Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What annoys me are the "No Wake" signs put up by individuals who have no authority to do so. Some have coppied the official signs so you don't really know if yo are violating a real No Wake zone or just someone's make believe one. Compare this to a homeowner putting up speed limit signs in front of his/her house.

A typical trawler a seven knots does create a wake. Not like a sport fish at 30 MPH, but it's a big enough wake to be a violation.

As for posting actual speed limits in miles per hour, would that limit be "over water" or "over ground"? With out GPS systems, we can measure speed over ground, but I've never seen a boat speedometer that can measure 6 MPH over water.

Personally, I try to obey the laws and I try to be courtious, but once in a while, I'll miss a sign because I'm concentrationg on something else. A couple of times, I have found myself going too fast through a drawbridge so other boats can pass in the other direction or so the bridge can be lowered for auto traffic. I have to learn to forget about other folks and take my own sweet time.
At least North Carolina seems to be on top of it as they had it on several of their web sites (easy to find!)

Is it Legal? Is it Enforceable?
Enforcement of No Wake Zones is limited to those areas that have been established by federal and state rulemaking or legislation and that are properly marked. No Wake Zones must display regulatory signs or buoys that conform to the standards of the U.S. Aids to Navigation (ATONS). A No Wake marker that does not conform to US ATONS standards or that has been placed in public trust waters without authorization is subject to removal. An unmarked No Wake Zone is not enforceable.
The Wildlife Resources Commission does not purchase or maintain No Wake markers. However, our Engineering Services Division can provide technical assistance regarding marker purchase and placement.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote