Amateur Backyard Boat Yard - How we roll!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anode

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V Scout
Vessel Make
Sundowner Tug 30'
Gen set install out on the farm!

The previous owner of Scout bought this Mase 2700 watt gen set and never finished the install. It was in his garage and it was part of the deal when we bought the boat. Last fall I ran it on the bench and checked it out. Perfect. It's a single cylinder Yanmar water cooled diesel. The hour meter showed 3 hours. The decision was made...this baby is going in the boat. But not until everything else is in.

Today was the day. My son Austin was home from Germany and I needed the muscle. He's no boat expert but he does have over 3 years in the Bering Sea, an Opilio Crap season under his belt, a couple of years in the Baltic Sea, North Atlantic, deliveries in the Caribbean, a Captains license and a Master's Degree.(Can you tell I'm proud?).

But today I mostly needed his muscle.

Julie was there to help as always. She's no expert, strictly an amateur with a PHD. (Can you tell I'm proud?). Julie has put in hundreds of hours on the boat project.

You can't build a boat in your backyard without a tractor. Thank you God for inventing tractors. I will say that even though I'm an amateur backyard boat builder I probably have professional status as a tractor operator. I confess, I have been paid for running tractors.

The install went great. It's all hooked up and I'm going to run it again tomorrow.

Not bad for a bunch of amateur backyard boat builders!

Attachments

• SDC10598.jpg
    SDC10598.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 256
  • SDC10599.jpg
    SDC10599.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 247
  • SDC10601.jpg
    SDC10601.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 273
  • SDC10603.jpg
    SDC10603.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 269
Good install.That's gonna be one clean well organized engine room.

If I could afford ya, I'd let ya build me a little dream machine any day. If I haven't said it before you have done a stunning job on Scout. Great blog too.

If I ever need to be operated on... I will ask the operation be performed in the cleanness of your engine room! :socool:

Been following your boat restoration for some time. You and Julie get my vote as the most thorough and pleased boat lovers! :flowers:

Congrats on all you and Julie have accomplished. :thumb:

Cheers! Art

Another reason I can give my wife about why we need a tractor.
Nice boat too!

WOW nice looks like an operating room, Ill not show photos of mine!

All systems have been checked out and passed the ABBY standards. The trucker is scheduled to be here next Monday morning.
Down to some small details.....and moving the building.
Thanks everyone for all of the positive feedback!

Attachments

• SDC10614 (Small).JPG
    SDC10614 (Small).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 243
Looking good!

All systems have been checked out and passed the ABBY standards. The trucker is scheduled to be here next Monday morning.
Down to some small details.....and moving the building.
Thanks everyone for all of the positive feedback!

:thumb: :dance:

Greetings,
Excellent! Monday morning? That's over three days away....Atta boy Mr. Anode. Nerves of steel this man has I tell ya!

thumbnail.aspx

Had to put my shades on for both the engine compartment and to look at her butt! Excellent Job!! :socool:

Backyard Amateur Boat Builders???? Wow excellent workmanship! Look forward to the launch photos.

She is now a new boat. Better than you could buy.
And you know her from stem to stern,top to bottom and port to starboard and every system in her.

Congradulations.:thumb:

I am not worthy.

Sd

The building came down today after four years.

Attachments

• SDC10660 (Small).JPG
    SDC10660 (Small).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 218
  • SDC10661 (Small).JPG
    SDC10661 (Small).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 211
  • SDC10662 (Small).JPG
    SDC10662 (Small).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 219
  • SDC10664 (Small).JPG
    SDC10664 (Small).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 222
  • SDC10666 (Small).JPG
    SDC10666 (Small).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 253
That is one fine looking boat.

Chip, you are amazing.. good on you bud. I would have wanted to take it out each year to test out what I had done thus far :nonono: haha. You my man have the patience of Job..

Great craftsmanship :oldman:

Elwin

Love the boat but I kinda want to play with the tractor!

Is there a ford 120 in that tractor? I'm happy to share new sanitation hose with such a fine looking vessel.

Thanks guys! My anxiety level is pretty high right now.
Steve - I think that makes Lilli Belle and Scout cousins. At least it does here in Missourah.
Tractors and boats are good for the soul.

Good luck on the launch!

Thanks guys! My anxiety level is pretty high right now.
Steve - I think that makes Lilli Belle and Scout cousins. At least it does here in Missourah.
Tractors and boats are good for the soul.

Chip,

What are you doing posting here? Shouldn't you be launching and taking pictures?

My anxiety level is pretty high right now.

Relax, the work looks good from here.

And, when you fire up that one-lung generator the vibrations will treat your whole body as if it were on one of those foot massager things.

Truly a rare person, pure breed perfectionist with the skills to back it back up! Excellent work, Chip, and I really enjoyed seeing the progression of Scout on your website.

Bon voyage and good luck, although luck won't have anything to do with it.

Best of luck on the launch...

I did the same thing on Friday!

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20120622105132508.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20120622105132508.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 196
After working all morning and getting the trailer under Scout I wasn't happy with the load distribution. So...I pulled the plug and sent the trucker home.
We're all kinda bummed at the moment but working on Plan B and C.

Anode said:
After working all morning and getting the trailer under Scout I wasn't happy with the load distribution. So...I pulled the plug and sent the trucker home.

Bummer for sure but a prudent move indeed. Now is not the time to rush into something you're not completely comfortable with.

If Scout has proven anything, it has proven you are a resourceful and intelligent man that puts his thoughts into action.

Don’t be bummed... but rather be exhilarated... that you made the correct decision for BEST protection of your BABY! :thumb:

Can hardly wait to see picts of her glorious SPLASH! :flowers:

Art :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom