Fatal accident in Coast Guard Auxiliary, now RCM-SAR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koliver

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Retreat
Vessel Make
C&L 44
This is the organization that saves lives throughout the waters we boat in. I am a member but I don't get to go on the rescue boats, I only do Courtesy Inspections (CE). The Skookumchuk rapids are the wildest, craziest waters this SAR team has in their area.

2 Sunshine Coast RCM-SAR Volunteers Killed in Accident UPDATED JUN 4/12 12:30pm with name of second victim

The Transportation Safety Board is leading the investigation after two volunteers from the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue's Halfmoon Bay Unit died when their boat capsized in the Skookumchuck Narrows yesterday...
The rigid hull inflatable was being used for training when it ran into trouble around 11:30 in the morning. Sergeant Dan Bodden is with the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre. One of the first boats to respond was the Halfmoon Bay unit's second boat, which was also in the area as part of the training.
Sgt Bodden says two men on board were plucked quickly from the water, but two female crew members couldn't be located, "When search and rescue technician from the Coromorant helicopter arrived they were lowered down and had a look inside and then the two deceased females were located."
Randy Strandt is the president of RCM-SAR, formerly known as the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
He says these are the first fatalities in the organization's history... and it's left their tight knit group in shock, "I can't state enough the service they've given and, obviously they knew there were risks, but never would anyone imagine this type of thing could happen."
That sense of shock extends to us here at 91.7 The Coast. One of the victims, Angie Nemeth (43), was our office and traffic manager...
Bob Morris is the president of Westwave Broadcasting. Click "Listen" to hear his statement on behalf of all of us here at CKAY.
The other victim was 51 year old Beatrice Sorensen who worked for the Sunshine Coast Community Services Society.
The TSB's Chris Krepski says a team from the Vancouver field office arrived on the Sunshine Coast late Sunday, and has now taken possession of the RCM-SAR boat and is busy interviewing surviving crew members and other witnesses. He says the preliminary inspection of the boat and the information from the interviews will determine if the TSB launches a full scale investigation.

Very sad to hear. It's been our observation and the experience of friends who've needed help on the water that the Canadian Coast Guard and their auxiliary arms are far more responsive to boaters than the USCG. I've even witnessed an incident where when the USCG refused to send a helicopter to airlift an injured child off one of the smaller islands in the San Juan's, the Canadian Coast Guard did. A great organization in my opinion and I'm very sorry to hear of its loss.

There are many similar quotes and this is one of many that seems appropriate....

A nation that fails to honor its heroes,
soon will have no heroes to honor....Winston Churchill

Remember them is your thoughts....they earned it.

How very sad. I know it won't help the family situation (including the CG family), but I sure hope that some understanding of the incident comes from the interviews. How terrible it must be for them. God bless 'em.

This hit very close to home, as members of the same unit (Halfmoon Bay) attended our boat last May when we had an engine failure in rough seas. They were very professional, courteous and helpful when they took my son & girlfriend into Secret Cove due to the sea state (not obvious in the attached photo).
My heart goes out to their families and fellow members of the RCM-SAR Halfmoon Bay unit.

Attachments

• DSC_0708.jpg
    DSC_0708.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 150
Back
Top Bottom