Westerbeke Putting Out 145V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
I don't know why I never noticed this, but frankly the AC voltage gauge isn't that precise. I recently put a multi-tester in an AC outlet with the Genset running at no load. It read 142 volts. Someone at the marina suggested testing the RPM, and that if it was too high that would cause a high voltage reading.

It is a Westerbeke 4.5 WMD, and should run at 1800RPM. I have a manual RPM gauge that I can get a reading directly from the flywheel, so I will check that next time we're on the boat. Anything else I should look at?

The online docs available from Westerbeke don't tell how to adjust anything. I'm going to call them but just thought I'd check here as well.

Thanks in advance.

I found what you need in thier online manual. There is a solenoid that controls the speed. The linkage can be adjusted to change the speed. You would have to make the linkage "shorter" I believe to slow down the rpm.
It won't take much of an adjustment to get it down to 125 V or whatever you want to set it at.
I have a 4.4 BCD and it's adustjed the same way. I think mine's at about 125 at idle which loads down to about 115 when really loaded up.
Here's the linkhttp://www.westerbeke.com/OnlineManuals/43444_Rev1_W13-35B_WMD4.4-10BTD_Technical_Man.pdf
and it's on page 92.

Thanks, that did it! That PDF includes several models, including mine.

Had the same problem with our Westerbeke after the previous owner jury-rigged the stop solenoid and it burned out. If I recall correctly, there is a mechanical relationship between that linkage, the stop solenoid pull down, and RPM. My manual is on the boat (and I'm not tonight), but take a close look so you don't burn out that solenoid, it's about 60-70 bucks for a replacement. You also might consider using a Kill-O-Watt to set the AC power frequency instead of a tach; it's the cheapest freq counter that I know of. I diddled around and managed to hit a full load frequency of 59.9 hertz. To me, that would be more important than the voltage (about 118-119 VAC if I remember) as most electrics like to see 60 Hz power. Good luck !

Rick Haverstock

The solenoid MUST make full travel, that is what prevents it from burning out.
Once full travel is established, you then adjust the linkage length to get the proper voltage.

Yes it does and yes it will!!

The solenoid MUST make full travel, that is what prevents it from burning out.
Once full travel is established, you then adjust the linkage length to get the proper voltage.
And they aren't cheap.

Had the same problem with our Westerbeke after the previous owner jury-rigged the stop solenoid... don't burn out that solenoid, it's about 60-70 bucks for a replacement.

Rick Haverstock
A bargain compared to an MDKD Onan solenoid at around $350. BruceK

I spoke the the nearest Westerbeke dealer. They said to check the RPM first. Adjusting the Solenoid can be done with a screwdriver, and I have a friend with a manual RPM guage that you put on the flywheel. They had never heard of high voltage that wasn't caused by high RPM, and they had heard various causes for low voltage. So more than likely my genny is running at 1900 RPM or so and I just need to tone down the fuel flow.

Note that rpm should be set at least with 50% load. No load RPM will be high and cause high output voltage and cycles. If you set your RPM with no load you will find that once you start loading the genset the voltage will be so low that you will burn up motors and compressors.

I suggest that you load up the genset and then see where the voltage/rpms are before you adjust anything.

Hello all. I simply adjusted the fuel solenoid to the left about 1/2 inch and that lowered the RPM down to the reccomended 1800RPM. Then the voltage was down to 124V. Nice. Thanks for all the help, and hope this helps others. I only needed a flat blade screw-driver to make the adjustement.

Hello all. I simply adjusted the fuel solenoid to the left about 1/2 inch and that lowered the RPM down to the reccomended 1800RPM. Then the voltage was down to 124V. Nice. Thanks for all the help, and hope this helps others. I only needed a flat blade screw-driver to make the adjustement.

Awesome. :dance:

Need to adjust a 8KW WMD voltage. Look at link to manual but didn't see how it was done. As was noted the RPM can be adjusted with a screwdriver. What screw is changed? Is it pictured on the manual link? Thanks.

I never heard of a screw driver adjustment. The RPM is adjusted with the linkage. The linkage is adjusted with 2 10mm wrenches or maybe 12mm. There is a stop screw that should not be adjusted. If you use that to adjust the RPM you will burn up the fuel solenoid.

Thanks Jim. Found and adjusted the linkage. RPM was too high so as it came down so did the voltage.

Your welcome FP. Just be sure that once you start loading it your voltage does not drop below about 110 volts. I have a 7.7 and a 12.5 Westerbeke on Sea Eagle. The 12.5 no load runs at about 140V. The 7.7 runs at about 135 no load. Both stay within 115v and 125v once loaded. Which one running depends on what I anticipate the load to be. You should set your RPM with your genset at what the normal load will most likely be.

Jim Spence got it right (see above) when he said adjustments need to be made with at least 50% load connected. RPM is PRIMARILY about getting the Hertz(Cycles) right. At load, 1800 rpm should be 60Hz and a +/- 5Hz is ok (less is better fo course).

While this might have some impact on voltage, it ain't necessarily so. If your genset is regulated by an AVR (Automatic Voltagae Regularor) rather than the more basic capacitor style regulation, the circuit board within the AVR housing will likley have 2-4 screwdriver-adjustable 'pots'. These are typically used for fine-tuning voltage and other parameters. you may need to ask for a seperate manual or instruction sheet for the AVR itself. This will give you the best, mos stable voltage output

with a/c and refrig on running about 124 volts. This is an old generator so not much else do do in the way of adjustments. No=load volts range goes up to 132 volts per Westerbekes specs so they compensate for load by setting rpm at 1850 to 1880 in no-load environment with the resulting upper end of 132 volts.

Back
Top Bottom