36 Aft Cabin LPG Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I would like to convert my electric stove to LPG and the electric hot water tank to ‘on demand’ LPG.
I am considering keeping 2 40 Lb bottles on the sun deck of my 36 Mainship AC motoryacht.
Should these be kept in some kind of bottle rack? If not, how did you mount yours?

Thanks for the link, RW.
I am trying to avoid losing any kind of interior space with a locker. that is why I want to keep it outside on the lower deck. I was wondering what kind of exterior set-ups others have used.
Thanks again

Tony B

Tony, I have 2 standard 20 lb bottles mounted vertically in a rack in my flybridge console which is vented port and starboard. They are plumbed through a solenoid shutoff which is controlled with indicator in the salon. No propane sniffers installed, but I plan to update that in the near future.

My 20 lb tank is well secured on the fly bridge under the "dashboard" but not in a "proper" locker. I do have the correct sniffer, solenoide valve, etc.
Steve W.

Switch to propane , and with some work you might fit a propane RV fridge.

30 days of silent ice cream and cold beer on the hook , for a 20 lb refill monthly.

FF

This is my propane locker in the cockpit. It's a factory installation.

322919514.jpg

Thanks for the link, RW.
I am trying to avoid losing any kind of interior space with a locker.
While "locker" is probably the correct term, it doesn't have to be inside the boat. Actually, I believe it cannot be inside the boat.

A propane locker is a box with a lid and a drain that drains from the bottom directly overboard above the waterline. This allows and propane gas to exit safely.

For many boats the storage box located outside , but above the galley will allow a hand wheel on the overhead to open the propane supply.

This will save the amperage of a remote operating solenoid , about 1A per hour while on.

FF

Back
Top Bottom