Engine alarm buzzer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weebobby

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Painters Cove
Vessel Make
1997 Bayliner 5788
One of the engine alarms suddenly started buzzing continuously when idling after a long run. The engine oil levels and oil pressure seems ok. This is on a 610 hp MAN diesel on my Bayliner
Next day when starting up the same thing happened, continuous buzzing , but pressure and temperature matches the other engine. Since we were halfway between Shearwater and Prince Rupert I disabled the alarm and continued on with a close eye on temps etc all the way.

So what is causing this, I suspect a faulty sender but not sure where sender is located or how to test it out. Are replacement senders readily available or do I need a special one?
Any advise will be appreciated

Bob​

One of the engine alarms suddenly started buzzing continuously when idling after a long run.​

Which one?

Idling for a long time isn't good. My engine's builder (JD) says not to idle longer than five minutes.

Which one?

Idling for a long time isn't good. My engine's builder (JD) says not to idle longer than five minutes.
[/INDENT]

Mark, This was just as we idled down approaching the anchorage after a 7 hour run.
The alarm is just marked "engine alarm" and I am "assuming" it is a low oil pressure alarm but oil pressure and engine temps were OK and exactly the same as the other engine.
Bob

Last edited:
Bob sent you a PM. Will check in with you later.

Try switching gauges from engine in question to the other engine even if you have to use jumper wires. That will tell you if the senders are faulty. Easier said than done, I know, but that would be the best way to troubleshoot.

Mark, This was just as we idled down approaching the anchorage after a 7 hour run.
The alarm is just marked "engine alarm" and I am "assuming" it is a low oil pressure alarm but oil pressure and engine temps were OK and exactly the same as the other engine.
Bob

Betcha something is wrong with your sensor(s). I'm assuming you've checked your oil/fluid levels. (Glad I've only one engine. Less to worry about.)

Last edited:
Disconnecting an alarm buzzer is not a good idea unless you know for sure that there's a defective sender or circuit. You might have another engine problem and have no warning until it's too late.

capt jerry has the right idea for troubleshooting - swap the sending units and see if the "trouble" moves with the sender.

[/INDENT]

And yet big rigs and delivery trucks often idle for hours at a time. And of course, we boaters often endure "Idle Speed - No Wake" zones, sometimes several miles long.

A friend of mine had an alarm that kept going off.
He said he fixed it when I asked how and what he did .
He said I pulled the fuse.

OK.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom