Fuel Crisis boat trend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No sweat, Martin. Welcome aboard!!!

Folks looking for a roomaran should consider an ex work boat.

Cheap and big.

www.oceanmarine.com lists a 100ft crew boat cert for 149pax for $285K.

Should have a roomy feeling aboard.

FF

Yup... quite roomy. Well just toss you a line and you can tow us around, since we won't be able to find anyplace to dock it.

"Well just toss you a line and you can tow us around, "

Not Me , I learned bigger is Never better, if I want that much room a house is more suitable.

Our current boat is a 50 Uniflite , but a custom 39ft er is slowly in the works.

Comfort , safety , stability or cruse ability are NOT size related.

Only if you have a desperate need to go Bowling underway , is a big roomaran useful.

My boats* never require a dock for anything but dink access to a resturant at times , for She who Must be Obeyed!

Its all in the design and outfitting , systems selected, and operating techniques.
biggrin.gif

FF

-- Edited by FF at 05:47, 2008-05-05

FF wrote: "Comfort, safety, stability or cruise ability are NOT size related."

At 67 years old and having 8 boats in the last 15 years, I have found that the above statement is absolutely TRUE! You must interpret each word in that statement LITERALLY. My largest boat was a 54' Sport Fisher. My BEST boat is a 32' Trawler.
thumbsup.gif

I am looking for a diesel survey and pressure test for leaks on tanks in the Santa Cruz area. Anybody have any referals?

Personally I think the trend of boats with larger engines will continue.

That because if you can afford a new boat you probably work very hard and don't have the time to go anywhere in a slow boat.

At least you don't THINK you have the time.

Those same boats will probably for the most part be driven at hull speeds mostly because boats are generally less comfortable up on plane. Also because it only takes a few $1500 fuel bill weekends to tame all but the richest new captains

My Bayliner 4788 ( :) to the OP) can cruise at 15 knots, but in any kind of sea, the boat is not as comfortable. The movement is sharper, more like a speedboat, less like a comfortable yacht. It is also expensive to cruise at .7 NMPG when you can have the ability to cruise at 1.5 NMPG and be more comfortable.

With the emphasis on "think" above Kevin... I believe most people perceive that they do not have the time to slow down.

I have recently felt more compelled to believe that true wealth is being able to afford the extra time. An extra day or more away from work? Not a problem... I can afford it.

That logic allows me to 'afford' to run at trawler speeds. I still get there the same day a planing boat does, but I arrive with more money in my pocket. :)

On a trip if kids are on board they get board fast nothing to do at 7 knts.

Me I love a slow boat ride. Just cruising and looking.

I always fish on the high and low tides so every 6 hours or so. If I miss the low I just fish the high.

The young have no time to waste.

sd

It's the difference in wealth and riches to me.

I work hard. I've planned well and I enjoy what that provides me. One of the 'wealths' I feel I have is the freedom to own my time to an extent. My time is one of the many riches I realize the value of now.

The fact that I can 'Afford to go slow...' is something I'm training myself to appreciate. It's a paradigm we all need to evaluate at some point in our life.

We would love to be able to get to our destination at 15 or 20 or even 30 knots. While my wife is more tolerant of it than I am, I very much dislike plodding along at 8 knots. But economics dictate that a faster boat will have to wait until some time in the future if it arrives at all.

We would love to go faster so as to arrive at our destinations earlier and thus have more time to spend fishing or crabbing or exploring or whatever. A faster boat would give us a much greater variety of destinations for our short weekend trips. I also much prefer operating a fast boat to a slow one. Our Arima does 30mph in the right water conditions and this is an ideal speed as far as I'm concerned. Fast enough to get somewhere but slow enough to observe and enjoy everything around us.

While retirement is still aways off I don't prefer speed because I'm busy, busy, busy. I just don't like going slow, and I have better things to do with my time than plod along at a Jurassic 8 knots.

I have to say that my current boat cruises at 15kts(at 6gph thank you) and I have got used to it. Like Marin said, it is nice to be able to expand your cruising area...even if it is only for a day. My next boat will have the same capability....just a bit bigger.

With the emphasis on "think" above Kevin... I believe most people perceive that they do not have the time to slow down.

I have recently felt more compelled to believe that true wealth is being able to afford the extra time. An extra day or more away from work? Not a problem... I can afford it.

That logic allows me to 'afford' to run at trawler speeds. I still get there the same day a planing boat does, but I arrive with more money in my pocket. :)

I completely agree.

Accross the lake from us, someone built a very nice new home a few years ago. Very nice, very expensive. Probably $500K+ invested.

The problem is the guy is never there. He'll show up once or twice for a summer, play with his kids then be gone again.

Clearly he works so much he does not have time for "life"

I'm taking most of the summer off unpaid. I do it every year. After buying the new boat and the refit I should probably stay and work. But I'm taking off anyway because how much time do you get? How many summers do you get? If for some reason this is my last summer, it will have been a blast.

Last edited:
We would love to go faster so as to arrive at our destinations earlier and thus have more time to spend fishing or crabbing or exploring or whatever.

See... we differ there. I believe that forcing myself to afford the time on the boat gives me that time.

Why rush? Take another day of vacation and crab on the Sunday evening while everyone else is rushing to get home so they can sit in traffic bright and early Monday morning.

... and I have better things to do with my time than plod along at a Jurassic 8 knots.

Too funny coming from the guy with the '78 Grand Banks in their profile picture. My last boat burned more fuel on plane on trip to the Islands than I make in salary for the day. By slowing down... I can afford to take the extra time.

It's a all trade... we get the same quantity of life in average... we just trade our time for different things.

Our life's energy is our allotment of time here on earth, the hours of precious life available to each of us. When we go to our jobs and complain about not having enough time we are trading our life energy for money. This truth, while simple, is very profound.

If for some reason this is my last summer, it will have been a blast.

And if it's not... there's always next summer to plan for. :)

You're on the right track Kevin. Life is indeed very short.

Anyone else notice that this resurected thread is more than 4 years old?

Interesting to see how the 2008 predictions worked out...I think it's safe to say that the "high end" has endured a contraction as well!

SomeSailor, you have started a good and thought provoking thread. As I sit here on a mooring ball in Hope Town Harbor, Abaco I see all kinds of boats. There is a Nordhvn, a couple of Krogens, a couple of 390 Mainships, other trawlers, and sail boats galore.

Moonstruck is the only downeast style express boat in the harbor. We started to anchor behind Matt Lowes Cay, but the wind shifted. It is supposed to shift again. I thought that I may not awaken to check the anchor set on the wind shift, so headed to a mooring ball.

We started this cruise on May 28th. When it will end, I'm not certain. However, we go where everyone else down here goes. We anchor, and hang out just like they do. We have a little soft music of some of my favorite mix going now. No generator running. We are running off the inverter.

Sometimes, I think about a Krogen or Selene 48. I wouldn't really go anywhere Moonstruck can't take me. Maybe some more comfort, but a whole lot less speed. For right now, I am happy where I am. 1 mpg at 27 knots is not too shabby.. Slowing down to 7 1/2 to 8 knots gets more, and we do that on short hops between Cays. After the dinghy comes up, the speed will pick up----exponentially. Looks like Moonstruck is a keeper.:dance:

By the way, I just noticed that the avatar picture was made where we are.

Last edited:
I'm happy moving at seven knots: don't go boating to get anywhere fast. The journey is the adventure. The destination is an anticlimax. ... Hope everyone finds their current boat was a good choice.

img_90645_0_9dbd52685a55d76a9f0497c00333f4bc.jpg

Too funny coming from the guy with the '78 Grand Banks in their profile picture.

1973, thank you very much. Major big difference between a GB 73-74 hull and all the hulls that came after.

We have a slow, plodding boat for economic reasons, not because we like going slow. While we have better things to do with our time that creeping along at eight knots, we have even better things to do with our money than blasting along at thirty.

It's only money... I can get more of that.

Ever feed a deHavilland Beaver at the same time you're feeding your boat? :)

Worse. I fed a Bell 206 to get my turbine type rating on an E5 paycheck when on active duty. :)

Could never own one, but buying time was worth it at that age.

At about 6 knots on single screw our 34' tri cabin Tolly gets near 3 nmpg. With twins running at 7.5 knots she gets about 2 nmpg. At 16 to 17 knots on full plane we're getting 1 nmpg. Fuel-usage affordability, comfort galore, good sea keeping capability, and sound construction... we really do appreciate our Tollycraft! Just what we want/need at this stage of life. :smitten:

It's only money... I can get more of that.

For most people it's either one or the other....if they are making money they aren't cruising...and if they are cruising then they are burning up the money at an alarming rate if the boat isn't economical.

For most people it's either one or the other....if they are making money they aren't cruising...and if they are cruising then they are burning up the money at an alarming rate if the boat isn't economical.

Hence the trawler. I can't burn a day's income of fuel in a week. I can't eat a day's income in a month. Two days income pays a month of moorage. One more day pays for the other bills and off I go. :)

The boat's paid for... the house and vehicles paid for. Time to go prep the boat for the weekend. :)

Has this post degenerated into the slow vs fast debate?

As a go fast owner my preference is to have the choice to go fast if desired but have the option to conserve fuel by slowing down. My planing hull boat only really operates at 3 speeds, fast at 18+ knots and 1 mpg, slow at 8-9 knots on two engines at 1.75 mpg, or single engine at 7 knots at almost 3 mpg. Obviously if we're going slow we're on one engine.

Having a choice is nice-very nice. We recently returned from 3 weeks in the Bahamas and being able to cross the Gulf stream and be at West End of Grand Bahama Island in 3 and half hours was worth ever penny vs taking 9 hours in a displacement hull boat. This gave us the option to continue on to the Abacos the same day or enjoy the marina at West End the rest of the day. Options not available in a displacement boat.

But in perhaps 90% of our cruising experience, going slow the entire way would still get us to our destination the same day versus going fast with considerable fuel savings. Going fast just lets us enjoy the destination a bit more, which probably for most of us is at least a part of why we're boating, or at least cruising.

In practice we do a combination of slow and fast averaging out to about 1.55 mpg. It is sometimes difficult to maintain the slow speed knowing that we could be there within the hour versus taking another 3 hours.

Has this post degenerated into the slow vs fast debate?

I don't like to think it's "Degenerated" into anything. We're all adults.

I was simply giving perspective on how I personally have chosen to change my thinking on time and money (and the way it applies to my boating).

I choose to own a trawler. That has certain virtues, it has certain detriments. If you want a slow comfortable, economical cruise... they excel. If you are in a hurry, your choices become more limited.

I feel my time is getting more valuable as each day goes by. If I were in a hurry to be somewhere else... I'd take a plane or drive.

I hurry to get ON the water... not to get OFF at the next destination. :)

My goal for retirement was to slow life down, and I have. I never drive over 55mph, my boat will go 30 but never sees anything above 8 mph. Waiting for my turn is an opportunity to ponder. I refuse to be in a hurry...it's a choice. If you can learn to enjoy a slow pace, there won't be unwanted empty spaces in your life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom