Lehman engine parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lehman parts

Closing next week on a new to us boat with twin Lehmans. Couls anyone recommend a source for parts such as raw water pump impellers?

Thanks,

Bob

I have always found the prices art American Diesel to be very fair market, and in some cases, down right cheap. I bought a 110am Balmar alternator and regulator from them that was $200 cheaper than from Defender. They ship out the same day.
R,

Lehman raw water pump impellers are either Jabsco, for the original pump, or Johnson for the replacement aftermarket pump. Most marine parts stores will have the impeller kits.

Lehman part

American Diesel in Virginia is the absolute authority on Lehman Parts.

Closing next week on a new to us boat with twin Lehmans. Couls anyone recommend a source for parts such as raw water pump impellers?

Thanks,

Bob

Ford Lehman parts source

American Diesel Corp., Brian Smith 804-435-6420
Kilmarnock, Virgina is the absolute authority on parts.
He bought the molds from the British. Has all pumps, manifolds, etc.
Also I have a used 120 parts engine for sale for $900.00.
San Diego
Kurt 480-948-7053

American Diesel Corp., Brian Smith 804-435-6420
Kilmarnock, Virgina is the absolute authority on parts.
He bought the molds from the British.

Well, no. His father, Bob Smith, worked for Lehman in New Jersey. Lehman bought Ford of England Dorset diesels and marinized them into the FL120. Bob designed some of the marinization components. Later Lehman bought Ford of England Dover diesels and marinized them into the FL135. They also marinzed other Ford of England diesels.

Lehman eventually went out of business. Bob Smith started American Diesel to continue to supply parts and service for Ford Lehman engines. At some point he was joined by his son Brian.

Up until a year or two ago they also supplied a drop-in replacement for the FL120 using a then-currently made Ford of England diesel (don't know the model) which American Diesel marinized This engine developed 150 hp and required no modifications to anything to replace a crapped out Fl120. I have read that either this engine is no longer available or it can no longer be imported into the US anymore. In any event, the American Diesel drop-in replacement engine is no longer available. But they continue to sell parts for this and the older Ford Lehman engines as well as accessories like heat exchangers, upgrade raw water pumps to replace the flawed Lehman original, recovery coolant systems, and so on.

Capt Jerry

How many hours on the MTU pump body and what RPM is used for cruising. Was it the body, seals, or shaft that went down? Is it direct drive or belt driven?

Most MTU (and other engines ) owners carry a spare pump, too bad.

You can buy impellers from Jabsco or Johnson Pump for your Lehman. Any marine store should be able to get them from their wholesale distributor.

it had 2000 hrs on it,the shaft went bad,it is belt driven.1800 rpm.1000 dollars for the shaft. the seals went bad also and chewed up the shaft i guess

Greetings,
I can't remember who told me but the same impeller fits both the Jabsco and the Johnson pump. An alternate to American diesel (AD) is Bomac marine
Bomac Marine- Ford Lehman Engines, Parts, Tanks, Phaser Generators and Service
I'm NOT dissing AD in the least. They ARE the authority on Lehmans and I have dealt with them on several occasions and will continue to do so in the future. That being said, I have also had good dealings with Bomac.

Hi Bruce,Nice to see on this forum some people from our part of the world,i have a clipper 36 built in 1988 it's moored on lake macquarie near newcastle. I have been looking for parts for my 120hp ford lehman not easy to find in australia but i'm going to try fred warner in the states like you suggested in a previous post. Paul

Hi Bruce,Nice to see on this forum some people from our part of the world,i have a clipper 36 built in 1988 it's moored on lake macquarie near newcastle. I have been looking for parts for my 120hp ford lehman not easy to find in australia but i'm going to try fred warner in the states like you suggested in a previous post. Paul
Hi Paul, Welcome to the Forum, you`ll find it helpful. I don`t know of other members on Lake Macquarie,seems you are the first. There is one on Pittwater(AndyG) and one other on Sydney Harbour.
The parts from Fred Warner were fitted by my diesel mechanic and seem fine.He thought heat exchangers made specially here would cost $1200 each,but be in s/steel. There is supposed to be someone on Pittwater who does Lehman parts but I`ve never found him. You could ask AndyG. I recently bought 2 radiator caps from Bob Smith in USA, keep him in mind,he wrote the "Welcome" page in the FL Engine Book I got with the boat and deserves supporting.If ever I see a worn out engine for sale I`ll buy it for parts. Bruce

Regards finding impellers for Ford Lehman engines. If you have a FL 120 get a Jabsco Impeller #1210 or equivalent. The 120 uses either a Jabsco or Johnson pump - they both use the same impeller. It's a very popular impeller and you can find it heavily "discounted" by many brick and mortar stores as well as on-line sources. Do look for the pieces of damaged impellers in the heat exchanger, the oil cooler and the tranny cooler. I paid a big price for failing to do just that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom