mercerator pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunvale

I have for the past several days pulled up floors from all portions of my IG 36 searching for the discharge seacock that would allow sewage to be pumped into the water. I found none. The clear hose from the holding tank that goes to the pump goes to the pump out hose that the Marina uses. Is it possible that the boat was build without the option of having the stuff pumped into the sea?
I sure would like to pass the Coat Guard inspection and would like to not get a citation for not having the option locked out.
Peter

Sunvale last summer i was borded in Fla waters , they didnt even look at the lock out on the Y valve, they dropped a die packet in each head and flushed it, then stood on the decks and watched to see it it appeared around the boat, When nothing shows up they thanked me and left.They said there were so many ways to bypass the lock out they started using the die its a tell tail for sure.

Quick, someone alert the EPA that the Coast Guard are dumping "dangerous chemicals" into the bay!
Steve W

I have for the past several days pulled up floors from all portions of my IG 36 searching for the discharge seacock that would allow sewage to be pumped into the water. I found none. The clear hose from the holding tank that goes to the pump goes to the pump out hose that the Marina uses. Is it possible that the boat was build without the option of having the stuff pumped into the sea?

It is quite possible that your boat was built without an overboard discharge option.

Is there a circuit breaker and/or switch labeled "Macerator" or "Overboard Discharge"? Can you see the holding tank? If so, follow the hose or hoses leading from the bottom of the tank. You could have two hoses, one leading to the deck pumpout fitting and the other leading to a macerator pump, you could have one hose leading to a "Y" valve and from there to the pumpout fitting and the pump, or you could have just the one hose leading to the deck fitting.

If you can't figure this out yourself, ask a more experienced boater or a boat mechanic to look at your boat and determine how it is configured.

BTW: If you have clear hoses, they are not the proper sanitary hoses. Sanitation hose is usually white or black.

I have a switch in the panel that indicates holding tank pump. When I trip it, the pump runs just fine. However, there is no Y anywhere but there is an elbow that runs in the direction of the shore station pump hose up to the deck.
I need to correct the color on the hoses. They have a spiral reinforcement wire in them and are of a white translucent color.
I took a series of pictures for the Coasties to look at. The pictures show that the pump directs the sanitary fluid up to the deck pump out station.
Had I known all the problems with the boat, I would have opted for a horse of a couple of goats.

I have a switch in the panel that indicates holding tank pump. When I trip it, the pump runs just fine. However, there is no Y anywhere but there is an elbow that runs in the direction of the shore station pump hose up to the deck.
I need to correct the color on the hoses. They have a spiral reinforcement wire in them and are of a white translucent color.
I took a series of pictures for the Coasties to look at. The pictures show that the pump directs the sanitary fluid up to the deck pump out station.
Had I known all the problems with the boat, I would have opted for a horse of a couple of goats.

If you have a pump feeding the deck fitting, you have an owner modified (screwed up) boat! The marina or pumpout boat sucks the contents of the tank out. If you have a pump connected to the deck fitting and turn it on with the cap removed, you will spray raw sevage all over the place. :eek:

I suggest having someone familiar with boat plumbing inspect your boat and make any corrections necessary.

If your holding tank has two pickups, you don't need a Y valve to pump overboard. Check the top of your holding tank, if you have 3 hoses each 1 1/4" one is probably a direct discharge hose, one a pump out hose and the other is the fill hose.

Only have 2 hoses from the tank. The boat previously has been given safety inspection stickers in IL and they must have seen and found the same thing that I did. No discharge into the fine Great Lakes waters. I spend several hours checking and while I ran the wires for the CO detector I took a lot of pictures. I hope they will be satisfied.

Only have 2 hoses from the tank. The boat previously has been given safety inspection stickers in IL and they must have seen and found the same thing that I did. No discharge into the fine Great Lakes waters. I spend several hours checking and while I ran the wires for the CO detector I took a lot of pictures. I hope they will be satisfied.
1) A safety inspection has nothing to do with your holding tank or discharge.

2) I doubt an inspector or LEO will want to look at pictures of your holding tank.

3) If you turn the macerator switch on and hear it running, you need to find what it's connected to.

I'm going to suggest this one more time:

I suggest having someone familiar with boat plumbing inspect your boat and make any corrections necessary.

Nobody can inspect your boat on the Internet.

I don't know the make and model of your boat.A lot of boats I have dealt with did not have an overboard discharge.The manufactures know the legalities of having sewage discharged overboard and elect to eliminate the cost of having them.In place there is usually a macerator pump to send the waste to a holding tank.

macerator

I think in my boat that is the case. It's frustrating to look for something that does not exist.
Thanks to all the list members for all your help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom