View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
I became intrigued with boats and the water as a wee lad in Sausalito when my mom would take me for walks on the docks in the little harbor. Back then Sausalito was just a small fishing and railroad town with a smattering of artists, sculptors, and writers, which is what my parents both were. I suspect a small green and yellow Monterey herring boat named Lucky Lady is responsible for my lifelong desire to be around and on water. I'm not all that interested in boats per se. For me they are a means to an end, the end being the ability to be out on the water. I enjoy our two boats because they are our ticket to being out on the water. But I'm really not that interested in other boats, at least not modern production recreational boats.

I like being on the water because it is constantly changing. Even in the same place it's never the same twice. I did a lot of boating in Hawaii where I grew up, from sailing to recreational and commercial fishing (as a sideline to my real job in television).

The same love of the water's never-ending change and constant challenge and element of risk moved me from landplanes to seaplanes when I moved to Seattle in 1979, and I have never had a desire to fly a landplane since.

Countless flights up and down the Inside Passage began focusing my wife's and my desire to explore the same area in more detail by boat someday. That day came in 1998 when we purchased our old GB.

My job and past vacations have taken me to many places on the planet but while I have seen some fantastic scenery and had some remarkable experiences, some having to do with boats and the ocean, I would not want to live anywhere, or boat anywhere, other than between Anacortes, Washington and Yakutat, Alaska. One could spend a lifetime exploring the islands and bays and communities strung out along the Inside Passage and its appendages.

I love the ever-changing weather and the many moods of the inside waters. I love the mist, the rain, the fog, even the storms if I don't have to go out or fly in them. Sunny days provide a nice change of pace but I've had more than my quota of hot, never-ending sunny days in Hawaii. That was one of the two main reasons I left: I just couldn't take the weather--- or non-weather--- anymore. My favorite days here ae when it's cold, overcast and misty. It's like the world has come alive.

I cannot conceive of living or boating or flying anywhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Tail.jpg   Low Tide.jpg   Johnstone.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote