Dripless seals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
I pulled out a transmission to work on and had to move the prop shaft back 2". I have a packing shaft log. A buddy of mine with the same transmission wants to pull his out but has a dripless packing. What now?

I pulled out a transmission to work on and had to move the prop shaft back 2". I have a packing shaft log. A buddy of mine with the same transmission wants to pull his out but has a dripless packing. What now?

what now what????? :confused::confused::socool:

To state the obvious, check the documentation for the dripless shaft seal. That should make it clear, but if it doesn't contact the manufacturer with yiur question.

Maybe Obummer might have a view on it....just trying to be helpful....

Even if the Messiah had anything to say on the subject, he would have to get permission from Valerie Jarrett to state it.:lol:

If his dripless shaft seal has a stainless 'donut' shaped object on the shaft just before a rubber bellows , then loosten the 2 set screws on the sides of the donut . Then he can slide the shaft through that and aft out of the way.

If his dripless shaft seal has a stainless 'donut' shaped object on the shaft just before a rubber bellows , then loosten the 2 set screws on the sides of the donut . Then he can slide the shaft through that and aft out of the way.

the manufacturer recommends that those se screws be replaced every time they are loosened...I can afree as many people have an issue with keeping that donut in place...to the point where the manufacturer even recommends installing a clamp ahead of the donut so it is less likely to move.

Then the shaft can be moved back in situ, without a haul-out. The boat owner is a "check-writer" and is trying to avoid being taken for a ride.

Back
Top Bottom