Boating speed limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good friend of mine has a son that does king mackeral fishing tournaments. While moving his boat from Jacksonville, NC to Morehead City for a tournament, he was south of South Port in the narrow ICW. A couple of kids on jet skis came out to "play" in the wake. They were very annoying, and ignored being asked to stop. There was a video camera on board, and the operator had the presence of mind to ask someone to start recording the antics. While being video taped, one of the jet skis zipped past on the starboard side of the overtaken vessel. The turn was misjudged or operator error, and the jet ski hit the bow of the overtaken boat. The result was a fatality and a resulting law suit.

It was a very long process, but luckily the defendant was a good lawyer who was one of the top of his class at Duke University. The complainants claimed a crossing situation. Of course it was actually overtaking, and the video proved it. Had it not been for the video the case could have been lost. Also, negligent homicide could have been charged.

When this situation comes up, I just stop dead in the water until they go away. I do not want the expense and trouble of paying someone for their own stupidity.

By the way the boat operator lost his taste for boating.

A good friend of mine has a son that does king mackeral fishing tournaments. While moving his boat from Jacksonville, NC to Morehead City for a tournament, he was south of South Port in the narrow ICW. A couple of kids on jet skis came out to "play" in the wake. They were very annoying, and ignored being asked to stop. There was a video camera on board, and the operator had the presence of mind to ask someone to start recording the antics. While being video taped, one of the jet skis zipped past on the starboard side of the overtaken vessel. The turn was misjudged or operator error, and the jet ski hit the bow of the overtaken boat. The result was a fatality and a resulting law suit.

It was a very long process, but luckily the defendant was a good lawyer who was one of the top of his class at Duke University. The complainants claimed a crossing situation. Of course it was actually overtaking, and the video proved it. Had it not been for the video the case could have been lost. Also, negligent homicide could have been charged.

When this situation comes up, I just stop dead in the water until they go away. I do not want the expense and trouble of paying someone for their own stupidity.

By the way the boat operator lost his taste for boating.

I truly feel sorry for the guys that got drug into the mud by a couple of knuckleheads. I have heard similar tales of jerk boaters without a clue being just as much of a problem.

Me...I wouldn't give up boating...I'd increase my skeetshooting practice..:eek:

What annoys me are the "No Wake" signs put up by individuals who have no authority to do so. Some have coppied the official signs so you don't really know if yo are violating a real No Wake zone or just someone's make believe one. Compare this to a homeowner putting up speed limit signs in front of his/her house.

A typical trawler a seven knots does create a wake. Not like a sport fish at 30 MPH, but it's a big enough wake to be a violation.

As for posting actual speed limits in miles per hour, would that limit be "over water" or "over ground"? With out GPS systems, we can measure speed over ground, but I've never seen a boat speedometer that can measure 6 MPH over water.

Personally, I try to obey the laws and I try to be courtious, but once in a while, I'll miss a sign because I'm concentrationg on something else. A couple of times, I have found myself going too fast through a drawbridge so other boats can pass in the other direction or so the bridge can be lowered for auto traffic. I have to learn to forget about other folks and take my own sweet time.

At least North Carolina seems to be on top of it as they had it on several of their web sites (easy to find!)

Is it Legal? Is it Enforceable?
Enforcement of No Wake Zones is limited to those areas that have been established by federal and state rulemaking or legislation and that are properly marked. No Wake Zones must display regulatory signs or buoys that conform to the standards of the U.S. Aids to Navigation (ATONS). A No Wake marker that does not conform to US ATONS standards or that has been placed in public trust waters without authorization is subject to removal. An unmarked No Wake Zone is not enforceable.
The Wildlife Resources Commission does not purchase or maintain No Wake markers. However, our Engineering Services Division can provide technical assistance regarding marker purchase and placement.

We got a $90 ticket in Ft. Lauderdale last June from waterway cops with attitude. We were trying to avoid making wake in our 12ft RIB but got waked by a passing faster vessel that threw water over the bow of our boat. We got the ticket!! I figure we were doing 4-5mph. At the time we were being written up, there were much faster vessels passing by, including the harbor taxi, that "were not making wake". It was a Friday afternoon, I guess they needed to make their weekly quota!

In Sydney we have a number of speed zones,(especially one under the Harbour Bridge where a harbour catamaran ferry at 30 knots ran down an IG a few years ago killing 3 people), and "no wake" and "reduce wake" zones which oddly don`t seem to prevent water skiing.
It is really a matter of commonsense and courtesy to others. You cannot instill commonsense in the plainly stupid, like operators of fast cruisers passing close by,usually on the half plane,dragging the stern creating deep wake that requires you to turn in or away,for fear of damage or injury. If you pass a kayaker, a rowing shell, an open boat anchored fishing,be courteous and safe, slow down.You will be appreciated and maybe next time someone will extend you the same courtesy. BruceK

In Sydney we have a number of speed zones,(especially one under the Harbour Bridge where a harbour catamaran ferry at 30 knots ran down an IG a few years ago killing 3 people),

We were there that night, in the hotel (Hilton?) under the Rocks end of the bridge. Lots of sirens and lights. I seem to recall reading over the next few days there was a question of whether the recreational boat was displaying the proper lights (or any lights). Never heard how it all came out, though.

We were there that night, in the hotel (Hilton?) under the Rocks end of the bridge. Lots of sirens and lights. I seem to recall reading over the next few days there was a question of whether the recreational boat was displaying the proper lights (or any lights). Never heard how it all came out, though.
The civil cases are unresolved as far as I know;from memory the Inquest blamed both, the ferry for operating fast on the wrong side of the bay thus limiting vision as they exited Circular Quay at speed, and the IG for not having nav lights on.I heard the IG was otherwise well lit up,and there was prior radio chatter about it proceeding without nav lights from skippers of ferries etc who clearly SAW it. The ferry was returning to base after completing its shift for the day,(?relaxed vigilance/keen to go home, hard to know,) but were they keeping a proper lookout? I suspect the easier job would be acting for the IG than the ferry in a civil case and liability would be apportioned between them.
One result was a 15kt restriction under the bridge, plus a "no anchoring" restriction after yet another ferry ran down a small anchored runabout fishing under the bridge, whose occupant died of a heart attack just after the collision. I exercise due caution around our ferries which have right of way,some are well skippered,but some.....BruceK

We live on a 7 mile long lake that winds out through a river into Lake Michigan. Boats over 26ft are required to be no wake on the lake. This results in the most inconsistent and stupid behavior.

While I am going 5 knots at no wake in a straight line minding my business, ski boats are going 20 mph kicking up 3 to 4 ft wakes for wake boards or pulling multiple tubers in circles without regard for the clockwise pattern on the lake, and house boats trying to plane throwing big rollers while a dozen grey hairs are half crocked drinking cocktails. Jet skis swarm like flies at speeds up to 60 mph.

I got pulled over by the sheriff today (weekday so no one else on the lake) and he said my wake was too big. I said "I was following you and your wake was bigger than mine." He said "yes, but your are over 26ft and therefore it is illegal for you!"

Go figure

Larry, perhaps it would be worthwhile to talk to the judge. That law is idiocy, or at least incompatible with your boat. On that lake, you can only operate at idle-speed. Bad for your engine(s).

Larry, perhaps it would be worthwhile to talk to the judge. That law is idiocy, or at least incompatible with your boat. On that lake, you can only operate at idle-speed. Bad for your engine(s).
Judges don't make the laws, they impose penalties for those convicted of breaking the laws.

Whatever governing bodies that make the laws are the only ones who can change them.

Just so we don't get into an argument on this subject, laws that are deemed unconstitutional (in the USA) can be overturned by judges. A "No Wake" law is unlikely to be deemed unconstitutional.

What annoys me are the "No Wake" signs put up by individuals who have no authority to do so. Some have copied the official signs so you don't really know if yo are violating a real No Wake zone or just someone's make believe one. ...

Perhaps I should explain my statement a little better so all can understand:

A No Wake sign or zone placed by a private homeowner or group of homeowners is of course, not enforcable. The water police are unlikely to write a citation and even if they did, it would be invalidated in court.

The problem with these signs is, if they are good copies of the official signs (and you can buy the signs and bouys on line), the boater who is unfamiliar with the area will be inconvenienced by having to obey the signs, thinking that they are official signs or zones.

93414_L1

Overton's : Permafloat Marker Buoy - Anchor & Docking > Docks & Hardware > Floating Docks & Hardware :

I'm not sure what my philosophy is on no wake buoys....

In NJ, it seems every moon tide shifts their position to all sorts of places...so knowing where a no-wake zone exists is really hard if you are on the water alot and know where they are supposed to be.

I've taken pics (if I ever have to appeal a violation) of no wake buoys in boat slips, on the inlet's breaking bar, 2-3 tangled together...you know...pics that would make anyone smile at their relevance. :D

Fortunately NJ requires the police info on the buoys so private ones are easy to spot. Plus the "written guidelines" for no wake are specific enough...they ususlly cover where buoys usually are anyway.

However asI join the annual snowbird migration...I am worried about the states that are a little to "bubba" infested. :socool:

I love the speed trap just south of Beaufort, SC....4 mile bullcrap no wake zone....$1025 fine or 30 days in jail...:eek:

FWIW this is what I've decided to do about speed when no speed limit is posted.
If a smaller boat is approaching me in a channel and is going fast, I will not slow. If I'm passing a sailboat I'll attempt radio contact or sound my horn and ask him to slow down so I can give him a slow pass. More times than not I have to yell to get him to slow down. I slow for on-coming sailboats and other boats that are going slow in a channel.

If a boat is anchored on the side of a marked channel whose speed is not regulated, I'll slow if it's obvious my wake will cause him distress. I have to slow to nearly idle to effectively reduce my wake. At 7 kts I'm starting to plow and my wake is bigger than if I were on plane.

We live on a 7 mile long lake that winds out through a river into Lake Michigan. Boats over 26ft are required to be no wake on the lake. This results in the most inconsistent and stupid behavior.

I got pulled over by the sheriff today (weekday so no one else on the lake) and he said my wake was too big. I said "I was following you and your wake was bigger than mine." He said "yes, but your are over 26ft and therefore it is illegal for you!"

Go figure
Did you actually get fined, or just "pulled over" and cautioned?
You might get some sympathy from a Court, certainly ought to. Even though the law in this situation sounds silly,you are still in breach(it`s no excuse at law if running engines too slow is bad);and a Court might well say "it`s you on trial,not the sheriff". Sounds to me like the law needs changing, but it might also be saving you from the idiots on the water when the Lake is busier in season. BruceK.

On the AICW south of the Savannah River is a No Wake zone for larger boats (I don't remember exactly, perhaps > 20'). It seems strange and it seems unfair, but it's the law so I slowed down.

On the AICW south of the Savannah River is a No Wake zone for larger boats (I don't remember exactly, perhaps > 20'). It seems strange and it seems unfair, but it's the law so I slowed down.

Ron would that be as you go by Skidaway Island? Could be that a politician has a home on the water there. It is starting to make perfect sense. No big wakes, and he can use his runabout to zip up to the Savannah Yacht Club for dinner and back. Stranger things have happened.:mad:

Ron would that be as you go by Skidaway Island? Could be that a politician has a home on the water there. It is starting to make perfect sense. No big wakes, and he can use his runabout to zip up to the Savannah Yacht Club for dinner and back. Stranger things have happened.:mad:

Yep, that's the place.

As I pass through these zones, I wonder if the tugs and barges obey them and if not, are they ticketed?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom