, but not spartan). Now, I’m not sure I can afford any of this. The ongoing expenses will surely bankrupt me, even on a smaller boat.

Please don’t think I’m angry. I truly appreciate the slap in the face. Your reasoned response to my inquiry brought me back to reality.

You appear to swing from one extreme to the other. Rather than black or white you may want to consider gray, which can be a very nice colour in its own right. And it comes in a surprising array of shades, all the way from nearly white to almost black.

For example, there's a retired mechanic living on our dock. He's far from wealthy, maybe 53 years old, probably never saved much money, I think he's waiting for some pension to kick in but he doesn't have much more than slip and grocery money right now. He lives on a 3788 Bayliner and does so very comfortably. Far be it from me to encourage anyone to buy a Bayliner and its about as far over on the continuum away from "full displacement" as you can get. However, I think he paid $35,000 for it, its in pristine condition and it costs him virtually nothing to maintain. He pulls it himself every couple of years to do bottom paint and change zincs. He runs it at displacement speed so he doesn't burn much fuel and he keeps it in the Gulf Islands where there is a ton of scenery to see within an hour cruise from his home dock. Is it an ocean crosser? Absolutely not and nobody would dream of trying to make it into one. Does it provide him with a liveaboard lifestyle cruising in the PNW? Absolutely - he cruises in the same waters as the Nordies and Selenes and Krogens do. As others have already pointed out after you have exhausted the coastal waters, if that is possible, then you can charter in exotic locales or you can load your boat on Yachtpath or Dockwise. They're not free but as you are rapidly learning, ocean crossing isn't free no matter how you do it.

Every one of us here who owns a boat travelled a journey to get to the boat we currently own. For some that journey involved multiple boats. Others of us did a lot of looking before we bought. Some likely leaped in and got lucky. I suspect the ones that leaped in and DIDN'T get lucky aren't posting here. Keep looking and learning. And think about embracing your inner gray. :D

I`m with Gonzo on some of the responses,but impressed MilShooter is separating the wheat from the chaff, focusing on the advice.
MilShooter,there are get "get home"auxiliary diesels which drive the prop shaft of a single main engine. I think the drive can be mechanical or hydraulic,don`t know much about it,others will. I`d question long ocean voyages,especially solo,without back up, and suspect you are over-rating grounding risks with a 2 engine/rudder set-up. BruceK

Do you really need to plan for a hurricane?

That's not the question.

The question is do you really plan on Blue Water distance motoring , where you will require (and pay for) the different build requirements of a rare (1 in 200) genuine offshore boat?

.....but I am not a big fan of 2 engines - because I will undoubtedly find some shoals in my cruising and it seems to me that most dual engine setups have largely unprotected props and shafts.

Not really true. Most twin diesel cruisers--- like GB---- have a keel that extends down below the props and rudders. So if one goes into shoal water and touches bottom, the keel would touch first just as it would on a single engine boat of the same type.

I can't speak for all cruiser makes, but in the case of the GB-- and I believe a number of others-- the props and rudders are set close enough in to the centerline of the boat that if the boat should go aground and then the tide go out so the boat tips over onto it's side, it will go over until it's resting on the keel and the downside chine. But the props, shafts, and rudders will not touch the bottom--- they will be inside the "triangle" of clear space between the keel, the outboard chine, and the seabed.

So under ideal grounding conditions (if there is such a thing:)), when the tide comes back in the boat will simply refloat itself assuming the other factors affecting this are in the boat's favor.

I took the photo below on Memorial Day weekend this year at a bay on one of the San Juan islands where we cruise. Big wind came up during the night, his anchor dragged, and he was blown onto these rocks at high tide. Tide went out and here he was the next morning. So far as I know the boat floated free two tides later (the next one wasn't high enough) and while I don't know if the boat was able to proceed under its own power of if there was other damage that required a tow, one way or the other the boat was gone by the time we left the island early that afternoon.

I have no idea if the running gear and rudders sustained any damage when the boat was blown backwards onto these then-submerged rocks, but from what I see in my photo it is conceivable that there wasn't any.

Bottom line being that operating in shallow water is not a reason to not have a twin-engine boat, at least one that is capable of bumping the bottom and not damaging the running gear and rudders.

Attachments

• Drag 1.jpg
    Drag 1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 108
Not really true. Most twin diesel cruisers--- like GB---- have a keel that extends down below the props and rudders. So if one goes into shoal water and touches bottom, the keel would touch first just as it would on a single engine boat of the same type. ...

I contend that a single-engined/propellered boat like this provides much more protection to the shaft, propeller, and rudder:

img_93258_0_677222ace3f1b05ba863ca3d8d4a4476.jpg

I contend that a single-engined/propellered boat like this provides much more protection to the shaft, propeller, and rudder:

I think in theory you are correct. Particularly with debris in the water like logs, branches, deadheads, etc.

But with only one exception that I can think of offhand, all the people I know personally who have gotten stuff wound up in their props or have had damage done to their prop or rudder have been single engine boat owners, power and sail. At which point they were dead in the water and had to come home on the end of a rope (none of them are divers so they couldn't free up their props themselves).

The one person I knew with a twin who had debris disable one of his shafts and props had a whirlpool in a rapids launch a huge log up into the bottom of his boat (steel-hulled deFever) where it jammed between the shaft and the hull. While the log eventually popped free the driveline on that side was bent pretty bad, so he came home to Seattle from up north on the other engine.

But I do agree that the risk of picking up damaging debris is higher with a twin engine boat than a single, particularly if the helmsman is not vigilant about looking out for what's in the water ahead of him.

But the point for the original poster, I think, is that as he begins to narrow his list of potential types of boats that will meet his requirements, I don't think he should rule out twin engine boats simply on the basis that they might be more susceptible to running gear damage in shallow water. A lot of them aren't, and this sort of problem usually has to do more with who's driving that how many engines are under the floor.

Not saying singles are a less-than-ideal choice, here, so I'm not trying to start that debate again. Only refuting what I feel is a false assumption on the OP's part that twins are automatically at a disadvantage when cruising in shallower water.

Last edited:
That boat aground sure looks like a 40ft Heritage

I don't know what it was. All those "cabin cruiser" style boats look the same to me, and neither my binoculars nor my lens could bring the image in enough to read any sort of brand name on the side if there was one there to read. All I know is the boat was down for the weekend from Canada. I think there was someone on this forum familiar with the boat or at least knew what make and model it is and where it is from.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. MS. Bear with me please but this happens all the time as per post #2. Not trying to sideline your thread but I can't resist....Mr. Marin. Was the anchor that dragged a Rocna, Bruce or Danforth? Hahahaha....

Greetings,
Mr. MS. Bear with me please but this happens all the time as per post #2. Not trying to sideline your thread but I can't resist....Mr. Marin. Was the anchor that dragged a Rocna, Bruce or Danforth? Hahahaha....

I agree...lets see how long we can keep going even if the OP doesn't come back...:D

Let's not, please.

Mr. Marin. Was the anchor that dragged a Rocna, Bruce or Danforth? Hahahaha....

As I reported in the initial post I made about this incident a few days after it happened, I was told the anchor was a Bruce. However these days a lot of people tend to call any sort of claw-type anchor a "Bruce" so I cant tell you with absolute certainty that it was a genuine Bruce or a knockoff.

Perhaps if one of our Canadian members knows the boat he can give us the correct info.

If the goal is to cross the Atlantic; how often would you want to do it? A true blue water boat that size would be tough to live aboard. (small windows; required for rough seas; small cabins, etc. If the goal is to cruise the Med, fly over and buy or charter a more comfortable coastal cruiser over there. If the goal is just to cruise you can follow the sun up and down the east coast from Canada to the Caribbean and never get tired and do it in a very nice and comfortable 40 footer. True blue water is very scary (watch the Perfect Storm or the Deadliest Catch). I spent a lot of years in the navy on a 450' ship with the bow 50' off of the water and we regularly took blue water over the bow. I have photo's of our ship underway replenishing with the Intreped (this was a long time ago) and their flight deck was awash.
Keep looking; go to the Annapolis boat show in October. They have lots of trawlers there and a lot of them have the owners on board. They love to talk about their boats, where they have cruised, where they want to cruise.
Good luck
John
390 Mainship

Most twin diesel cruisers--- like GB---- have a keel that extends down below the props and rudders. So if one goes into shoal water and touches bottom, the keel would touch first just as it would on a single engine boat of the same type.
Somehow anchors are getting a mention! I deny any connection to the Bruce anchor;any clawing is purely arthritic.
At the time of purchase our IG36 had symmetrical damage to the keel and both rudders, presumably from a gentle grounding. Props were unaffected.Maybe the keel touched first and settled, bringing the rudders into contact with the bottom,I have not measured the respective depths. Having rudder and prop protected as on many single engine boats is a plus, but so is having twin engines. As in life,there are pluses and minuses, you make a choice. BruceK

<snipped>
Once again, please accept our apology and we hope that you decide to remain with us.

Tom-

Thanks, Tom, for your effort and welcome. As I mentioned to you earlier, I actually learned some useful information while I was set ablaze.

I accept your offer to stick around.

To All:
I think I made a mistake of jumping-in too fast and too hard, without surveying the climate here. What the responders didn't remember, even though I stated it plainly, was that I propose to spend the next 5 years or so doing my cruising in the Chesapeake, Coastal Florida, and the Bahamas and also taking many courses to enhance my knowledge and skillset. Only when I achieve proficiency will I seriously consider or plan for any ocean crossing. And, for those who question my "crossing alone" sanity, I intend to have a crew for anything I'm not comfortable with and that includes crossings. My coastal cruising will be solo.

Further, most respondents didn't know (I did not give enough details of my experience) that, while I've never owned a "big boat", I cruised the Chesapeake (and ICW to Stuart), and some of the Bahamas on others' boats as well as my own runabout. I was young, but my parents supported my desire at 14 years old, to buy a boat and spend entire summers on it until I entered the Army at 18. Long ago, I took several Power Squadron courses on seamanship, handling, navigation, and emergency medicine. I learned celestial navigation using a sextant although today, with the GPS systems available, I'll probably not need it in the future.

As to my fear of hurricanes, and the ability today to run from them, I had a bad experience in early September 1979 aboard a friend's fairly new GB (it was a wooden boat but I don't remember its vintage). Stupidly, my friend decided that the oncoming storm would pass to our south, especially after it began to weaken and forecasters generally agreed that it would continue below Cuba and hit Mexico, so we remained in the Bahamas. Bad choice - the storm (it was named Dave if my memory is correct) turned north to find us anchored-out is a sheltered mooring, but we got hammered. I was young and indestructible at the time. But it left me with a mark - so I am cautious when it comes to hurricanes. I don't think I can change my feelings just because forecasting is better now... the forecasters aren't infallible and I don't want to lose my boat. I almost forgot - I rode-out another hurricane that affected the Chesapeake on my runabout. I think it was in 1971. Sorry, but I am still afraid of them.

Anyway, this posting got too long. I'm going to quietly look around and read for a while before stubbing my toes again.

To characterize my observations of this thread, I'd just say that some people didn't yet know me or my experiences. From that comes misunderstanding and assumptions.

If anyone has a question for me, I'll try to answer it. I am still working at defining my goals and my future boat. Like anything, they're adjustable. I have one request: if I've made a bad assumption based on your knowledge, don't just jump on me and say things like "your mind is already made up" or "you're crazy to worry about hurricanes" when you haven't walked in my shoes, experienced my life, or read my mind. I don't mind being wrong - I just want to know WHY I'm wrong. You'll find I'm actually a good student. And please remember that facts are different than opinions.

And I haven't decided on anything yet.

Gary

And let me take this opportunity to do something that was pointed out to me and we were all guilty of overlooking ---

WELCOME TO THE TRAWLER FORUM!!!

Tom-

P.S. I will also apologize as I feel like I made some uneducated assumptions in my reply to your questions too. Thanks for coming back and taking the time to tell us about yourself.

Last edited:
Gary--- Every person on this forum started out not knowing anything about boats or boating. So we've all learned in some way or another.

You actually have more experience on the water under your belt than a lot of people who desire to get into cruising. So for you, the decision is more what type of boat to get and when, not so much whether or not it's a good idea for you to pursue in the first place.

We all approach things based on past experiences. I grew up in Hawaii and until I moved here (PNW) all my boating experience was in the open ocean except for a summer of lake experience on Michigan and Superior and wee bit of river experience in another part of the world. While I enjoyed the blue water fishing and sailing at the time, I've been there, done that, and got the T-shirt on that kind of boating and I have no desire whatsoever to ever do it again. My idea of boating heaven is the inside salt water of NW Washington, British Columbia, and SE Alaska. So everything my wife and I do in boating is geared toward that specific part of the world and the boats we have are designed perfectly for that kind of water.

If someone held a gun to may head and said I had to boat on the east coast or the gulf or they'd pull the trigger I'd be afraid of hurricanes, too, and what to do with our larger boat if one happened along. I'm forever thankful I had no desire to live in that part of the country and so don't have to deal with that particular problem. But I can certainly sympathize with your concern.

From your stated plan of spending the next several years cruising the coastal waters of the east coast before tackling something bigger, I wonder if the notion that my good friend Carey suggested earlier in this thread is the way to go: starting out with a good but smaller boat of the basic type you are drawn to--- single engine displacement of which the Willard is a prime example-- and doing your solo coastal cruising in that.

Willards were made in several sizes--- I think the smallest is 30 feet but I've seen some really neat models that are in the mid to upper 30s in length--- and there are other boat makes that might meet your requirements as well. Eric Henning of this forum just brought his 30' Willard from his previous home in SE Alaska down the Passage to his new home here in Washington. So these boats are certainly capable of some impressive cruises.

The nice thing about acquiring a smaller boat like a Willard at this point is that you won't be into the boat for a ton of money, which should mean that a buyer later on won't have to cough up a ton of money to buy it from you, and its lower ownership costs should allow you to put more funds toward a larger boat should you reach that stage in your boating adventures.

But the bottom line is there is no formula or set path for getting into cruising. It's an evolutionary path and everyone's is different. So don't take all the advice and and "you should's" on forums like this too seriously. There will be some suggestions that are worth noting but in the end it will be something that you will work out one step at a time.

Most of us got into boating before there was an internet, or at least before there were forums like this one. In some ways, maybe we had it better as we weren't being bombarded with opinionated suggestions from people we'd never heard of and who we had no idea if they knew what they were talking about or not. So we tried this and tried that and talked to people we met in person along the way and followed our instinct and logic and common sense and here we are.

So maybe the thing to do is duplicate that "old time" learning curve. Turn off the wifi, turn off the computer, turn the sound down on all the the digital "help" you're getting, and just start exploring your idea. Information is great, but too much information more often than not leads to confusion, indecision, and ultimately, inaction. Which is not how you get anything done, let alone pursue a dream.

I made up my mind to move from Hawaii to the Pacific Northwest while standing on the aft deck of the BC ferry Queen of Prince Rupert in August, 1977 at the top of the Inside Passage when the fog burned off and revealed an amazing landscape of mountains, waterfalls, islands, and incredible green saltwater channels teeming with life.. I didn't ask anyone's advice about moving. I didn't ask for reviews about moving. I didn't ask anyone the best way to get into moving. I didn't ask anyone how I should move or what kind of packing crate was best, mahogany or pine. I weighed the pros and cons in my mind, felt that my gut told me it was the right decision, and did it.

I'm wondering if maybe that's what you need to do with regards to your desire to take up cruising.

image-3157783980.jpg

Last edited:
I have limited "blue water" exerience (transoceanic) to cruise ships. Much more comfortable, particularly in 50-plus-foot waves.

232323232%7Ffp73396%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3A53296%3C2336nu0mrj

Gary, I know less now than I thought I new when I joined this forum. The advice here has been very helpful to me and I hope it helps you on your quest. I kinda fell in my boat so there was no choice in the matter. It burned and it was cheep and big..Long story short. I don't envy the choices your going to have to make to purchase your first vessel. Sorry if I made assumptions about you and your wants and needs. Welcome and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom