Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
skipperdude
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
SD, Every boat is different but I have done this dozens of times. If you have a traditional stuffing box, you can just slide the shaft as far aft as it will go until it hits the rudder. You should be able to unbolt the transmission and slide it back until the spine is clear. As you said, you will need to block the aft end of the engine. I don't know that I have ever seen a boat with no mounts and bolted directly to the stringers. The vibration must be something special. We are actually about to pull ours for a thorough check and seal replacement. We have a dripless system but don't anticipate any problems since I have done this before also. Not a big deal. Depending on your hours you might consider replacing the damper plate while the transmission is out. Be sure and realign the shaft after everything is back in. Chuck
Yeah the hard mount thing is different but on past threads this was discussed. It seems common on older Commercial fish boats.
question on the damper plate. I am not sure where this is. I will check with Cat and Twin Disc to see if it is a wear item. Thanks for the tip.

As to realigning the shaft. Is this a procedure requiring a specialized approach with special tools and measurements? Once again I am unfamiliar with the procedure.

SD