Ocean Gem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hugh Paterson

Vessel Name
Golden view
Vessel Make
40ft Scottish Seine Net Trawler
Greetings and Salutations from Scotland. I picked up on the Trawler Forum while I was using the "goggle box" comparing Trawler conversions around the globe. We are currently refitting a 60ft retired Ring netter in Glasgow as a long range cruising boat. Haviing completed the hull repairs and most of the repaint, shes now back in the water ready for Phase 2, the deck conversion and interior. Will post pictures and details as time allows, but shes a bit "different" from most of the vessels on here.;)
regards
Hugh Paterson

Welcome to our forum. We will look forward to the remainder of your conversion. Post photos when you have a chance.

Welcome aboard Hugh and we'll all be awaiting for the story(s) on what you found and what you did to fix or retrofit it as well most importantly, the pictures too.

Every time I think of 'wooden boats' I think about the time my Father-in-law took an old wooden boat and tried to make it into a new wooden boat by installing a new keel, a few broken ribs and all the planks. He actually managed to do one or two a year. Anyway he asked me to help him lift the stripped down boat that looked like a fossil while he pushed the keel under it. So being that I was still dating his favourite daughter, I was more than willing to lend him a hand to enhance my cool impression. So I leaned into it and lifted. I believe that boat was about 20' long so being the strong stud I was up it came and stern it went and down it went. It looked like a pile of tooth picks laying in a heap with somewhat of a transom tilted arse sideways.

The thing that surprised me was he never swore, chased me off or hit me with a broken rib. I guess he figured everyone deserves one chance to screw up and that was mine.

It always made me wonder why I was never allowed near his boat building shed whenever I came around but I think it was to keep the grandkids from hurting themselves by tripping up or cutting themselves on a chisel.

Elwin

Last edited:
Ah well that saves me posting the link to the photo stream.....many thanks. We might be plodding out tomorrrow for a couple of hours up one of the clyde sea lochs for a bar-b-q, if we go out will get a few of her on the water. Will be moving the wheelhouse forward shortly to start work on the deck saloon, will post more pics of that as we do it. Still whacking out and rewiring some more of the 24v D.C. on either side of the engine room first.
cheers
Hugh

I've been following your post at the wood boat forum. I recognized your name right away. Like I said above, big fan of what you are doing saving it from the chainsaw death most of them are seeing.

Having had a 40 ft wood boat, twin 6V53 GM power, I can appreciate your efforts.

Having had a 40 ft wood boat for 22 years, owner maintained, twin Chrysler Nissan power, I too can appreciate your efforts.

Ah the Gems on her second Engine its an NT855-M Cummins, seems to be fine at the moment, but before I do any "distant waters" cruising I reckon we will be giving her a half life rebuild, crank cam and head anyway. Too busy on planks frames and deck first.
Hugh

Hugh,
What was the original power plant in Gem and when was the Cummins put in.
What gear box and ratio installed.
Nice work.
Cheers
Benn

Evening, the original engine was a Gardner (six cylinder) quite a fast boat from what some of her ex crew tell me. The Cummins was stuck in 86/87, and she was laid up in late 96, so she worked for 10 years with the Cummins. She was turning a 5 blade prop then, it was taken off and sold and now turns a 4 blade:ermm: The Cummins has had a cylinder head rebuild in those ten years + a new camshaft, im going to " fettle" the engine a bit when I have sorted out the deck and new saloon and interior. The gearbox is a twin disc, dont have the ratio to hand....sori, not chucked her down a measured mile but shes averaging 8 knots at two thirds revs. Will know more when I get the electronics back on her in a few weeks. We stripped out the radar plotter GPS and Sonar package when we started stripping down the 24v DC to the wheelhouse a few weeks ago. Were relocating it forward onto a new plinth then adding a deck saloon aft of that. On completion we will re-instal the electronics and I will know whats shes doing SOG:D

Awesome project, but she sure looks worth it. I love the old Gardners, but the 855 Cummins must be a nice swap for that boat, and easy to find parts.

That reminds me of the Bill Buchan owned trawler that was purchased in Scottland and relocated to the PNW...extensive writeup in one of the magazines...I saw it at a Wooden Boat Show maybe 10 years ago, and it was at Skyline marina in Anacortes for years (for sale)..."(something) Star"...then again he raced "Star" boats and I might be confused...anybody remember the boat?

Last edited:
Hugh,
Did you think of going back to a Gardner as it would be a great choice for cruisin. Should imagine Gem had a 6L3B originally.
I have just re engined my own boat with a fully rebuilt 6LXB
One thing about the UK or Aus, parts for Gardners are not hard to come by.

Radiant Star - found it:
0011.jpg

Too bad it's got those forward raked pilothouse windows that Marin thinks make it a poseur. ;)

Oh aye Radiant Stars a nice looking boat, the Gardner would be nice but I like the Cummins. Parts are easily obtained and I used to work for a Cummins dealer so I have a "backup" system on tap if I need tech help with the engine.
Hugh

Back
Top Bottom