back on the water....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
June 7th we got our Bayliner 4550 back on the water! Major storm repair work finally done! Our trawler is still being worked on up river about 70 miles away but it is good to have our "new" boat back on the water after 5-6 weeks on the hard. I spent the last 12 days aboard doing more work to her- had to run wiring through our new arch I installed, working with electronics guy to get things up and running again and installed on the arch, finish sanding the varnish and putting down 4 coats (hope to do 6 more ASAP!), organizing, cleaning, etc. She is starting to come together. Still need new bimini, etc. but man did it feel GOOD to be back on the water for something other than sea trialing someone else's boat we were selling.
They had the big annual Riverbend festival in downtown Chatt so we went to that and anchored out for a night and then anchored out a few other nights around the river, spent fathers day up there, etc. etc. Generally...enjoying life! Some pics....
Anchored out in one of our favorite coves:
img_91080_0_f6ae29d755b069896758564847efa2c5.jpg

img_91080_1_a31687c7da97bf7e554c0704ebe197fc.jpg

img_91080_2_26ddebe85968a4f29f698bc2739c9817.jpg

The new varnish (tape at edging still visible lol):
img_91080_3_90fa0c3be8bd1370e5ca63e4ca6082ce.jpg

img_91080_4_06edefc1291598a1a157ac78e842f62f.jpg

Compared to how the teak USED to look:
img_91080_5_311a818cbbfc836f121add08ecdfd0da.jpg

Anchored in downtown Chatt for Riverbend:
img_91081_0_cbb3e44208c9e52e0f4d7d7ff2f3d786.jpg

Dawn at riverbend:
img_91081_1_a3828eba13971a89c228a7ac85fc3247.jpg

Docked at a local waterside restaurant for father's day lunch:
img_91081_2_eb52f6a82d2f0f3580549424f3bdf298.jpg

And a video from one of our anchorages in the morning (turn up your volume to hear the happy little birdies chirping):
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v255/livinglite/?action=view¤t=IMG_5600.mp4

Also been redoing some of the interior soft goods, etc. which is coming along nicely. Entire boat from waterline up was compounded and waxed as well so she is looking pretty darn good. So happy to be back on the water. Once my Monk is fixed back up I have a proper fleet again. :)

Great, Tony. She's looking good. Maybe I'll get to see it when I get home. Missed Riverbend this year. You can almost see my town house from your boat anchored in front of the Aquarium.

By the way, did you have any trouble getting your anchor to set on that limestone bottom. I have seen many boats dragging down the river. The current should not have been too bad since the river has had low flows.

I'm glad that fine family of yours will get to enjoy the rest of the boating season.

Wonderful to see you back slapping the waves again, Tony!! She looks great. I like the new radar arch and the rails look perfect! Did you straighten or replace?

Love the brightwork...looks like Epifanes to me!! What a world of difference. There is just no substitute for good old fashioned top-quality marine varnish.

Looks like the kids are making the best of the higher freeboard. Great post and welcome back to the wet side!!

Lookin' smart!

Yay!!!!!

Thanks all- it is VERY good to be back on the water!
Don- believe it or not we got the danforth on the boat set on the very first try which was miraculous! My friend and broker that works with me was down there on their 48 Jefferson and he is a diver so after I got it set he hoped in the water and double checked the anchor and she held fast for the 2 days we were down there, unlike the yahoo in the 30' sea ray who dragged into my anchor rhode and almost crashed into my boat! :)

Al- you are correct- Epifanes is what I ended up going with, the "wood finish" product to be specific. I used it on my trawler and like it's simplicity. Almost went with bristol but ended up sticking with Epifanes. Bow rail was custom fabricated by a guy who came up from FL and set up a temporary shop. They did a good job! Getting her new name put on the transom this week and meeting bimini and eisenglass guy this weekend. We had a lot of fun cruising on the river this past week. I am unfortunately down in Atlanta this week due to work but ready to get back up on the boat.

the kids love the high freeboard and really love jumping off the flybridge! We had new guests on the boat this week as well- my daughter brought her 2 hamsters up so they hung out in her stateroom...couldn't tell if they liked boating or not. :)

Attachments

• jumping.jpg
    jumping.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
Congratulations on getting back on the water. My brother in law's pontoon was caught in that same tornado at Island Cove and is now scrap.

We used to anchor our sailboat for Riverbend and never had issues with it holding. The problems for us were 1) sailing on the anchor in a strong current because of the fixed keel and spade rudder, and 2) drunks piloting houseboats. I once saw a 50+ foot houseboat pinwheel through a lot of boats anchored behind the Coca Cola stage. Missed us, but others weren't so lucky.

I'm so glad to see you back in action! Those were some scary pictures from after that storm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom