California delta on the upcoming Independence Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We where going to try making it out there this year and meet some of you but family stuff and work intruded upon our plans. Post pics of the get together please.

Sorry to hear you won't be making it this time. Hope you can join us on a future rendezvous. We'll have to weed out the incriminating pics, but we'll post what is allowed by the rules. :angel:

Well we are heading the oposite direction for the 4th.....We go to South Beach Marina every year to escape the heat.....but this year.....we will be departing the Antioch area the morning of the 2nd and would like to stay somewhere west of Benicia. Any good ideas? The following morning we will head into SF.

A nice stop over on the way to SF is Vallejo. There are a couple of nice restaurants on the water front and your within reasonable distance to SF for the following day.

The Sardine Can is one of our favorites but not high end at all. They have good Calamari strips.

Vallejo Marina would be a good stopping point. Try to time your arrival with a higher tide (above 2 feet MLLW). The marina doesn't plan to begin dredging until August.

The southern side of K dock has no depth problems for typical motorboat drafts except for a short stretch inside the entrance. With my 3'8" draft, haven't had a problem at MLLW. Lots of room in K dock.

img_91571_0_5887fd10c0496110b97d3f4bf219d8ab.jpg

The shallow part is forward of the under-way ketch.

img_91571_1_fa9459aa345aba57f96ace4a08279e1e.jpg

Sounding a prolonged horn blast entering and exiting the marina isn't frowned upon. Mike, the US Power Squadron official living here, might even compliment you for demonstrating Colreg knowledge.

Last edited:
Our 1983 Grand Banks 42 is currently homeported in Olympia on Budd Inlet in Puget Sound. We are giving thought to relocating to the Delta to be nearer our home in Arizona. Would appreciate thoughts and comments, both positive and negative. Thanks, Mel

Mel,

Welcome to the forum! Great question that's likely to generate significant discussion. Would probably be deserving of its own thread for better exposure.

Personally, I think it's a great idea if you could ever get used to plenty of sunshine and lack of rain while boating. Being an Arizonan, it should be an easy transition. ;-)

To any current Delta boaters, we'll be anchored on Mildred's tomorrow night. If you're in the area, c'mon by and say hi.

Al, where exactly do you anchor on Mildred?

I enter at the NE corner (the point of the original levee failure) and proceed to the west shore about 1/4 mile south of the pilings at the NW end. There is a steady 15 ft depth and good muddy anchorage.

melkowal said:
Our 1983 Grand Banks 42 is currently homeported in Olympia on Budd Inlet in Puget Sound. We are giving thought to relocating to the Delta to be nearer our home in Arizona. Would appreciate thoughts and comments, both positive and negative. Thanks, Mel

I think it could work out well. I'm not sure if you'd want to fly into SFO but there are plenty of flights to AZ. Maybe come check it out. There are some places to stay, like the cabins at B&W, and you could rent a ski or fishing boat at tower park or someplace and check things out before you decide. The marinas are filling up again so you'd have to see if you can find a slip at a marina you like.

Hi again Mel... :D

Linda and I look forward to meeting you and wife some day, in SF Delta - or thereabouts. I clearly recall the extensive PM’s regarding same you and I accomplished a few months ago. Glad to see you becoming active in TF!

From the many helpful boaters here I believe you will find answers to all you desire to learn for the transition of keeping your beloved GB at some location in SF Delta waters... for experiencing super-relaxing boating-fun. Fairly quick access to SF Bay and Pacific points beyond too.

Welcome aboard! :thumb:

Cheers!! Art

Last edited:
Had a great weekend in Mildred's Island. Headed out with best friend Gene on Sat AM. PGirl texted us that she and PGuy were heading out and could make it, and as Gene and I were joining up near Riverboat Marina, PG fell in line and we had us a convoy!

img_91726_0_b1a2f0295a446822e69d66d3b45a068e.jpg

Just as we set the hook, we were pleasantly surprised by the by a 4-ship fly-by of Patriots Jet Team conducting a practice show. They are based in nearby Byron and we were anchored within their practice box. It was a great show that I tried to pass off to the Admiral as something I had pre-arranged. She didn't buy it.

The wind was howling at 20 kts or better throughout Saturday, so that put the brakes on planned watersports, but we still found ways to have fun. It started with Gene dropping anchor a bit close, then having to start up engines to relocate. Only problem was his batteries were killed by a boat detailer 3 weeks ago (long story...) and he only discovered it on Friday. Hoping he had charged them enough for the weekend, he soon found he had dead starts and house banks. Even the genset was not much help. So it's off to Costco via Malibu ski boat and brother-in-law's car for a set of Group 31 starts and 4 GC house batts. Three hrs later, all was well.

Sunday we woke up to the sounds of a Lake Amphibian seaplane practicing takeoffs and landings near us on Mildred Island.

img_91726_1_d92c7a88f4594ccc7c011d51b374b5ec.jpg

It was great to spend some time with Matt and Jennifer on the water. My trial of my cheap refrigerator connected to my cheap inverter went without a hitch. The beer and food stayed cold and the battery loads were well within limits for our house bank, so we're a go for July 4th week!!

Good friends, good food and good drink. Can't wait to do it again next week!!

Attachments

• DSC03197.jpg
    DSC03197.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 78
Looks like you guys had a great trip. Vickie and I will join in from July 2nd through the 5th or 6th. Did you set a stern anchor or just swing from the bow?

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

If one believes in them, the long range forecast for the Fourth of July week are daily-high temperatures of about 100 degrees, or about 10 degrees over the historical average. Quite a change from the cool temps experienced currently. Nights supposedly will cool down into the sixties.

Doesn't appear the Coot's propeller shaft will be fixed by the Fourth.
crying.gif
But hope to see a complete accounting of your adventures.
reading.gif

Looks like you guys had a great trip. Vickie and I will join in from July 2nd through the 5th or 6th. Did you set a stern anchor or just swing from the bow?

Great to hear, Ray. Tell Vickie that Meg will be onboard until July 4 or 5. I'd love for her to stay the whole week...I'm still working on it.

We just swung on the hook without stern anchors. Gene started to drag, so we relocated from between his and PG to allow more toom and let out more of his scope while Gene was on his battery run. Unlike Mandeville, there's no real current in Mildred, so stern anchors are usually used there only by large raftups. Most singles just swing with the wind. In Mandeville, the stern anchor is the norm, especially during the 4th when it gets crowded.

Mark, I'm really disappointed that it doesn't look like you and Perla will be able to make the week. I sure hope your new parts arrive today and get installed immediately.

We had never been to Mildred before so we were happy to have two great guides, Al and Gene, to lead the way and give us pointers! I have some photos on my camera at home that I will upload and post later. It was windy but I don't mind the wind half as much when I am in the Delta as compared to the SF Bay. Prob b'c I am otherwise warm! It did keep it from being too hot, which it sounds like it might be for the fourth. Guess we'll be spending time in the water to keep cool.

Ray, we look forward to seeing you next week!

Here is one photo from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 97
If one believes in them, the long range forecast for the Fourth of July week are daily-high temperatures of about 100 degrees, or about 10 degrees over the historical average. Quite a change from the cool temps experienced currently. Nights supposedly will cool down into the sixties.

Mark I checked weather.com and the worst I see in the forecast is 91 for Tuesday. What forecast are you looking at? I'm sorry to hear your boat won't be fixed yet.

It was nice to have so much space that we only needed the bow anchor. The wind did move us around a fair bit but we had plenty of room from Gene's boat.

Mark I checked weather.com and the worst I see in the forecast is 91 for Tuesday. What forecast are you looking at?

Some weather forecast internet site but I can't seem to recreate my original search done earlier today. Now see the forecast you describe. Whew! if one can believe it.

Some weather forecast internet site but I can't seem to recreate my original search done earlier today. Now see the forecast you describe. Whew! if one can believe it.

ok I'm hoping for the best! Upper 80s to low 90s sounds pretty good compared to 100! :flowers:

Glad to see that everybody is having a summer Boating-Blast! Due to obligations... it currently appears the dates we can come out to boat-play on the Delta are July 5th - 9th. Will be in Stockton area, on the hook or often visiting the mariners and restaurants! Garlic Brothers is a favorite at Village West Marina. Will also visit Tower Park, Windmill Cove and the like!

Happy 4th O' July!! :thumb:

Art & Linda :D :D

Art said:
Glad to see that everybody is having a summer Boating-Blast! Due to obligations... it currently appears the dates we can come out to boat-play on the Delta are July 5th - 9th. Will be in Stockton area, on the hook or often visiting the mariners and restaurants! Garlic Brothers is a favorite at Village West Marina. Will also visit Tower Park, Windmill Cove and the like!

Happy 4th O' July!! :thumb:

Art & Linda :D :D

We are at Three River Reach now through Wednesday or Thursday and we plan to head up to Village West towards the end of the week to fuel up. Maybe we will see you at Garlic Brothers?

So, here I sit at Mandeville Tip anticipating the Fourth of July Fireworks

And here I am awaiting receipt of my replacement propeller shaft segment, last reported in GUANGZHOU China on June 27. Expect to be "underway" mid-July.

Arrrghh! I'm sure it's more frustrating for you than any of us. You and Perla will be missed!

There's always the America's Cup!!

Mark, the joys of the Delta are always waiting for our exploration. When your part arrives and you're ready to go we'll all head up river and join Al and company. The end of July sounds about right!

Thanks, Ray. Sounds good. :)

Mark--- Can they not air ship the shaft to you? Since this is a warranty item and the boat is disabled until it arrives it would seem that the manufacturer has an obligation to get the part to you asap.

Marin, it is being shipped via EMS Worldwide Express Mail Service. Unfortunately, their tracking site doesn't give an estimated delivery date, unlike some other carriers.

Five hours to fire works.... And counting. Enjoying listening toChannel 16 in the meantime. LOL.

Enjoy!

We'll probably watch the Vallejo fireworks tomorrow from the marina-stuck Coot.

img_92620_0_c3bbc07168d8263919bd3d7ca3efbb6a.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom