Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #38
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostviking View Post
Yeah, I`ll do that

I did not realize it was a channel there. I read about one channel going across florida, but somehow i figured it was not finished because of environmental reasons. Glad to hear I was wrong.
I think you might be referring to the "Cross Florida Barge Canal".....it ran from just above Crystal River on the Gulf side and crossed over just below Ocala and continue over to around Palatka and hook to the St. John's River....which was never finished....and it was pretty much halted for environmental reasons...aside from the fact that it was pretty much a pork barrel project that was a waste of money because its economic value was over estimated.

Today's remnant of the canal attached to the Gulf...just above the Nuke plant at Red Level...is a marginal anchorage at best. The canal was dredged to the bedrock..lime...and an anchor has a hard time doing much more than sliding across the bottom. On a couple transits of the area...we ended up tying up at an FWC state dock for the night and leaving early in the morning....it is calm up in there...and make sure you don't go up the canal to the nuke plant...security is "touchy".
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote