View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Scary
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Here's what I think

Stability won't be an issue, but you will probably need a davit which will weigh as much or more than the dink. Launching a dingy from a roof in less than dead flat conditions will not be fun or safe. If you can re-think your swim platform and use snap davits I think you will be much happier. I've had both on the same boat and always went to the swim platform dingy first. I think a 14' dingy is not going to work out on a thirty foot boats swim platform because I don't think you have enough beam to protect your dingy from docks and other boats. Unless you plan on fishing or water skiing behind your dink 10' is probably plenty of boat especially if it is a rib. launching from snap davits takes seconds and the snap davits stabilize your dingy when secured to the swim platform. Your ding then can become an added cockpit adding space for wet dogs kids swimming and all kinds of other neat stuff. A fourteen foot dingy is a big boat, do you really need a dingy that large? Fourteen ft is a large boat to row and will need more power to run if you expect to plane it, more weight again. 10-12 ft is probably a better choice.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote