Upgrading forward hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeybadger

Vessel Name
HoneyBadger
Vessel Make
1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
My Forward hatch at one time when she was a shrimp boat was a wooden box, at some point replaced with something that was salvaged off what ever. I wanted something more attractive than some painted ill fitting and not all that.

Attachments

• 100_4597.jpg
    100_4597.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_4593.jpg
    100_4593.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_4595.jpg
    100_4595.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_4598.jpg
    100_4598.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_4599.jpg
    100_4599.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 63
Natural lighting in the forward cabin is good. My hatch isn't as aesthetic as yours. It hasn't leaked, yet.

img_90679_0_5f270753796527b608030903eb28784d.jpg

It has a Hinge across the top " non functional " just for looks, I framed it then marked how i wanted the glass to fit in, Took it back apart used the shaper to cut the groves for the glass, Put it back together, set the 1/2inch smoked lexan in clear marine grade sealant, The top of the lexan is cut a 15 deg, so they make a good joint. the cover pieces are 1 1/4 inches X 1/2 inch . Then bottom piece on each side have a weep hole 3/4 inch X 1/4 inch to let the water out, It will tilt up same as the original but give some light and better look. 6 hours well spent, The lexan was a used door off of a foo foo boat, the Mahogany were scraps from the boat yard, call me cheap :)

I don't know about the hinge.
To me it is just something to rust and stain things. how about a strip of wood cut to fit the angle's.
Otherwise first rate job.

SD

Skipper i cut one with the same angle but it just didnt look the same, Saved it in my shop of that piece causes any issues i have a cap piece already cut thats one piece and 1/2 inch thick i can replace it asap. Today Bilge painting, Oh joy !

Thanks.

Is that piano hinge stainless?

I didn't mean to critize you work. I fight a constant battle with rust stains.

The P.O on my boat didn't seem to know what stainless steel was.

I have been replacing screws nuts and bolts for years.:banghead:

I am a functional kind of guy. Just not fond of decorative items. To me it has to perform a function or why have it.

I have enough things that can give me problems.:banghead:

SD

Yea i totally understand its all stainless , or Bronze on this boat anything else goes in the trash can, It hope that its a decorative piece but it it ever starts to stain ill unscrew it, Put the cap i already have built and call it a day, Had the less glorious job today painting the bilge :( Somebody has to do it !

Nicely done. I need to get back to my rebuild - yet another unfinished project!

Attachments

• Doghouse.jpg
    Doghouse.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 73
Very nice i thought about some stainless 3/4 tube i have but my windows are so small i was worried about over powering the look .

Back
Top Bottom