Moonstruck in the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I have enjoyed reading about you guys cruising in the NW. Here is hoping that Eric has a safe journey to his new home waters.

Moonstruck is in Marsh Harbour awaiting the replacement battery charger. Here is a link to the 2012 Bahama cruise page. The last thing is a link that should be put up with sound on and full screen. Now it is time to go play.

Bahamas 2012 | Moonstruck's Blog

Entirely to much fun being had there. :angel:

Where's my pass port and paper work? :speed boat:

Entirely to much fun being had there. :angel:

Where's my pass port and paper work? :speed boat:

Thanks, Ben. For those that have missed (and are interested) our 2010 trip to the Bahamas with the 4 grandkids, here is a link

BAHAMAS TRIP May/June ’10 update 6/17/10 | Moonstruck's Blog

By the way, this page reads from bottom to top to be in order of the trip. Sorry 'bout that.

The kids are growing up so fast now, that it is nearly impossible for us to get them all together at once. They love it when we do. It is nice to hear, "where are we going next, Grandad". We surely do miss them on this trip.

Last edited:
Don - How long timewise from N Myrtle Beach or Murrells Inlet to Charleston at 7-8 knts? A rough estimate would be good (save me from getting the calculator out). Outside or in? Any must stop places along the way?
Thanks, KJ

Don - How long timewise from N Myrtle Beach or Murrells Inlet to Charleston at 7-8 knts? A rough estimate would be good (save me from getting the calculator out). Outside or in? Any must stop places along the way?
Thanks, KJ

Hi KJ,

You should be able to make it offshore in a day, but you will need to pick your day carefully. I guess you could go up to Little River and get in the ICW or down to the Wacamaw. If you come into Charleston after dark watch the rock jetties at the entrance.

I'm (the boat) is already on the ICW at Anchor Marine in N Myrtle Beach.
What are the the optimum conditions for outside, say toward the end of Oct?
I won't be in a hurry so I could do the ICW if conditions outside were not favorable, even if it is slower.
I'm sure this has also been discussed ad infinitum, but are there any good, reasonable moorings in Charleston Harbor? KJ

KJ-we used to make it from N. Myrtle Beach to Charleston in about 10-11 hours at about 7 knots or so. Once you are past the ditch in MB, it is a nice ride. Down the Waccamaw River is beuatiful. I always stayed at Charleston City Marina, nice folks, good location and pretty reasonalbe prices.

Thanks for the info. KJ

I'm (the boat) is already on the ICW at Anchor Marine in N Myrtle Beach.
What are the the optimum conditions for outside, say toward the end of Oct?
I won't be in a hurry so I could do the ICW if conditions outside were not favorable, even if it is slower.
I'm sure this has also been discussed ad infinitum, but are there any good, reasonable moorings in Charleston Harbor? KJ

KJ, one of the most beautiful parts of the ICW is the Waccamaw River just below Government Cut behind Myrtle Beach. I love the seclusion and anchoring in the narrow channels with moss draped Cypress trees on both sides. Sometimes even an old alligator will cruise by. Lots of night sounds.

Stop at Bucksport for home made sausage. Then George Town for a nice nights stay. There is a new fuel stop, and sometimes you can buy clams if you go up the channel to McClellansville. Isle of Palms Marina has a decent restaurant. If you haven't stayed there, Charleston City Marina with its Mega Dock is convenient and one of the most interesting and best run marinas on the coast. Lots to see and do. They have a courtesy van that will take and pick up at the historic district, Harris Teeters Supermarket, or West Marine. It is not something I would want to miss.

Take your time, and enjoy life along the ICW. Moonstruck cruises fast, but we use that speed to have more time for stopping along the way. If you haven't been cruising the SC and GA marshes, it is an acquired taste. Once acquired, the beauty and wild life along with the seclusion is awesome. Watch out for green head flies and other insects. They are necessary to deter yankees from staying too long in the South.

There are many marinas in the area on both sides of the harbor. You can check out the WATERWAY GUIDE or ACTIVE CAPTAIN along with Skipper Bob's book of anchorages. If you haven't joined activecaptain.com, I suggest that you do. Great info.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but you can tell I love the whole ICW.:smitten:

Forgot to mention offshore conditions. I would think 2-3' seas about 9 second duration would be the limit I would want in your boat. That would usually be about 10 knots of wind.

Last edited:
Wow! Nothing beats local knowledge. Thanks.
I joined ActiveCaptain quite some time ago, however, I still value input from the folks here. KJ

ps I saved your info into a reference file.

KJ, here is a link to a blog page that we did a 1500 mile trip from the West coast of FL down through the Keys and up to Washington, DC.

There also pages from the Chesapeake to Hilton Head and Hilton Head back around to Boca Grande.

Boca Grande to Chesapeake ’07 | Moonstruck's Blog

KJ, one of the most beautiful parts of the ICW is the Waccamaw River just below Government Cut behind Myrtle Beach. I love the seclusion and anchoring in the narrow channels with moss draped Cypress trees on both sides. Sometimes even an old alligator will cruise by. Lots of night sounds.

Stop at Bucksport for home made sausage. Then George Town for a nice nights stay. There is a new fuel stop, and sometimes you can buy clams if you go up the channel to McClellansville. Isle of Palms Marina has a decent restaurant. If you haven't stayed there, Charleston City Marina with its Mega Dock is convenient and one of the most interesting and best run marinas on the coast. Lots to see and do. They have a courtesy van that will take and pick up at the historic district, Harris Teeters Supermarket, or West Marine. It is not something I would want to miss.

Take your time, and enjoy life along the ICW. Moonstruck cruises fast, but we use that speed to have more time for stopping along the way. If you haven't been cruising the SC and GA marshes, it is an acquired taste. Once acquired, the beauty and wild life along with the seclusion is awesome. Watch out for green head flies and other insects. They are necessary to deter yankees from staying too long in the South.

There are many marinas in the area on both sides of the harbor. You can check out the WATERWAY GUIDE or ACTIVE CAPTAIN along with Skipper Bob's book of anchorages. If you haven't joined activecaptain.com, I suggest that you do. Great info.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but you can tell I love the whole ICW.:smitten:

Forgot to mention offshore conditions. I would think 2-3' seas about 9 second duration would be the limit I would want in your boat. That would usually be about 10 knots of wind.

That's good info.That's a few hours south east of me and where I plan to be on the weekends and short vacations.I scribe to your blog. :thumb:

Yes, good stuff indeed. I feel like I'm reading a National Geographic travelogue.
It's good to know there is still "adventure" out there for those willing to put the effort out to find it. KJ

ps thanks for clearing up the great Beaufort vs Beaufort mystery.

That's good info.That's a few hours south east of me and where I plan to be on the weekends and short vacations.I scribe to your blog. :thumb:

Thanks Ben, we will try to keep it interesting for you. We plan to do a long cruise through the Keys next season.

Where do you plan to keep your boat?

Last edited:
Thanks Ben, we will try to keep it interesting for you. We plan to do a long cruise through the Keys next season.

Where do you plan to keep your boat?

You're welcome.

I will be a trailer trawler.If I was going to leave her docked,I really like the area around the northern Savanna area.Not sure if there's a marina there.I was there for a quick visit with some fishing buddies back in the late 80's.Something there left me with a relaxed feeling.

You're welcome.

I will be a trailer trawler.If I was going to leave her docked,I really like the area around the northern Savanna area.Not sure if there's a marina there.I was there for a quick visit with some fishing buddies back in the late 80's.Something there left me with a relaxed feeling.

Savannah is on the SC/GA border. Hilton Head is a great place (about 15 miles) to boat out of. There are three marinas on Broad Creek. Broad Creek Marina, Palmetto Bay Marina, and Shelter Cove Marina. They are more expensive in ascending order. Shelter Cove has the most amenities, and is most expensive. That does not necessarily mean that it would be more to your liking. Check them all out.

Captain Woody's Restaurant at Palmetto Bay is a fun place with great "he" crab soup. Shelter Cove has about 7 restaurants around the harbor. Broad Creek Marina is totally laid back.

Savannah is on the SC/GA border. Hilton Head is a great place (about 15 miles) to boat out of. There are three marinas on Broad Creek. Broad Creek Marina, Palmetto Bay Marina, and Shelter Cove Marina. They are more expensive in ascending order. Shelter Cove has the most amenities, and is most expensive. That does not necessarily mean that it would be more to your liking. Check them all out.

Captain Woody's Restaurant at Palmetto Bay is a fun place with great "he" crab soup. Shelter Cove has about 7 restaurants around the harbor. Broad Creek Marina is totally laid back.

Thanks.That will probably be one of my first boating areas when I get down there.I will be sure to check out as many as possible.

oh you are making me miss the south carolina coast. I haven't been in so long. I keep getting emails about vacation rentals on Pawleys. sigh.

oh you are making me miss the south carolina coast. I haven't been in so long. I keep getting emails about vacation rentals on Pawleys. sigh.

By all means,pack up and head back.:thumb:

We spent Saturday night at Harbour Town Marina on Hilton Head in our little C-Dory and had a ball. We were surrounded by mega yachts but everyone was friendly. You have lots of restaurants to choose from, and bathroom facilities first class.
Gotta say the highlight Saturday evening was listening to a free concert by 3 high school kids, a group called the "Stepping Stones" (check them out on YouTube) They played a 2 hour set of classic rock and roll and they were damn good. Little kids were on the stage dancing with them. The best part of cruising to me is having these experiences.

Don,
I noticed a fishing rod rigged (blog) while you were under way.
Was that during the crossing or in Bahamian waters?
Any luck? KJ

Don,
I noticed a fishing rod rigged (blog) while you were under way.
Was that during the crossing or in Bahamian waters?
Any luck? KJ

22 1/2 knots is a pretty fast trolling speed. The rods are on board for Bahamas fishing. We did a little trolling, no luck yet. I will use the lighter rods for fishing out of the dinghy. By the way, you can ask for a Bahamas fishing permit for up to 4 anglers when you get your cruising permit.

22 1/2 knots is a pretty fast trolling speed. The rods are on board for Bahamas fishing. We did a little trolling, no luck yet. I will use the lighter rods for fishing out of the dinghy. By the way, you can ask for a Bahamas fishing permit for up to 4 anglers when you get your cruising permit.

Does the fishing permit allow you to take lobster?

We spent Saturday night at Harbour Town Marina on Hilton Head in our little C-Dory and had a ball. We were surrounded by mega yachts but everyone was friendly. You have lots of restaurants to choose from, and bathroom facilities first class.
Gotta say the highlight Saturday evening was listening to a free concert by 3 high school kids, a group called the "Stepping Stones" (check them out on YouTube) They played a 2 hour set of classic rock and roll and they were damn good. Little kids were on the stage dancing with them. The best part of cruising to me is having these experiences.

Harbor Town is good, but a little expensive for a long term stay. Shelter Cove also has a lot of entertainment around the harbor. HH is a good place to tie up for awhile.

Thanks -- good info. Interesting, crawfish = lobster.

Crawfish ≠
Lobster

They call them crawfish down here. Some people call them spiny lobsters. Whatever they are called, they are good eating if quite a bit different from Maine lobsters.

The preferred method of cooking is broiled in the oven on on the grill. I like the grill. Oops, we have one now on the gunnel of Moonstruck. Frozen only now that the season is closed. They are still very good after being frozen.

Now we could start a whole nother thread on stone crab claws. The main eating fish down here are grouper, snapper, and mahi mahi (dolphin fish). Plenty of it, and delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom