View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #32
kpinnn

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Wow, a lot of information and more confusion. First as suggested I have used the Rinker at slow speeds and have had no problems, 7 knots a little slow and 9 knots perfect as long as steering is positive. The Rinker at 7 knots or 9 is a constant challenge to stay the course. Steering is also very hard. Maybe power steering is not working well. I am planning to check the pump this weekend. The attraction to a trowler is better seakeeping, economical operation and much more accessable components for maintenance. But, add the extensive windows and wood molding that is appears leak (The clipper I am looking at showes signs of window leakage in one spot. Not bad iut quick fix was a layer of fiberglass cloth at bottom edge of window.) add extensively to the maintenance. If this type of repair is simply a matter of removing and resealing that doesn't seem extremely oppressive. Assuming the plywood is not rotted. I guess I should say the preventive doesn't seem too bad. I know have two engines and everything takes twice as long and worst of all not easily accessable. Looked at a couple of Albins and they had soft decks and extensive windo leaks. I assume the house it probably rotted. Found two Mainships both with soft deck areas in the stern. Both owners told me this is common. Didn't know Bayliner made a trowler. Single engine diesel? Will look into Bertram. My bet is the amount I want to spend for a boat will limit me to the 80's boats, which by the way I think are cosmetically beautiful to look at. I assume most of the 80's boats were built with the same methods and suffer from the same problems.

Ken
kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote