Isinglass cleaner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Just wondering what luck y'all have had with the various products out there.

Best product out there IMHO is 210 spray.* Was recommended by the installer of my bridge enclosure in 2001.** When sold the boat in Aug 2007 eisenglass was as clear and supple as in 2001.* Used it twice a season (in NY) after sponging down windows with clear water and drying with Bounty paper towels(very soft and don't scratch), then sprayed on and simply wiped off.

Paul

Lemon Pledge works very well.

John:

I have had <u>extremely good luck </u>with my 30' Mainship Pilot Hard Top Sedan. I have had no issues with the isinglass or canvas whatsoever! (Sorry...but I just couldn't resist)

Walt***

Attachments

• photo library - 731.jpg
    photo library - 731.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 170
Good luck with Lemon Pledge here also.
Steve

I think the main difference between Lugger and Deere is that Lugger tries to maintain consistency in the engines' ancillary components over the years, while Deere will swap out suppliers on a regular basis.

And how does that keep your Isinglass clean.
What do you wipe it with a Deer or a Lugger.

Benn

Benn, don't you have Isinglass enclosures around your engines? Helps to keep them clean and shiny. Of course on the annual engine change/upgrade the different size/type of ancillary equipment makes the old curtains not fit as well on the new engine.

I thought everyone knew that...........
smile.gif

Ken Buck
just out of a 4 hour meeting with the big bosses, my brain is full and running over.

And AdamT expects us to give him a fair shake on the political threads....
smile.gif

John
All the canvas guys in our area reccoment the lemon pledge for normal cleaning, it also sheens water pretty good.

West Marine has a three step cleaner that works great for old glass, it makes it look new.

<address>I have found a product called PLEXUS, I use it on all clear plastic and it works great. It is a bit expensive ($10-can)*so inbetween applications I do use the pledge as a substitute. </address>

One thing that you dont want to use is a product called rejex, my neighbor was told by the sales rep it was good stuff for*isinglass but it turned the glass yellow and sticky.*

We have 23 panels, and used plexus for cleaning, and collinite wax for finish, and switched 2 yrs ago to Imar products. They have a cleaner, and a wax, and even after using regular products, the Imar cloth takes more dirt off. Sheens well in rain.
We do have strataglas, however it also works well on isenglass.

I use Imar on my Strataglass and it works well. They have a nice boat soap too (doesn't take off wax like some others). Pricey though.

I am using the IMAR products recommended by the Strataglass people. I does quite well. I have used Pledge in the past, but was warned away from Lemon Pledge. Can't remember why. IMHO, the products specifically designed to clean the isingglass-type windows work best. Have not tried the three-part WM product to renew an older window, but I will look into it.

We just had a new bimini and enclosure put on KMA... got finished yesterday, as a matter of fact. Apparently Imar is the recommended cleaner for Strataglass, but the installer showed me a little secret: A vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle. That's what he used for the final cleanup before he left.

KMA wrote:

We just had a new bimini and enclosure put on KMA... got finished yesterday, as a matter of fact. Apparently Imar is the recommended cleaner for Strataglass, but the installer showed me a little secret: A vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle. That's what he used for the final cleanup before he left.
Haven't used it on the curtains, but*it's a great general purpose cleaner for all sorts of hard surface and plastic stuff on the boat -- probably my most used cleaning product.

Don't use Plexas, its made for hard aircraft canopies. Pledge will yellow glass with age.

Here is the best and cheapest*you can use.

1/2 gallon distilled water
1 t Johnson's Baby Shampoo

Using wool mitten found in Walmart automotive department, wash glass, dry with chamois cloth.

Works better than ANYTHING comercially available.

-- Edited by marinetrader at 07:19, 2008-08-11

Ditto Imar products - but I have Imar's Strata Glass too. After all the $$$ I spent on my enclosure I'm sticking with the manufacturer's recommendation

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom