K-dock anchor survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Out of curiosity, examined visible anchors yesterday carried on the bows of boats berthed at K dock at the Vallejo (CA) Municipal Marina.

Of 61 boats, 52 had bow anchors. Eight had two anchors. Most boats were in the 35-to-50-foot range, some longer and some shorter. About equal number power and sailboats, including a couple of motorsailers and one houseboat.

Anchor types and numbers were as follows:

Bruce-like: 9
CQR: 24
Delta-like:9
Danforth-like:16
Other: 1 (flat triangle plate with 180-degree rollbar)

Boats carrying multiple anchors:
3 with Bruce and CQR
3 with two CQRs
2 with CQR and Danforth

The newest anchors were almost all Deltas.

hmm.gif

Last edited:
Interesting Mark. I've been taking stock of what's out there too and found that CQR's are much more numerous that I would have thought. The "flat triangle plate w roll bar" is a Bugel .. A German anchor that predates that Rocna. An excellent anchor I think but not w super high holding power probably because of low fluke area.
Something I've observed here in BC is that Northill and homade Northhill anchors are VERY popular in the fishing fleet. Like in Alaska there are a lot of Claws but here I'd say the Northills are most popular.
In your observations I wonder why the Deltas are so popular in the Delta.

... I'd say the Northills are most popular.
In your observations I wonder why the Deltas are so popular in the Delta.

Eric, perhaps because there are so many float planes in the PNW using the Northill (designed for seaplanes), and an anchor named "Delta" must be ideal (huh?) for using in the delta.

It is interesting that you have been talking about Delta anchors. For the first time had trouble a couple of times setting my Delta. I would drop the anchor, lay out about a 7 to 1 scope and back down on it. It would stop the boat with a little bow dip, so it seemed set. In a little while the anchor alarm would sound. So, I would check it, and try to back down on the anchor again. It was not set. On this trip we would anchor in 8 to 12' of perfectly clear water. So, I took my dinghy and look bucket out to see what was going on. Upon following the line and chain to the anchor, I found it laying on its side. So, I dove down to see what was going on. Upon scratching around, I found a thin layer of sand over coral rock. The rock was bumpy, and must have caught the point of the anchor when backing down. When the tension was released it would fall over on its side. I don't think any anchor would set under those conditions. It just happened twice, but it made me a little skeptical about holding. From then on I used the same procedure to make certain the anchor was buried.

Good investigative work. Much better than just condemning the Delta.

The Northill aircraft anchor is a real beauty.

Built to fold (to be easy to store) and of Stainless Steel , to not screw up the on board compasses , its rare to see!

FF

I took a walk down the Everett marine dock looking at what anchors boats have. This is the results:

Power 40 to 45 ft
Bruce 9
Danforth 3
Delta 1
Maxuim 3

Sail 40 to 45 ft
Bruce 2
QCR 4

Power 45+ ft.

Bruce 5
QCR 4
Danfoth 4
Forjord 2
Maxium 5
Ronoc 1

Sail 45+ ft
Bruce 2
QCR 7

On the commercial dock

Under 45 ft
Bruce 6
Danfoth 2
Forjord 2

Over 45 Ft
Forjord 7
Bruce 2

I took a walk 10+ years ago so we have three anchors – QCR, Danforth and a Forjord. The QCR was the primary anchor when we bought the boat. However, I found the QCR dragged, so I changed to the Danforth. Being I moored and tend to follow the commercial boat, I bought a Forjord which is the now the primary.

We have the chain/line/windless to deploy two anchors in need be. Many boats over 50 had to anchors a CQR/Bruce and Danforth/Forjord. I believed the anchor is dependant on the kind of bottom. Rock/Hard – Bruce/QCR mud/sand/soft – Danforth/Forjord.

Dear Phil, maybe your CQR dragged because you had it on back to front in a QCR fashion - never do that - they don't work well backwards at all, at all....:lol:

Dear Phil, maybe your CQR dragged because you had it on back to front in a QCR fashion - never do that - they don't work well backwards at all, at all....:lol:

Peter B, obviously you are not familiar with our QCR anchors.:D:D

Peter--- The QCR anchor is quite popular in some areas of the US. The full name of the anchor is Quick and Consistent Release. Needless to say, it has a slotted shank........

My father in all his great ideas and many years of boating told me once. Anchors are like feet all different and all capable under the right conditions. I have a nice Danforth now that the shank is bent a little over 90 degrees where i tried to back it out from a snag. QCR would have prevented this but the up side that baby was SET !!!

Peter--- The QCR anchor is quite popular in some areas of the US. The full name of the anchor is Quick and Consistent Release. Needless to say, it has a slotted shank........
Ah...yes..shoulda seen that, of course. Marin you are a master of 'sarca'sm... and really 'excel' at it. Still, I'm sure one day you will 'anchorright'.

Dropping the anchor scare me to heck as the chain rattle, bang clanks out of the locker. :eek: So I just push the anchor off the anchor gang plank thing and let it drop while the boat drifts back wards. The QCR has a swivel, so it should land correct after several tries? Why is there a trick to setting QCR anchors?:confused:

The Danfoth sets ever time and seem to hold. The Forjord we have only day anchor, so we have not put it to the test. I don't like anchoring because we can not beat the silver/bald hair boater :hide: to the protected shallow places, so we usually have to anchor out in the deeper unprotect areas. :mad:

. I don't like anchoring because we can not beat the silver/bald hair boater :hide: to the protected shallow places, so we usually have to anchor out in the deeper unprotect areas. :mad:

Us silver/bald hair boaters are fast. Our motto is, "if you can't beat them honestly, get a big head start".:D

A bit more on the trip report. Anchored w the Manson Supreme in 20' of water over rather firm mud bottom w about 60' of line and chain out. Hooked up really quick and 1200rpm made the line very tight. Felt nothing that could be interpreted as anything other than hooked solid. An excellent performance and the best so far w that anchor. Used the slot to attach the shackle. Haven't used this anchor yet for a number of reasons mostly the thought of cleaning the mud off in the morning. That didn't occur to me when I bought it but it does when I choose from six anchors which one to deploy. Don't want to clean the Dreadnought either.
We're on Pender Is tonight.

I took a walk down the Everett marine dock looking at what anchors boats have. This is the results:

Power 40 to 45 ft
Bruce 9
Danforth 3
Delta 1
Maxuim 3

Sail 40 to 45 ft
Bruce 2
QCR 4

Power 45+ ft.

Bruce 5
QCR 4
Danfoth 4
Forjord 2
Maxium 5
Ronoc 1

Sail 45+ ft
Bruce 2
QCR 7

On the commercial dock

Under 45 ft
Bruce 6
Danfoth 2
Forjord 2

Over 45 Ft
Forjord 7
Bruce 2

I took a walk 10+ years ago so we have three anchors – QCR, Danforth and a Forjord. The QCR was the primary anchor when we bought the boat. However, I found the QCR dragged, so I changed to the Danforth. Being I moored and tend to follow the commercial boat, I bought a Forjord which is the now the primary.

We have the chain/line/windless to deploy two anchors in need be. Many boats over 50 had to anchors a CQR/Bruce and Danforth/Forjord. I believed the anchor is dependant on the kind of bottom. Rock/Hard – Bruce/QCR mud/sand/soft – Danforth/Forjord.

Took another walk on the 4th, down the Everett covered moorage:

30 to 40 ft

Power
Bruce 5
Danforth 6
QCR 5
Rocna 1
Delta 2

Sail
QCR 7
Danforth 2
Bruce 2

40 to 50 ft

Power
Danforth 6
Bruce 8
QCR 8
Delta 6
Forjord 5

For power the Bruce is #1, QCR #2, Danforth #3. I am surprised about the QCR as I had thought it was more of a sail boat anchor. The Delta/Maxum/Forjord where on boats 50+ ft. I noticed that the Bruce and QCR are more sharper on the edges/pointy at the tip, which might be the reason they seem to set quickly. I still question their over all holding power. It would seem an anchor with a larger surface area like the Danforth/Forjord would hold better.

Many of the anchors look to be undersized. If my windless can handle it I would like to get a 100+ lb of the anchor I finally decided on. As I said before I tend to follow the commercial boats which are 90% forjord. :confused:

Phil Fill,
I made at least 2 of the same observations. Had no idea there were that many CQR's on powerboats ... But ther'e are.
Undersized anchors? To be sure. And I'm also surprised to see so many larger boats w small anchors .. A great many of them Claws. I think it's related to how much they think ther'e going to use it. Do'nt think I've ever seen a fishing boat in Alaska w a small anchor but around here ther'e are plenty ... Mostly on very big skiffs that come in every night. And I also think the anchor one sees on a boat is usually the anchor that was there when they bought the boat. When I ask about anchors I often get a "came w the boat" answer. I can't be very critical of that either as every anchor I've tried except one has worked fine.

What is disturbing are boats six and ten feet longer with more than twice the windage of the Coot carrying CQR or claw anchors the size of my 15-kilogram Bruce-like. And I consider myself "under anchored" except for the protected waters where I boat.

On the other hand, the majority of boats never seem to leave the marina. So for them, an anchor is an ornament.

Back
Top Bottom