Newbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirtytom

Veteran Member
We took our recently purchase boat to Deltaville Boatyard for upgrades and carpentry work. Should be ready the end of June and will move aboard, then spend two to three months on the Chesapeake. Leave it for the winter and hopefully continue our loop plans next year.

We are looking for a captain in the area to spend a few days showing us the workings of the boat?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The name of the boat is Dire Straits and if you see us on the water, stop by for a chat. We are Cajuns from South Louisiana and will always have a cajun dish to sample.:thumb:

DT

You might ask the folks at Doziers marina which is not far from where you are, they are very familiar with the area and should know of a Captain to help you.
I'm sending a private message to your profile page
Steve W
Thibodaux, LA

'Dire Straits' --- I like that name !:)

I would think that any knowledgeable boater around the marina could help you out with an orientation to your boat.

Thanks all, should be moving aboard around end of the month,

hope to see you on the water

DT

We took our recently purchase boat to Deltaville Boatyard for upgrades and carpentry work. Should be ready the end of June and will move aboard, then spend two to three months on the Chesapeake. Leave it for the winter and hopefully continue our loop plans next year.

We are looking for a captain in the area to spend a few days showing us the workings of the boat?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The name of the boat is Dire Straits and if you see us on the water, stop by for a chat. We are Cajuns from South Louisiana and will always have a cajun dish to sample.:thumb:

DT

Be very careful of taking "just some captain's " advice on systems. Or anyone else's advice for that matter. Not that they will be wrong...but there is so many different set ups and gear on boats that work completely different from one to the next....a sweeping orientation may lead you astray in several areas.

I always tell people to review any literature aboard after I discuss their boat or research the gear I have no personal experience with.

Too many boaters and captains for that matter have lots of time on the water and that is their only claim to fame. Understanding complex systems you have to keep up with the literature about them and have some practical experience with them to even remotely understand/explain them.

Hi DT-

I saw your post that you had some carpentry work done in the Deltaville, VA area a couple years ago - we may have some need for carpentry in the same are, can you endorse the folks that did your work?

Specifically, how was the finished product?
Were they on-time and on-budget?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
-Kent (Apres Ski)

Understanding complex systems you have to keep up with the literature about them and have some practical experience with them to even remotely understand/explain them.

In simpler terms GET DA BOOK!

For every item on the boat , read Da Book , to find what , how and why it does what it was installed to do.

DT sold his boat last year, I don't think he follows the forum any more.

DT sold his boat last year, I don't think he follows the forum any more.

If he is still listed under community as a member, a private e-mail would probably get to him.

If he is still listed under community as a member, a private e-mail would probably get to him.

"Normally" that happens if you send the member a Private Message. Many folks choose not to get email alerts sent for post activity in a thread.

For some folks, reading the book(s) isn't much of a help. Call it "mechanically inclined" or what ever, some folks can easily understand mechanical things by reading a book and some cannot. Some need to be shown and some folks are best served by using a checkbook or credit card.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom