Efficiency!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
This is the battery charger shipped from Defender last evening. The US Postal Service may as well give up. They will never be this efficient I ordered it Thursday afternoon, shipped yesterday, and is in Miami ready for export to the Bahamas. WOW! Go UPS and FEDEX! HOOYAH!.

Miami, FL, United States 06/09/2012 8:30 A.M. Export Scan
06/09/2012 6:44 A.M. Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 06/09/2012 4:36 A.M. Departure Scan
06/09/2012 1:17 A.M. Arrival Scan
Windsor Locks, CT, United States 06/08/2012 11:12 P.M. Departure Scan
06/08/2012 8:42 P.M. Arrival Scan
Waterford, CT, United States 06/08/2012 7:29 P.M. Departure Scan
06/08/2012 6:03 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 06/08/2012 8:20 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Shipping a package to our son in the Air Force took 8+ days with the USPS. Similar size package 2 weeks later shipped UPS took 2 days for roughly the same price.

Welcome back Don. Your blog looks great.

Shipping a package to our son in the Air Force took 8+ days with the USPS. Similar size package 2 weeks later shipped UPS took 2 days for roughly the same price.

Welcome back Don. Your blog looks great.

Thanks. I had a similar experience with USPS. I ordered a GPS sensor for my lap top to be shipped Priority Mail. When I tracked it, it lay in Atlanta for 3 days before being scanned out. That will not get it with competition.

We now ship our camera and lighting gear to our shooting locations in the US via FedEx. We're talking some four or five hundred pounds of equipment including a full-size folding hand truck. It arrives at our location in one day, and despite the high cost it is still cheaper than if we took it with us on the plane with today's oversize and excess baggage charges.

Unfortunately we cannot use this method internationally because of customs requirements. For example even though we brought all our gear with us on the plane to Beijing it was impounded immediately upon arrival (we knew it would be and even had a letter telling customs to impound it) and then it took almost two days to get it released using the services of a broker (also arranged in advance).

Other parts of the world are not this difficult but the customs clearance business precludes our being able to ship the gear FedEx (or anyone else) ahead of us and have it available for use as soon as we arrive.

But it works great domestically.

I am not exactly sure how this works, but the Bahamas is said to have no import duty on repair parts for visiting yachts with a cruising permit. I faxed a copy of the cruising permit to Defender with instructions to put it and the invoice both inside and outside the shipping container. There is supposed to be like a $7.00 flat customs charge for the shipment. I'll know when it arrives.

We are not in Nassau but Marsh Harbour. That is in the out islands of Abaco. There is air service, so we are hanging here until the shipment arrives and is installed. The Xantrex packed up with the cooling fan not working. That caused it to charge then shut off from overheating. I have a squirel cage fan blowing on it now while on shore power. That takes care of it temporarily.

The Xantrex is a 40 amp charger. I have ordered a Charles 60 amp to give a little faster recovery time. I will post some other stuff in the flooded vs AGM thread.

We now ship our camera and lighting gear to our shooting locations in the US via FedEx. We're talking some four or five hundred pounds of equipment including a full-size folding hand truck. It arrives at our location in one day, and despite the high cost it is still cheaper than if we took it with us on the plane with today's oversize and excess baggage charges.

Unfortunately we cannot use this method internationally because of customs requirements. For example even though we brought all our gear with us on the plane to Beijing it was impounded immediately upon arrival (we knew it would be and even had a letter telling customs to impound it) and then it took almost two days to get it released using the services of a broker (also arranged in advance).

Other parts of the world are not this difficult but the customs clearance business precludes our being able to ship the gear FedEx (or anyone else) ahead of us and have it available for use as soon as we arrive.

But it works great domestically.

Thanks. I had a similar experience with USPS. I ordered a GPS sensor for my lap top to be shipped Priority Mail. When I tracked it, it lay in Atlanta for 3 days before being scanned out. That will not get it with competition.

Funny thing about that package we sent I forgot to tell. It took 4 days to get to San Antonio, when it scanned in I called and told him to expect it soon. It took another 4 or 5 days to get from SA to Lackland AFB.:ermm:

Yeah. Shipped my Kahlenberg horn/compressor/tank/controller to China for the builder to install on the Coot. Took about three weeks to clear customs. Suppose this was partly due to the government's fear its hefty import duty might be avoided. Builder had to show it was exempt from duty since the horn stuff was to be returned to me with the Coot.
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/...tarting feb/?action=view&current=IMG_1538.jpg
img_89997_0_3ed81655c1c59a1cdbc8169386c7867d.jpg

This is where it slows down. The package is awaiting US Customs clearance in Miami, then it will be Bahamian Customs clearance into the Bahamas. So, the buracracy has it now, and I don't expect it until Wednesday or so.

We don't have to pay duty because it's Boeing-owned equIpment, but the company does have to pay brokerage and customs fees. The value of our equipment is about half a million dollars. The fees paid for this trip total $18,000 some of which we get back when we leave. Most other countries are much easier and there are no fees. We travel with a carnet for the equipment but China does not accept these for the type of equipment we have, hence the broker and the delays in clearing customs.

Funny if i have something mailed to me it takes for ever but seems when i mail my house payment check in the mail, They cash it in like two days ?? i guess its all prospective.

We do a bit of international shipping and I've had pretty good luck with Priority Mail. I find that in most cases it is much cheaper than UPS or FedEx but the receiving country has to have a good postal system. When I have customers in countries with bad postal systems, they often request DHL as it is less expensive than UPS or FedEx. Priority Mail to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico from Florida is a real bargain. We sometimes send things to Nassau or Marsh Harbor on the Betty K Line. That's kind of fun as I get to deliver it to the ship. Cargo Freight Shipping Company Miami Bahamas Abaco Jacksonville - Betty K Agencies

Back
Top Bottom