View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
botemon
Veteran Member

Tight "Westerbroke" Genny

Hey Folks,
*** Well Im a little*PMS'y today. For some reason my genny would not turn over. Locked up tighter than $hit. I have not had a reason to run it in about 4 months. Before that I ran it regularly every day for months until we parked the boat to wait out the H-season. Today I took the head off to see whats up. To my surprise there was sea water sitting on top of the pistons. The salt was crystallizing. The underside of the head was rusty, although all the valves open and close (not stuck) but are rusty on the bottoms. I think I can have the head re-worked someplace and the valves ground, new bushings bla, bla, bla. Unfortunately I am going to have to pull this sucker. 12.5 KW worth of anchor weight. I can re-build it myself except for the head I was just not expecting this esp when we are leaving out December 1.
*** Head gasket looked ok, at least I did not see any sign of water breaching the gasket anywhere.
*So.How did sea water get in there? I think I heard of a way, someplace, sometime, but my photographic memory is out of film!

Thanks.....I guess*
Ken
botemon is offline   Reply With Quote