Proper stowage of dingy outboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems to me to be a very dangerous way to transport a skiff/dinghy. It amybe alright in inland an sheltered waterways but I wouldn't want to be on the coast with that contraption on my stern.
I would also think it is a violation for a U.S. documented vessel- obstructing hailing port and vessel name.

I agree...for those that do this and THINK about it...they have the name on the bottom of the dingy, on some kind of material/wood that they throw over the dingy, or have the boat name repeated somewhere else...here's what I see from the USCG Documentation center...

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#top

I wonder if those could be ordered or obtained here in Oz..? Our duckboard is not wide enough for the full fancy Weaver version even if I wanted to spend that sort of money.

I suppose you could contact AM and ask them. Assuming they're still in business.

Last edited:
Peter I made enquiries of AM and they quoted $65 to ship to OZ. Still makes a less expensive solution than a Weaver system

Mappy
On our previous boat we had a 7.5 Livingston on Weaver davits. There was no reinforcement on the davit side, just big SS washers on both sides of the bolts. The 7.5 is stiffer than the 9s, but we have seen a 9 without any reinforcement on a Tolly swimstep. The OB was not mounted on the dinghy, though.

"Dingy" isn't in my dictionary, but crazy or insane elsewhere.

Peter I made enquiries of AM and they quoted $65 to ship to OZ. Still makes a less expensive solution than a Weaver system
Gee, thanks Rebel. I think I'll look into that. The price of the mount is still very attractive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom