Fuel grade valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adelaide

Vessel Name
Adelaide
Vessel Make
1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
FF mentioned this in and old conversation as something I should think about doing. I have 2 steel tanks with inspection ports and drain plugs at the opposite corner from the fuel line. What is the process of installation of these valves to drain water? Does anyone have a link to where I can get more info on it.

Thanks

Adelaide, I may be wrong but I think the Coast Guard doesn't like openings in the bottom of fuel tanks. Do your fuel lines come off the bottom of the tank?

Yes the fuel supply lines do connect to the bottom corner of my fuel tanks.

Back in my ill spent youth I had a boat that gravity fed the fuel from the bottom of the tank to the engine. It was pointed out to me that if the fuel line broke the tank would drain into the bilge. Someone will find this thread and tell us what the rules are about this.

The USCG "does not like" gravity feeds for Inspected Vessels?

If your boat is inspected to carry over 6 Pax , they will object.

There is to my knowledge no "rule" for non inspected that would be a problem.

We use the low point drain as a drain, and to be sure nothing gets into the bilge that might generate a hissy fit from a "sheen" on the water , install a plug in the valve.

When its water & gunk draining time the plug is removed , a hose fitting installed and the valve used to control the drain.

Belt and suspenders folks could safety wire the valve when closed , although the most likely problem is physical damage .Someones big foot , or a flying tool box.

FF

If your boat is inspected to carry over 6 Pax , they will object.

Another myth.

46CFR182.455: "Diesel fuel lines may be connected to the fuel tank at or near the bottom of the tank."

FF mentioned this in and old conversation as something I should think about doing. I have 2 steel tanks with inspection ports and drain plugs at the opposite corner from the fuel line. What is the process of installation of these valves to drain water? Does anyone have a link to where I can get more info on it.

Thanks

Any decent quality ball valve should work...if in doubt ask a plumber if they have a supply for anyone who uses home heating oil..

Just never use brass/bronze with aluminum tanks.....

Just never use brass/bronze with aluminum tanks.....

Brass alloys are about all you will be able to find unless you want to spend a fortune on stainless steel valves which are just as likely (or unlikely in fact) to corrode aluminum.

The fact is that unless your tank and valves spend a lot of time wet with salt water, corrosion should be way down the list of things to worry about. Consider all the brass and bronze components of the machinery you already have installed that has aluminum housings.

Though it often ISN'T a problem...and I understand there is brass and aluminum mixed in many situations...it can be and at the bottom of a fuel tank (aluminum) pin hole leaks aren't fun.

Some people spring for aluminum valves or stainless...or as a minimum...use a stainless nipple between the brass and the aluminum tank.

I know...unless you know all the alloys you are just rolling the dice...but I still think the odds are better than straight brass/bronze (anything with copper in it) screwed into aluminum.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to it as I'm nursing an aluminum tank on my assistance towing boat with pinholes in it. Someone used a brass plug in the aux fuel pickup years ago.

Last edited:
Genuine fuel rated valves are easily ordered from Jamestown and other marine sources.

Using Home Cheapo water valves it is probably not internal corrosion that is a risk,

dissolving the packing and leaking might be the problem.

FF

Most of those ball valves use teflon seals and seats so using them on diesel is no problem.

Apollo valves are easily found nearly everywhere (including Lowes and probably Home Depot) and are inexpensive and dependable.

They are widely and successfully used in the marine industry

I vote with RickB. The Apollo valves should work fine. The ones you buy in a marine store will have stainless handles. The ones at the Big Box stores will have steel handles. The plain steel handles will probably last many years and be significantly cheaper. (Note to self: Shut up stupid, you're trying to sell valves.)
This is what I installed in my fuel manifold more than twenty years ago and they're still fine. Apollo Conbraco Marine Ball Valve w/ Stainless Handle

Back
Top Bottom