Wood interiors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
I have Teak paneling throughout my Heritage. I am looking for the best cleaner/polish/oil for the inside that provides shine, protection and repels water and mositure.
Anyone have any recommendations?

I have Teak paneling throughout my Heritage. I am looking for the best cleaner/polish/oil for the inside that provides shine, protection and repels water and mositure.
Anyone have any recommendations?

What type of finish is on the teak? Is it varnished?

A good quality varnish on a teak interior should last many many years with absolutely no maintenance and for spills and splashes, a wet rag will wipe it up.

If it can be removed from the boat, I also use a furniture grade lacquer for a no maintenance finish. Spraying lacquer is soooooooooo much faster and easier. Spray it today and put it on the boat tomorrow.

Larry,
Finish appears to be satin low gloss

Lena has been using Murphy Oil Soap for the last 15 years on our boat (s) interiors including the varnished teak. It seems to work for us and besides, who am I to argue with the admiral. :flowers:

Murphy Oil Soap | Solution for Gently Cleaning Wood Floors, Furniture, Hardwood and More

When we do maintenance varnish work on the interior, I'm not dealing with trying to remove any heavy duty waxes and/or oils. A lite sanding and a quick rub down with alcohol and we have always had good adhesion with the new varnish.

I almost forgot. Lena uses the "original" formula and just follows the directions.

Last edited:
I use Murphy's Oil Soap on our all wood interiors--parquet floor and teak walls.. I love it. Cleans great and smells good too.

Gina
M/V Island Time
Cape Coral, Fl

We switched to Pledge Revitalizing Oil this year and have been very pleased with the results. Before that it was teak oil.

RevitalizingOil_L.jpg

Wood Oil | Furntiure Care | Pledge®

The previous owner used liquid gold on our teak and she gleams with good health. It smells "teaky" but the pledge orange looks interesting.

Baby Oil works great on nude teak and mahogany! :thumb:

Quick and easy application, nice sheen; the more coats the merrier - soaks right in, long lasting, moist cloth for clean up on oiled surfaces spilled upon. :dance:

Scott's Liquid Gold for 25 years or so.

My broker recomended: For and older boat that needs to be cleaned up, first wipe down with denatured alcohol to get a clean surface. Then get a soft rag wet with water, put some old english furniture polish on the rag and wipe it all down. He said the wet rag is crucial as it limits the ammount of old english that goes on and helps spread it evenly. If done right it will be dry in 1/2 and hour. This is meant for teak with existing varnish on it. Have not tried it yet. I am still fixing things that need fixing.

I also use old english, but mostly to cover, color scratchs.

Shellac not lacquer or varnish was the interior finish on many early TT.

This is because it could be sprayed on with repeated passes so the interior could be finished in a morning.

Be sure your refinish or polishing stuff is compatible.

FF

I also use old english, but mostly to cover, color scratchs.
The brown version? I use it also. You have to be careful not to get it on anything but the wood because it stains.

I have places where the finish has worn away so at some point soon I'm looking at some sanding and refinishing. I also have a problem with fading. My interior woodwork (mahogany) is several different shades, depending on exposure. I may try a varnish stain to try to bring it all to a more uniform shade.

Interior natural timber is a bit like antique furniture,it patinates with age, antique enthusiasts are reluctant to return it to a new finish.
I`ve always understood shellac (derived from insect shells, aka french polish) is a "living" finish which permits the entry of polishes to the wood, there are specific polishes for rejuvenating french polish. Lacquers or varnishes become a finish on top which seals the wood so that anything applied on top is largely cosmetic.
A "too shiny/bright" interior varnish or lacquer can be mellowed by applying a good furniture wax,using furniture grade "steel wool".It can also be used to clean and wax an old dirty finish.
I recently had success applying teak stain to an area damaged and whitened by spray near the helm station. I diluted the stain with mineral turpentine and applied coats until I felt I had it right before re-varnishing. You can tell what the wood will look like when varnished by dabbing it with a wet finger. BruceK

Back
Top Bottom