anchor "sprit"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calypso1

I am in the middle of replacing the "sprit" that holds the anchor roller assembly on the bow of a 1985 42' marine trader. The original one was secured w/ two thru bolts whose heads are fiberglassed in the over head of the anchor locker. My question is what kind of backing plate was used in original construction, I'm wondering if I should pull these bolts and run new ones w/ a custom made backing plate to anchor the new assembly or if I can use the originals for the new assembly.

Hard to answer. What shape are the old bolts in? Can you move them around or are they secure? If they have been there doing there job for 27 years they could be fine.
If you are set on replacing them. someone on the forum always advocates if it is worth doing it is worth overdoing.
Lots of stress on that portion of the boat.
Make her strong.

Just my 2 cents worth.

SD

I had an adaptor plate made the fit between the old and the new as I want the roller out further so the anchor is further from the bow. Well, actually I was going to hang a mermaid off the bow, but my wife said she was to R rated for the grand children. :nonono: We moor the run about in front of the bow so the mermaid would be right there at eye level. :blush:

sprit

Thanks guys, Bolts are in good shape, no signs of working so I'll probablly reuse and not make more ways for water to get in!!

"As an FYI it's called a "pulpit." "

IF it is a hand rail system and you can stand out there .

The loads on the bow roller can be really high as the boat veers , simplest method of reducing the loading is the use of a thin snubber (1/4 or 3/8) line .attached to a bow eye just above the water line.

The line should not be long enough to reach the prop or shaft., if lost overboard.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom