View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Adelaide

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
Thanks Steve, I will order the book. Alelaide, The boat is a 30 ft Clipper. I am told the deck is solid and no core. Still I do understand that water under the teak can cause the screws to pull out from freezing. Is the house cored or molded fiberglass? Yes I understand the handling characteristics will be very different from my Rinker. Like anything practice, time, and careful planning will take care of that. I am estatic regarding the access to mechanical parts in all of the trawlers I have seen. They appear to be easy to maintaine compared to a boat with twin engine gas driven outdrive running gear. Web have been running at 6 knots to see if the speed reduction will be a problem. So far the quiet has been well recieved. We have the time. Boating for us is more about the process, the sea and the planning more than the destination.

Ken
Hello Ken, If you are looking at an 80's 'Tung Hwa' Clipper. The decks (and the cabin) are fiberglass over wood core. Here is a link to an original brochure for the Clipper. Not an issue if your decks are sound and you continue to maintain them. Again, good luck in your search. The Clipper gets tons of compliments with its well designed interior and classic lines.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote