new laptop charting program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Saw this posted on another forum- anyone using it yet?

Looks like it allows integration of AIS and Activecaptain and only $39 and works for mac or PC.

I think most that were running seaclear have switched to OpenCPN. I tried OpenCPN for mac but didn't find it that good on the mac platform so I've been running MacENC for my chartplotting. This one looks interesting though as it seems to incorporate ActiveCaptain.com data.

RE: Polarview. I downloaded it and its a great backup chartplotter. It superimposes all the Active Captain waypoints/anchorages, interfaces to AIS, weather and tides. Free for the first 30 days and then just $40. Worth a look!

In case anyone is interested, the price of PolarView is now $12.99 for up to 5 computers. I just installed the 30-day trial with the ENC charts and it is pretty cool. Then I added the ActiveCaptain POI information and it got better. I'm now installing it on the laptop I use for planning and as a backup plotter. Last step will be to buy it and then add weather information. at least today's rain got me off boat maintenance and onto trip planning!

I've been using OpenCPN but I think it's time for a change. PolarView seems to work more smoothly, the ENC charts display more quickly, and the addition of Active Captain POI data is great. I do miss the measuring tool in OpenCPN.

Dave

Been using Polar View for a while. I won a five load activationnumber from Active Captian last year and I really like it.

I wish my cruising were more adventurous. Both my Garmin chartplotters have routes as far north as mid-Chesapeake, and south to Charleston, with the Neuse, Albemarle, etc in between. Doubt I'd ever need a laptop-based plotter to help. Maybe if we ever decide to head for the Bahamas? Not!:blush::blush::blush:

I looked around on the internet and only found the program for $49.95
where were the lower prices found?
thanks,
Steve W

Bought the app but having trouble loading? Any suggestions, when I open the app just get a screen with the US and when yo zoom in, no charts--nothing:banghead:

DT

Yes the green map threw me too. The problem is that you don't have any maps loaded - they only cost $39.95.... each.:rofl:

However the FREE ones are here Chart Downloader for NOAA ENC® . I did my two regions, but you can do it by state or district.

Download the zip file and then create a directory somewhere and unzip (extract) the maps into it. If you do multiple districts or states some files will want to overwrite the other map - click yes to all. Next go into PolarView and under File Manager click Chart Manager. When this window opens click the Add Directory button and navigate to where you extracted the files and click OK. As I recall this will cause an automatic rebuild of the map database. When this finishes just close the Chart Manager window and you should have maps.

If you use a GPS puck you should also download the free PolarCom program. This handles all the GPS functions and gives you things like an Anchor Alarm.

The other tricky thing (for me anyway) was getting the ActiveCaptain POI info. Go to File->POI Manager then click the configure tab and enter your Active Captain email and password and click login. Then another tab there has a place to click to get the data from their web site. If you want to view the data just right-mouse on an AC icon like a green anchor for an anchorage and click Chart Information and then the POI tab and you will see all the information on the AC web site.

Dave

Last edited:
Had this downloaded as a free trial for over a year (or whenever Panbo first reviewed it). Thanks for the reminder. I just did the update and will compare and contrast with Coastal Explorer Express this year.

Program is 12.99 on special today. Chart pac (for the US) is 19.99.

DT, It sounds as if don't have any charts loaded. Do you have charts in your chart manager?

Yes, but find it just too much if you try to do this underway--Navionics has spoiled me?

Thanks

DT

Yes, but find it just too much if you try to do this underway--Navionics has spoiled me?

Thanks

DT
Well all you need to do is create a new folder, extract the maps to the folder, and go to File->Chart Manager and do a Add Directory and browse to the new directory to add them. I figured this out in a few minutes and I still can't figure out which C-map NT I need in order to update my Furuno! :banghead:

Dave

Back
Top Bottom