Point pleasant canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Takeitesea

Veteran Member
Has anyone gone through the Point Pleasant Canal?
I will be going through with a single screw. Any suggestions would bebhelpful.

Lots of times....any issue in general you are worried about?

I would try and go through with a foul tide if you need the bridges to open.

Point Pleasant Canal

What is the clearance of the bridges on the Point Pleasant canal?

Do you have a chart of the area?

No problem going through the Point Pleasant Canal. Narrow, but pretty straight and deep. There can be a strong current running, which could be favorable or unfavorable depending upon your direction. Outside the canal both north and south, the turns in the channel bear watching and there is very shallow water outside the markers; and its not real deep even within the markers.

Colony Cove

Thank you for the information.
This kind of response is helpful and helps keep the Forum what it should be!

Colony Cove

Thank you for the information.
This kind of response is helpful and helps keep the Forum what it should be!

If that comment was directed at me...I asked if you could be a bit more specific of what you are concerned about.:socool:

Otherwise every post may look just like a copy of the Coast Pilot.:eek:

As for bridge clearances..they are on a chart you would be using to pass that way...which I would have hoped you already glanced at...if not...they are easily found on the internet as most people don't have them memorized unless they boat there every day (even then most couldn't quote the exact clearance). So asking for that info requires someone to look it up...your trip...not mine..:D

Here is about the best advise I can offer. Transit at slack water, Barnegat Bay tide is about 1 foot and Manasquan Inlet is about 4 feet. Before entering canal, call VHF 13 to the bridge tender at the Rt. 88 Lift Bridge and get current conditions and that means condition of the current.

Weekend and holiday traffic is bad. You have limited room for maneuvering especially at 2 bridges:
Bridge Ave. - 30-ft clearance
Rt. 88 - 31-ft clearance
Wind can affect slack water and the best time to transit is slack high. Exit channel depth will be about 5 feet . Hope this helps. Chuck

Sounds like an interesting destination.I am off to research this some more.

Point Pleasant Canal

Cap'n Chuck

Thanks for the advice! I feel much more comfortable doing the trip.
Never been there and new boat!

Back
Top Bottom